• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom Gets His Raise

Not all is rosy at msu either:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/msu-research-taken-down-a-notch-in-carnegie-ranking/article_37a72f09-9d3d-5dcf-aa2b-6c57b904523a.html

To spend that much on research and get downgraded is a massive waste of State's dollars. This is why the enrollment picture, while still a situation which needs to be addressed at UM, doesn't tell the entire story. There are so many moving parts to a university, and when so much focus, energy and money is devoted to one area -- in this case recruiting by msu -- other areas will suffer. Opportunity costs are real, people.

TNT--well of course you would support your pal Engstrom--you should let folks know your a tenure Chemistry prof at UM and whose partner is the compliance person for Griz athletics--but of course you would not want folks to know any of that info. You might think twice before posting on this site during your work day as you have been.

Is TNT supporting Engstrom or is he/she supporting a Liberal Arts education?

And by the way, it's considered bad form to out people on a message board.

scooter1984 said:
TNT--well of course you would support your pal Engstrom--you should let folks know your a tenure Chemistry prof at UM and whose partner is the compliance person for Griz athletics--but of course you would not want folks to know any of that info. You might think twice before posting on this site during your work day as you have been.

Ah! Now it makes sense. There's something on your nose, tnt. Tissue? :lol:

EverettGriz said:
And by the way, it's considered bad form to out people on a message board.
I've long suspected who tnt is, but didn't care. I'm a graduate of that department, undergrad and grad, but have few connections left there. Everyone is pretty much dead, unfortunately, from my time there. It was a long time ago. Some people obsess about "true" identities, and these days, there are too many nut cases out there who will get wound up over some perceived slight or "wrong thinking" and feel the need to make it personal with harassing phone calls, bizarre magazine subscriptions, forum comments about "nice kids you have there," and even worse.

If people want the privacy that allows them to most openly express their opinions, it should be respected. In many cases, that's the only way that knowledgeable people will post useful information. I find tnt's posts very useful.

scooter1984 said:

That's perhaps one of the funniest things I have read here in a while. I support the idea of a Liberal arts education for sure. I can promise you I'm not on the faculty at UM. Nor do I have "partner" (other than my wife who I have been married to for 40 years who is a retired middle school teacher) I did graduate from Gonzaga though (in 1974) with a degree in chemistry/philosophy did my grad work at UW and an MBA at UM a few years ago when I needed cheap health insurance. Currently I am retired............. Could care less about Engstrom one way or another as I don't know enough about him. Enrollment is not as important as graduation. What I feel about anything has little to do with whats said on eGriz.

Nice try Scooter.....

UM just released its "final" Fall enrollment figures, down more than 1,000 from last year, but spring semester 2016, compared to Fall, 2014?

Down 1,987 students. That loss is unprecedented in the history of the Montana University System. It may be a record set among public universities in the United States.

http://www.kpax.com/story/31329270/um-enrollment-woes-continue-hopeful-for-improvement-next-semester

The initial losses under Engstrom, 3% loss, then 4% loss, is now approaching 10% losses, with nearly a 25% total loss in enrollment since Engstrom "took the helm."

The vaunted hiring of "recruitment experts," in 2012 has resulted in accelerating declines. That company is being let go; UM taking back the recruiting functions -- because UM did so well? Well, no, without a vision from UM, the recruiting company was left to manufacture generic collegiate recruiting materials. No, this wasn't the one that UM previously hired whose gala presentation was an email blast to potential students across the United States to please attend Montana State University.

Was that a fluke?

No. The most recent failure represents the SECOND failure of UM to find a competent, quality, recruiting advocate.

And that is because this UM administration itself lacks the competency to do so.

Back