• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Enrollment

Griz til I die

DONOR
As I was getting involved in the thread on Gregorak I noticed that one of the cat posters brought up enrollment at MSU. Our numbers are getting dangerously low and I was just wondering if anybody knew when we are projected to go back up in enrollment and what the university is doing to get our enrollment back up. So the ultimate question, how much longer until the enrollment goes back up?

Looks like school is going to cost $1k more next year. Maybe both schools will see decreases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This might have something to do with the enrollment issues:

Missoula had the 2nd highest
increase in violent crime in the nation!

Missoula, MT
> 5-yr. violent crime rate change: +69.9%
> 2011 violent crime rate: 250.3 per 100,000
> 2015 violent crime rate: 425.2 per 100,000 Murders in 2015: 4

Missoula, Montana is no longer the safe city it once was. Just five years
ago, the metro area's violent crime rate of 250 incidents per 100,000
residents trailed the national rate of 387 incidents per 100,000 people.
Since then, the violent crime rate has climbed to 425 incidents per 100,000
residents, a 69.9% spike, and it is now considerably higher than the
comparable national rate of 373 incidents per 100,000 people.

Some crime in the metro area has likely been drug related. Recently, federal
law enforcement officials busted a methamphetamine trafficking ring in the
metro area following a two year investigation. In addition to 11 pounds of
methamphetamine, federal agents confiscated nearly 70 weapons, including
grenade launchers and assault rifles, as well as illegal silencers and
thousands of rounds of ammunition.

As you all know, our spring enrollment numbers are about to be released and I'm expecting another drop sadly. This can have an impact on our sports programs including football. Our numbers are getting dangerously low and I was just wondering if anybody knew when we are projected to go back up in enrollment and what the university is doing to get our enrollment back up. So the ultimate question, how much longer until the enrollment goes back up?

Griz til I die said:
As you all know, our spring enrollment numbers are about to be released and I'm expecting another drop sadly. This can have an impact on our sports programs including football. Our numbers are getting dangerously low and I was just wondering if anybody knew when we are projected to go back up in enrollment and what the university is doing to get our enrollment back up. So the ultimate question, how much longer until the enrollment goes back up?
Hire the right Pres and that will help a bunch. The BOR were very negligent in hiring RE and even worse for allowing him to stay around as long as he did. Our BOR needs to be slapped silly.

NativeGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
Hire the right Pres and that will help a bunch. The BOR were very negligent in hiring RE and even worse for allowing him to stay around as long as he did. Our BOR needs to be slapped silly.

With regard to hiring RE, wasn't he the only one of the 3 finalists who didn't drop out? The BOR didn't have much of a choice on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reinell30 said:
This might have something to do with the enrollment issues:

Missoula had the 2nd highest
increase in violent crime in the nation!

Missoula, MT
> 5-yr. violent crime rate change: +69.9%
> 2011 violent crime rate: 250.3 per 100,000
> 2015 violent crime rate: 425.2 per 100,000 Murders in 2015: 4

Missoula, Montana is no longer the safe city it once was. Just five years
ago, the metro area's violent crime rate of 250 incidents per 100,000
residents trailed the national rate of 387 incidents per 100,000 people.
Since then, the violent crime rate has climbed to 425 incidents per 100,000
residents, a 69.9% spike, and it is now considerably higher than the
comparable national rate of 373 incidents per 100,000 people.

Some crime in the metro area has likely been drug related. Recently, federal
law enforcement officials busted a methamphetamine trafficking ring in the
metro area following a two year investigation. In addition to 11 pounds of
methamphetamine, federal agents confiscated nearly 70 weapons, including
grenade launchers and assault rifles, as well as illegal silencers and
thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Woah those are some surprising numbers...

I also think that students want to go to a school that is "thriving," and the UofM is certainly not doing that. They see the drop in enrollment, all the scandals, an incompetent president, and the fact that they are almost guaranteed to not get a job here when they graduate so they look elsewhere.

My son was just accepted at UM and the school gave him a whopping $3K in financial aid. He can go to Carroll cheaper than Missoula....guess they are not too worried about attracting in-state students.

putter said:
My son was just accepted at UM and the school gave him a whopping $3K in financial aid. He can go to Carroll cheaper than Missoula....guess they are not too worried about attracting in-state students.
$3k a year or just his freshmen year? If it's just his first year, that's good money. I definitely think UM is about to see an increase in enrollment within the next 2 years.

Griz til I die said:
putter said:
$3k a year or just his freshmen year? If it's just his first year, that's good money. I definitely think UM is about to see an increase in enrollment within the next 2 years.

It better.....

Griz til I die said:
putter said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:
putter said:

Well if you've read some of the articles on how UM plans to boost their enrollment, that got a lot of good ideas that include micro scholarships. Also I live in Butte and I'm graduating class last year at Butte Central, the ratio of kids going to the cats vs. the griz had probably 8 or 9 more kids going to MSU vs UM. This years class at central has more kids going to UM (which means absolutely nothing when there's only 140 kids in the school). It kind of makes you wonder what kids all over the state are considering for college.

Griz til I die said:
wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:
putter said:

Well if you've read some of the articles on how UM plans to boost their enrollment, that got a lot of good ideas that include micro scholarships. Also I live in Butte and I'm graduating class last year at Butte Central, the ratio of kids going to the cats vs. the griz had probably 8 or 9 more kids going to MSU vs UM. This years class at central has more kids going to UM (which means absolutely nothing when there's only 140 kids in the school). It kind of makes you wonder what kids all over the state are considering for college.

I can't poke any holes in that logic....

putter said:
$3K for Freshman year. It costs over $19K to go to Missoula. $3K is not much

While I agree with your position on UM, scholarships are based on a lot of things. Income, grades, private scholarship money available through school, etc. There are kids getting full rides to UM also, just based on grades or income.

grizpack said:
putter said:

While I agree with your position on UM, scholarships are based on a lot of things. Income, grades, private scholarship money available through school, etc. There are kids getting full rides to UM also, just based on grades or income.

Believe me, I totally understand as I am knee deep in the college process. Out of 6 schools that my son applied to ALL gave more aid than the U of M and that includes 2 out of state schools.

You want to get a lot of financial aid, check out the private DIII schools, like Whitworth in Spokane, or Whitman in Walla Walla. They will come through with huge $$$. Of course, it costs $50K+ per year to go there..... :)

I sympathize with you. I am glad I am done with the college process. I think...

putter said:
grizpack said:
putter said:

Believe me, I totally understand as I am knee deep in the college process. Out of 6 schools that my son applied to ALL gave more aid than the U of M and that includes 2 out of state schools.

Has he chosen a college yet? What does he want to study?

He wants to study Business/ Sports Management as he would like to work for a pro sports organization. Still waiting to hear from one school so he has not picked one yet

Back