• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jamie Pickens

717s7e

HELENA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT-ATHLETE NAMED GATORADE® MONTANA GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

CHICAGO (March 19, 2018) — In its 33rd year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, today announced Jamie Pickens of Helena High School as its 2017-18 Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Player of the Year. Pickens is the second Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Player of the Year to be chosen from Helena High School.

The 6-foot-2 junior post player led the Bengals to a 21-3 record and a second straight Class AA state championship this past season. Pickens averaged 15.0 points, 11.9 rebounds, 2.8 steals, 2.0 assists and 2.0 blocks per game. A 2016-17 Great Falls Tribune Super State selection and a First Team Class AA All-State honoree, she is rated as the nation’s No. 59 recruit in the Class of 2019 by espnW.

Also an All-State volleyball and softball player, Pickens has volunteered locally as part of fundraising campaigns to benefit both cancer and mental health research. She has also donated her time as an elementary school teacher’s aide and as a youth sports coach. “Jamie can do it all,” said Michela Anderson, head coach of Big Sky High. “She can play inside, play outside, play defense, the list goes on. She makes it really hard to defend, and you always have to make sure she is located.”
Pickens has maintained a 3.75 GPA in the classroom.

She has made a verbal commitment to play basketball on scholarship at the
University of Montana beginning in the fall of 2019. Pickens joins recent Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Players of the Year Sophia Stiles (2016-17 & 2015-16, Malta High School),
Taylor Goligoski (2014-15 & 2012-13, Hamilton High School), Jill Barta (2013-14, Fairfield High School), Peyton Ferris (2011-12, Twin Bridges High School), Danielle Muri (2010-11, Billings West High School), Lexie Nelson (2009-10, Butte High School), Joslyn Tinkle (2008-09 & 2007-08, Big Sky High School), and Kirsten Tilleman (2006–07, Bozeman High School) among the state’s list of former award winners.

How did I miss her commitment in November? This is a great video - gotta love her attitude.
https://youtu.be/jG-x_MscdTM

This is a local tv news video clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG-x_MscdTM&feature=youtu.be

717s7e said:
How did I miss her commitment in November? This is a great video - gotta love her attitude.
https://youtu.be/jG-x_MscdTM

This is a local tv news video clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG-x_MscdTM&feature=youtu.be

I believe it’s cus she’s just committed. No LOI yet. She’ll be a Sr in high school this coming fall where she’ll sign her LOI. Sounds like the starting of another awesome recruiting class for next year following our four amazing Fr coming in this fall.

717s7e said:
HELENA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT-ATHLETE NAMED GATORADE® MONTANA GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

CHICAGO (March 19, 2018) — In its 33rd year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, today announced Jamie Pickens of Helena High School as its 2017-18 Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Player of the Year. Pickens is the second Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Player of the Year to be chosen from Helena High School.

The 6-foot-2 junior post player led the Bengals to a 21-3 record and a second straight Class AA state championship this past season. Pickens averaged 15.0 points, 11.9 rebounds, 2.8 steals, 2.0 assists and 2.0 blocks per game. A 2016-17 Great Falls Tribune Super State selection and a First Team Class AA All-State honoree, she is rated as the nation’s No. 59 recruit in the Class of 2019 by espnW.

Also an All-State volleyball and softball player, Pickens has volunteered locally as part of fundraising campaigns to benefit both cancer and mental health research. She has also donated her time as an elementary school teacher’s aide and as a youth sports coach. “Jamie can do it all,” said Michela Anderson, head coach of Big Sky High. “She can play inside, play outside, play defense, the list goes on. She makes it really hard to defend, and you always have to make sure she is located.”
Pickens has maintained a 3.75 GPA in the classroom.

She has made a verbal commitment to play basketball on scholarship at the
University of Montana beginning in the fall of 2019. Pickens joins recent Gatorade Montana Girls Basketball Players of the Year Sophia Stiles (2016-17 & 2015-16, Malta High School),
Taylor Goligoski (2014-15 & 2012-13, Hamilton High School), Jill Barta (2013-14, Fairfield High School), Peyton Ferris (2011-12, Twin Bridges High School), Danielle Muri (2010-11, Billings West High School), Lexie Nelson (2009-10, Butte High School), Joslyn Tinkle (2008-09 & 2007-08, Big Sky High School), and Kirsten Tilleman (2006–07, Bozeman High School) among the state’s list of former award winners.

:clap: :thumb: :D

I realize that she is only a Junior and can't sign a Letter of Intent. But that didn't stop Helena's tv station from doing a report. How did we all miss her commitment? It may have been in the Zoolian - if so, I missed it.

I know that Shannon can't announce this but other early commits get lots of press, such as a football player from Billings and a basketball player from Bozeman.

She looks like a great kid - the "girl next door." I am excited that she received the Gatorade nod as a Junior over the two Letter of Intent commits (Froelich and Schweyen) and the younger Schweyen who is also a Junior. I am assuming Jamie's commit is a big deal because a lot of folks must think that she is the best player in the state. I am disappointed that we on Egriz let this slip past us and we didn't give her the "3 cheers" that she deserves.

After losing some great players to Wyoming, Gonzaga, and Idaho, it is nice to see that Jamie wants to be one of us.

Welcome Jamie!!! and thank you!

She is a great kid, and has dreamed of playing for the Lady Griz for a very long time. Played AAU with Shannon's daughter.

Speaking of great Gonzaga players.... Barta will not play her final year of college eligibility. She wants to teach and coach in the long term and maybe play professionally in the near future. Good for her. It seems she accomplished all she wanted at Gonzaga.

717s7e said:
I realize that she is only a Junior and can't sign a Letter of Intent. But that didn't stop Helena's tv station from doing a report. How did we all miss her commitment? It may have been in the Zoolian - if so, I missed it.

I know that Shannon can't announce this but other early commits get lots of press, such as a football player from Billings and a basketball player from Bozeman.

She looks like a great kid - the "girl next door." I am excited that she received the Gatorade nod as a Junior over the two Letter of Intent commits (Froelich and Schweyen) and the younger Schweyen who is also a Junior. I am assuming Jamie's commit is a big deal because a lot of folks must think that she is the best player in the state. I am disappointed that we on Egriz let this slip past us and we didn't give her the "3 cheers" that she deserves.

After losing some great players to Wyoming, Gonzaga, and Idaho, it is nice to see that Jamie wants to be one of us.

Welcome Jamie!!! and thank you!

Pretty sure her name hit this board as a commit several months ago. Helena with 1 commit has beaten Sentinel and its 3 commits for the state title the past two years.

Mouse,

You are right - it was a bottom note on Shelby Schweyen's commit notice - I completely missed it.

Back