• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Just bought a smoker!

PhxGriz said:
Did my first 8lbs pork shoulder this last weekend and had no problems keeping the temp consistent. Used what is called the Minion method, and actually had wood left over.

Got internal temp to 165, wrapped in foil until it hit 195, then pulled it off, wrapped it in a towel and let it sit in an empty cooler for one hour. 9 hours cook time and one hour to sit.

Turned out better than the three BBQ places I have tried out here in Seattle, but will have a better idea on #2.

Mmmm yum. I judged The Montana State BBQ Competition in Stevi for a few years (years ago) Part of the "training" speech was to limit your consumption of each dish that is put in front of you so you could make it through the day and still have an appetite for the last category being served. They didn't know me very well. Talk about heaven on a plate.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
what are your guys thoughts on electric smokers? :shock:

my buddy got one a while back and I thought is was blasphemous but i gotta say i've had some damn good dishes out of it. and it seemed effortless. not that smoking the old fashioned way is too much work. but you guys seem very educated on this so seeking advice. i'm looking to do some serious smoking this fall so lead the way! :msugrad:

If you do it, don't go cheap. My buddy bought a $200 one from Lowe's and it crapped out in less than a year. It also didn't really deliver the smoke needed for bigger stuff. It could only take chips, not chunks.

Another friend bought a much more expensive Cookshack (like PGM mentioned above) from Cabela's, and it's a pretty sweet unit. Definitely more of a set it and forget it cooker.

Experimented for years with smoker box additions to my Weber gas grill and it worked well, then tried a charcoal smoker. Upgraded to an electric Bradley but we got a lemon unit. It smoked effectively but regularly broke down, and I spent too much time with a screwdriver and replacement parts in my hand. Upgraded to an electric Cookshack and could not be happier. It is a Tank (solid steel), and is effective and dependable.

Proud Griz Man said:
Experimented for years with smoker box additions to my Weber gas grill and it worked well, then tried a charcoal smoker. Upgraded to an electric Bradley but we got a lemon unit. It smoked effectively but regularly broke down, and I spent too much time with a screwdriver and replacement parts in my hand. Upgraded to an electric Cookshack and could not be happier. It is a Tank (solid steel), and is effective and dependable.
Are you speaking of these guys?http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2

If so, how does it work during the winter outside?

All I know is that I have smoked some basic stuff, to get a baseline, and it has been great.

Hard to really mess up BBQ.

Was out looking up what a WSM was and came across a great website - Firecraft.com.

I use a Weber Performer but I have relatives who have very elaborate smokers. That product line "The Good One" looks interesting.

So I tell my wife I am going to smoke some pork shoulder for the NDSU game and I will need to get up early because it will still be a little frozen in the middle - as it is the second half of #20 I bought a couple of weeks ago.

What does she do? Takes my cooking shed, clears out all my stuff and puts patio stuff in there. Had to round up all my crap from about ten different places. Only about an hour late getting the shoulder on. Gotta love women!

Hey, so I just pulled off a 12 lb brisket from the smoker about two hours ago. It was probably under 10 lbs by the time I trimmed it. The extra fat in the prime made the stall MUCH higher. I was steady climbing up to about 185F, then, she stalled. I've sometimes pulled it off at 185F, but this was within five hours, so I left it on. Total cook time was around 8.5 hours, and it turned out great. No Texas crutch. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with prime cooking much faster than choice. I might have just got a weird cut.

CDAGRIZ said:
Hey, so I just pulled off a 12 lb brisket from the smoker about two hours ago. It was probably under 10 lbs by the time I trimmed it. The extra fat in the prime made the stall MUCH higher. I was steady climbing up to about 185F, then, she stalled. I've sometimes pulled it off at 185F, but this was within five hours, so I left it on. Total cook time was around 8.5 hours, and it turned out great. No Texas crutch. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with prime cooking much faster than choice. I might have just got a weird cut.

I always foil the Briskets half-way. I usually go out 9-10 hours at 200 degrees for a Brisket that big. No direct experience, but just speaking out loud here; prime will be more tender and well-marbled beef with less taunt connective material. Prime beef is usually from 1-2 year old animals whereas the choice will usually come from older animals. Just my 2 cents.

Back