• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Smoking Ribs

reinell30 said:
I use baby back ribs.
Have you tried Spareribs, (St Louis)? I use to use nothing but BB but after switching over to SR with the chine bone on I have never looked back.
In the MBN and Memphis in May competitions, you always use Loin-Back ribs, (Baby Backs) - because it is what the judges expect. But in the Kansas City BBQ circuit, you always use St. Louis.

The Loin-Back ribs tend to be smaller and don't have as much meat on them... but the meat is really tender. Spare Ribs are meatier and have a higher fat content and for myself they just have a better flavor.

As for rib knowledge, check this page out...

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html

polsongrizz said:
reinell30 said:
I use baby back ribs.
Have you tried Spareribs, (St Louis)? I use to use nothing but BB but after switching over to SR with the chine bone on I have never looked back.
In the MBN and Memphis in May competitions, you always use Loin-Back ribs, (Baby Backs) - because it is what the judges expect. But in the Kansas City BBQ circuit, you always use St. Louis.

The Loin-Back ribs tend to be smaller and don't have as much meat on them... but the meat is really tender. Spare Ribs are meatier and have a higher fat content and for myself they just have a better flavor.

I don't like the high fat content on the Spare Ribs. In the old days, I would use spare Ribs and boil them first to reduce some of the fat.

I too am a fan of St Louis over BB. More meat, plus I use the chine for rib tips or meat for my BBQ beans.

Next weekend I'll be down in San Luis Obispo roasting some tri-tip steaks with Kabooom and watching the Griz. I'll have to try to adapt one of your rub recipes by adding a little cumin.

reinell30 said:
polsongrizz said:
reinell30 said:
I use baby back ribs.

I don't like the high fat content on the Spare Ribs. In the old days, I would use spare Ribs and boil them first to reduce some of the fat.
I got ya. I smoke mine for at least 7+ hours so the vast majority of that fat has been rendered out.

AllWeatherFan said:
Next weekend I'll be down in San Luis Obispo roasting some tri-tip steaks with Kabooom and watching the Griz. I'll have to try to adapt one of your rub recipes by adding a little cumin.

I've been on a tri-tip kick lately. Did a couple 2-3 pound roasts on the grill with the Santa Maria rub, overnight in the fridge, and crushed garlic/red wine vinegar/oil/Dijon mop every four minutes. On high heat for a total of only about a half hour and it gets a bark on it like it's been smoking for hours. It's the new family and friend favorite. :D

Back