• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Medical Hardships

citygriz

The thought struck me this morning just how impacted our program will be over the next few years by decisions on medical hardships. How great would it be if Dorsey, Manuel and Miller all got an extra year? That would be huge for our program--the equivalent of having one terrific player for three years. Conversely, a bummer if we get smoked on all three.

Insights? Opinions?

Consider how the NCAA treated Kavleigh Valley of the Lady Griz. She played her first 3 years. Never redshirted. Was not a transfer. Blew her knee before the seasons the next 2 years without ever entering a game. Medical waiver granted to her was to allow her to play ONLY in the conference games, not the preconference games in her final season (if she chose to play at all, which she did not, citing this ruling as a factor in her decision). You never know how the NCAA is going to rule.

I really hope Dorsey and Manuel get waivers. Having guys sit out for a year (or two) while only getting one year of play out of them is not ideal and obviously it's nice for the kids to have the opportunity to play 4 seasons. With Miller it would be nice but at least we are getting two years and he got to play in a bunch of games last season.

Dorsey = He probably gets the waiver...

Manuel = He probably does not get the waiver....

Miller = He doesn't get the waiver....

That's the way I see it based on the facts I read...

sacstateman said:

We'll see. But you're right. We probably don't get all three.

citay said:
sacstateman said:

If we had North Carolina in our name we would get all 3.

citay said:
The thought struck me this morning just how impacted our program will be over the next few years by decisions on medical hardships. How great would it be if Dorsey, Manuel and Miller all got an extra year? That would be huge for our program--the equivalent of having one terrific player for three years. Conversely, a bummer if we get smoked on all three.

Insights? Opinions?
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the new rules are retroactive to some date or not yet applied or when they will be. This will be a gamechanging ruling for many teams across the country.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:
sacstateman said:

As a new Gamecock fan, I would wholeheartedly agree. Damn Northerners...

You'll get Dorsey for two seasons (he played 55 games at Washington over 2 seasons...there is nothing there for a med hardship...

You'll get Manuel for two seasons (he played 61 games at OSU over 2 seasons...nothing there for a hardship either but you may only get him for one season due to the transfer sit out year since he used a redshirt year his first year at OSU)

You'll get Miller for two seasons (he played a full schedule his freshman year and 12 games last year...too many games played to get a medical hardship)

So you see, I now don't see any medical hardship unless there is a question about how many years Dorsey has to get his 4 seasons in (you usually have 5 years to play 4 seasons unless there is a medical problem which I'm not knowledgeable in Dorsey's case)

sacstateman said:
You'll get Dorsey for two seasons (he played 55 games at Washington over 2 seasons...there is nothing there for a med hardship...

You'll get Manuel for two seasons (he played 61 games at OSU over 2 seasons...nothing there for a hardship either but you may only get him for one season due to the transfer sit out year since he used a redshirt year his first year at OSU)

You'll get Miller for two seasons (he played a full schedule his freshman year and 12 games last year...too many games played to get a medical hardship)

So you see, I now don't see any medical hardship unless there is a question about how many years Dorsey has to get his 4 seasons in (you usually have 5 years to play 4 seasons unless there is a medical problem which I'm not knowledgeable in Dorsey's case)
Dorsey missed last season due to a hip injury. I believe that constitutes a medical problem. :thumb: Also, Manuel missed his entire true freshman season due to an injury. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
sacstateman said:

Dorsey missed last season due to a hip injury. I believe that constitutes a medical problem. :thumb: Also, Manuel missed his entire true freshman season due to an injury. :thumb:

That is not how it works. If you did a regulat redshirt, that is your year. If you miss a year later due to injury, tough luck. Usully we see someone petition for a medical redshirt because they played as a true freshman and sometime along the way they goat hurt early in the season and did play enough of the season to apply for a redshirt. Example is Jordy Tripp his sophomore year. Other way it happens is if a player misses the majority of 2 years due to injury. Then a 6th year can be granted. I believe Craig Ochs was that way.

I honestly see Dorsey getting another year.
Manuel has a good chance. Depends on if the NCAA determines his Freshman year as a true Redshirt year, or a season truly lost to injury? His case will be the most interesting to watch play out. Personally, I feel a player should be granted another year, in a case like Manuel's. Then again, if it were my decision, I'd rule often in favor of the student athlete, regardless of school or program.

I am doubtful that Miller gets another year. I feel he played too many games the season he got injured. If he played in more than 1/3 of the games that season, SPU played 29 games. Miller could have only played in 9 games to even have a chance at getting a medical redshirt. I don't see how the NCAA could rule on his behalf. That is why it is wise to schedule as many games as possible any given season, or make postseason tournaments. The %'s work in your favor more, regarding medical redshirts.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:
sacstateman said:

I agree.

North Carolina set up some 200 fake courses, many requiring no attendance, or maybe just one paper. Athletes were then directed to these classes, and made up the bulk of them. This went on for roughly two decades. The NCAA in its wisdom decided that it was up the the University to set its own curriculum, and so issued no penalties. The issue of "institutional control" was pretty much overlooked, and so the "institution" got off Charlie Scott free.

But not a student-athlete. Here a kid, maybe even one like Michael Oguine who is an excellent student, can work his butt off, suffer a season-ending injury with roughly two-thirds of the season still ahead of him, and lose one of the most important years of his life. Mike Pruitt would thrive as head of the NCAA.

Back