• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

grizfan1984

With the success of Tru, and others why is it we are having a hard time recruiting corners? we have not picked up a single corner the last 2 recruiting classes, meanwhile to the east they just picked up another 3 star corner from St John Bosco in Level Price Jr. Meaning they have signed 4 for the class of 2018 yet we only have 5 on our whole roster.

They are probably going to convert a couple of them into receivers. :ugeek:

corners are a real hit and miss in recruiting in FCS football. if you are a real good corner...you go FBS. Most mid level corners out of HS either won't play corner at FCS level or are not that great. The best bet for a corner in FCS is to get an athlete D player and transition them to corner, get a WR and transition them to corner or get a drop down corner from FBS. Most HS players don't wanna be corners. They want to play WR and most play both ways in HS. The more athletic kids in HS usually play LB or Saftey. I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.

mtgrizfankb said:
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.

Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.

Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.

I know why but if I say anything on here it gets deleted by the left wing nut jobs running the site. It appears only one side gets to voice opinions on here.

BlackChickenHobo said:
I know why but if I say anything on here it gets deleted by the left wing nut jobs running the site. It appears only one side gets to voice opinions on here.

Oh that's an easy cop-out! Just say it.

MTGRZ said:
BlackChickenHobo said:

Oh that's an easy cop-out! Just say it.

I know - five posts & already acting like a diva. Astute catch though, noting the mods are all former college professors. :lol:

players that could play CB...by no way am I saying they will....i have no insider info on this subject....these all could be subject to a player saying no as well.

Malik Flowers
Nick Fouch
Mitch Roberts
Danny Burton
Nash Fouch
David Koppang
Jackson Pepe
Drew Turner

already CBS:
Nash
Cowans
Crow
Egbo
Holmes

blackfootipa said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.

Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.

Your sky high if you think that

Does UM have a hard time? Johnson, Wilson, Calvin Coleman, Tuff Harris. All NFL, right? McKinley, JR Nelson, Vernon Smith, Johnny Peoples, Joel Rosenberg, Swink, Thompson, Kevin Edwards, Chris Clark, Brandon Dodson, Donny Lisowski, Houston Roots, Josh Dennard, Nate Harris

I would second this we have missed big time in the last couple recruiting cycles. 1st year under Stitt was lack luster there but he had a short cycle. That next year he did alright getting Cowans, Egbo, and eventually Nash. Stitt’s last recruiting cycle he only went hard after Tre Bugg and he burned us at the end. There was no backup plan. Now Hauck let’s Johnson go, Markel retires and signs no corners. He also was working on a short time line but still puzzling. Now we are hurting at the position. We need a transfer badly which is not something that should be depended on. I do have some hopes we get one or two this summer. I like the twitter activity on the Colorado State CB. Anyways this next year they have to sign a few high quality CBs. No reason we can’t beat out some of these BSC or some Mountain West teams for some of these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgrizfan said:
Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.

Baffles me as well

Ursus1 said:
rgrizfan said:

Baffles me as well

Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him

mtgrizfankb said:
Ursus1 said:
rgrizfan said:

Baffles me as well

Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him
If I remember correctly, I think we weren’t all in on him because he wasn’t all in on us, and may have been waiting for the UCLA offer.

uofmman1122 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Ursus1 said:
rgrizfan said:

Baffles me as well

If I remember correctly, I think we weren’t all in on him because he wasn’t all in on us, and may have been waiting for the UCLA offer.

Well you are remembering incorrectly. He wanted to sign early but Green told him to hold off because Hauck was not sure yet. He stay committed for weeks and weeks but then had to decomit when his offer was pulled. That is according to him when he talked to media. Also his father on here essentially said the same after one poster on here had a racist comment. That is about the closest sources you could have since we don’t have coach’s perspective on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBs are the Center of mid-major (FCS) basketball. Not enough to go around, so if you have any skill at all you land in the FBS.

Yes the Cats signed some high profile kids, but Tyler Thomas is 5'9 175, Jalen Cole, one of the prized recruits in Choate's first class is 5'8 150. Both high profile recruits but obviously size limited their FBS options. The Gibson twins bring a bit more height at 6' each, but again only 165 as true freshman.

CB seems to be the hardest position to recruit in the FCS.

Back