• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gwen returns continue her mission

lotsa

http://missoulian.com/business/local/award-winning-journalist-gwen-florio-hired-as-missoulian-city-editor/article_1e629de8-aa79-5fd5-9131-a71e874d415e.html

"....She took a break from journalism in 2013 to write fiction full time and is the author of three successful novels...."

I guess if they were that successful she wouldn't have asked a rinky dink newspaper to take her back. Interesting to see if she will have any stories to tell about her time working at the University.

I guess nothing surprises me. After her completely distorted coverage of UM and the "trial" coverage, including highly unethical journalistic practices obvious on their face -- the inevitable writing of what she wanted to write, followed by selective choices of her friends for "spontaneous comments" -- it was amazing to me that the same University for which her coverage has caused so much difficulty, including hundreds of people losing their jobs, that she gets a job there and a prestigious addition to her resume. The ironies abounded.

She was Sherri Devlin's path to fame and glory -- the Pulizer was as good as got! -- but I am surprised to see that since Devlin has been fired and has turned around and sued Lee Enterprises, plus additional turmoil in the newsroom since, that Lee would turn around and hire Devlin's fair-haired girl.

That prospective Pulitzer, the whole narrative read like it had been sketched out in advance, all Florio had to do was fill in the details with the names and lurid details. It was a Rolling Stone caliber expose which was going to buy the whole bunch, Devlin, Florio, Krakauer, their fame and glory -- right up until THE WRONG VERDICT!

Hate of our Griz players and in fact the entire program by Florio is beyond describing. Another liberal becomes the head of the Missoulian and then hires Florio. Both the Republic and Missoulian are almost broke with fewer readers reading both of these worthless rags. And so most of us hope for a new change and direction but as noted they seem to be broke without having a clue. No, I wouldn't advise buying Lee Enterprise stock.

Umista said:
No, I wouldn't advise buying Lee Enterprise stock.
Lee was a pretty good investment in the early 2000s, went from the mid-20s to as high as 46 in 2005. Then the long decline set in. In 2009, it fell to 0.32 -- yup, 32 cents -- and hovers today between a dollar and two dollars a share.

They had gone on a buying spree (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, among others) and then had $1 billion in debt to service just as the internet revolution took full hold. It was incredibly bad timing. Bankruptcy in 2011. A lot of talented people worked at the Missoulian over the years, Martin Hutchens, Ed Coyle, Dean Jones, Ray Rocene, Sam Reynolds. That kind of talent is no longer in the building. Florio getting the City Editor position is an insult to their memories (although Sam is still with us).

The Missoulian's coverage of "the trial" was spectacularly shameful. If there was a book to be legitimately written, it is about that coverage and how it failed every test of objective journalism and in the process did great harm to this University.

UMGriz75 said:
The Missoulian's coverage of "the trial" was spectacularly shameful. If there was a book to be legitimately written, it is about that coverage and how it failed every test of objective journalism and in the process did great harm to this University.

The best paragraph you've EVER written on this site. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whats interesting now is that we have a coach that is much more intelligent and just overall witty-er than good ole Gwen.....I would love to see Stitt and sandvag Gwen in a war of words....

AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:

The best paragraph you've EVER written on this site. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Totally agree. I can not believe how far both my University and the Missoulian have fallen. She does not have one ethical bone in her body, she will be great at "reporting" (cheerleading) on the Mayor and his cast of minions.

Not 100% sure why Payton and the boys put this bitch thread down in the (Locker Up) room.

She along with the Missoulian have put tons of damage on our football team but perhaps the worst damage has been to the University. Many good folks have worked at the Missoulian in the past but today it is pure crap as far as reporting news stories. Even the on line issue is shitty bad...

The lack of talent and objectivity (along with political influence on major local stories) is running rampant at the paper now. They got away with it on the University stories and apparently feel emboldened.

'68griz said:
And today's new format and fonts really suck. It's very grey and hard to read.
I agree. I feel like I am reading an out-of-town newspaper, and still do 2 weeks later. The new type-set SUCKS. I agree. How they can re-hire this agenda-seeking "Judas" baffles me.

Back