• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Brian Fish

citygriz

Let me state first off, I am not a Cat hater. My best buds from high school, both "brains" with high IQ's and off-the-chart test scores, went to Montana State. And while we retain a rivalry, it's always friendly, never hateful. As my Dad once told me, "Hate will eat you up." So what I'm about to say is not to roil our rivalry or ruffle feathers.

Which is, I think Brian Fish is in a lot of trouble at Montana State. I think he gets one more year to turn it around, and that's all. And given the talent we have returning, there is no chance he beats us next year.

But more important, Fish has failed on two key recruits, Brendan Howard and Mack Anderson. Howard is Montana State legacy, brother Bobby played for the Cats, while his Mom played for their women's team. Instead he signed with Eastern Washington, which could come back to haunt us as well. And of course, Mack Anderson was a star at Bozeman High, and a guy the Cats critically wanted and needed. In fact, the Howard/Anderson duo may have been as important to Montana State as Ray Howard and Zip Rhoades were for us back in the day. That's how much those signings might have meant to the Cats, had Fish closed the deal. That he didn't indicates to me that there is something afoul in that program.

...if intensity translated into wins...
...fish would be undefeated...
...wish the guy some luck...
...fun to watch coach...

... :cool: ...

There is no question Fish's job is on the line. He's 30-43 in Big Sky play and 50-75 overall. Expectations are the real crusher -- with Tyler Hall coming back and MSU coming off a decent year, the MSU fan base expected much more than they got this past year. Anybody who saw ISU run the Bobcats off their home court the last week of the season certainly expected more effort from MSU.

Other coaches who are on the "hot seat" this coming season: Idaho State's Bill Evans, who has a 40-73 record in Big Sky play and has yet to win a conference tournament game; and NAU's Jack Murphy, who is 44-69 in league play and coming off a 5-27 year.

I'm surprised they'd even consider giving him one more year. It's obvious he's lost that team.

AZGrizFan said:
I'm surprised they'd even consider giving him one more year. It's obvious he's lost that team.

His contract goes till after next year...If you let him go, you pay him that money, and pay his replacement as well.

You kiddin me? You got it all backwards.
Actual W/L records are meaningless when shit ponds are involved. Only inflated hopes count. That’s where the bobcat saying came from: “Hope in the stadium, shit in the pond and see which one fills up first.”
I’m surprised the Cat People have not offered him an extension. 3 years min; or even a lifetime contract.
It’s the bobcat way.

Bengal visitor said:
There is no question Fish's job is on the line. He's 30-43 in Big Sky play and 50-75 overall. Expectations are the real crusher -- with Tyler Hall coming back and MSU coming off a decent year, the MSU fan base expected much more than they got this past year. Anybody who saw ISU run the Bobcats off their home court the last week of the season certainly expected more effort from MSU.

Other coaches who are on the "hot seat" this coming season: Idaho State's Bill Evans, who has a 40-73 record in Big Sky play and has yet to win a conference tournament game; and NAU's Jack Murphy, who is 44-69 in league play and coming off a 5-27 year.
Just watching Brian Fish on the sidelines, I thought he would have a heart attack or stroke. I feel for the guy as he is giving it all he has. Tyler Hall never seemed the same after he had what was reported as "flu". In fact, MSU was hit hard this year and I thought UM dodged that bullet. As for Bill Evans at Idaho State, I thought he made the most of the talent he has in Pocatello. I think ISU over achieved. I think he is on the way up with that program. NAU simply has to competer with the two Ariz schools for the players and that is tough, too.

I am honestly surprised that Murphy isn't gone already. Maybe he can turn it around, but there really isn't anywhere to go but up from this year. I like NAU when they are competitive. What Jack has put together over his tenure is crap. MTJack deserves better than that. So does Strohman.

MSU is losing another player. Info will roll out soon on it. They lost two prized recruits and now another is leaving. Something is not right over there.

Fish is a joke and a terrible coach. 3 guys left their team during the season because they couldn't stand him. They were one of the worst teams in the Big Sky and will be again next year. Fish should have been fired last week

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

His contract goes till after next year...If you let him go, you pay him that money, and pay his replacement as well.

Yeah, I get that. STILL surprised he's not gone.

citay said:
Let me state first off, I am not a Cat hater. My best buds from high school, both "brains" with high IQ's and off-the-chart test scores, went to Montana State. And while we retain a rivalry, it's always friendly, never hateful. As my Dad once told me, "Hate will eat you up." So what I'm about to say is not to roil our rivalry or ruffle feathers.

Which is, I think Brian Fish is in a lot of trouble at Montana State. I think he gets one more year to turn it around, and that's all. And given the talent we have returning, there is no chance he beats us next year.

But more important, Fish has failed on two key recruits, Brendan Howard and Mack Anderson. Howard is Montana State legacy, brother Bobby played for the Cats, while his Mom played for their women's team. Instead he signed with Eastern Washington, which could come back to haunt us as well. And of course, Mack Anderson was a star at Bozeman High, and a guy the Cats critically wanted and needed. In fact, the Howard/Anderson duo may have been as important to Montana State as Ray Howard and Zip Rhoades were for us back in the day. That's how much those signings might have meant to the Cats, had Fish closed the deal. That he didn't indicates to me that there is something afoul in that program.

I agree 100 percent with you on Anderson. But talking to Big Sky assistants, Howard is not a D1 player. Montana never wanted him and MSU was never that high on him either. A lot, and I mean a lot, of people were surprised when EWU stuck with him and gave him a scholarship

kyle_sample said:
Anderson. But talking to Big Sky assistants, Howard is not a D1 player. Montana never wanted him and MSU was never that high on him either. A lot, and I mean a lot, of people were surprised when EWU stuck with him and gave him a scholarship

...hello..waiting for this to come out...
...is howard still even in their program...
...not sure he can play at the naia level...

... :shock: ...

WaGriz4life said:
Fish is a joke and a terrible coach. 3 guys left their team during the season because they couldn't stand him. They were one of the worst teams in the Big Sky and will be again next year. Fish should have been fired last week

agree with this. except that i'll point out two of those kids were cancers. I've been harder on fish than anyone but he can't be blamed for those two.

the rest of your post is spot on unfortunately.

kyle_sample said:
citay said:

I agree 100 percent with you on Anderson. But talking to Big Sky assistants, Howard is not a D1 player. Montana never wanted him and MSU was never that high on him either. A lot, and I mean a lot, of people were surprised when EWU stuck with him and gave him a scholarship

We will see how Anderson turns out. He needs to improve a LOT to become a D-I starter....IMHO

Back