• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

IdaGriz01 said:
polsongrizz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Been casually following this thread ... just to get some possible ideas. Seems clear by now that tastes in beer differ too much to ever reach a consensus. And here's another point: "It depends" ... upon the situation. Say it's a baking hot day and you've been ripping dead bushes from your back lot -- well, even a wimpy Bud Light is going to taste pretty good.

So I gave up on that, but here's my favorite beer story (in a nutshell). Back when I had a "day job," I made a trip to Vienna, Austria (presentation to the IAEA, if you're interested). One evening we went pub-hopping with a guy (American) who'd spent about five years there ... and he knew all the good places. Every place we visited (and there were more than five) had its own beer, brewed on the premises or by special order locally. And every one of the beers was outstanding ... different, but outstanding. Pretty much heaven for a beer junky.
I know what you are saying but if it is so dam hot out that you feel like killing yourself with mass produced slop, don't. Every local brewery makes some version of Pilsner/lager that is 100x better then bud/coors/miller. Not too mention they are your neighbors, not South Africans or Belgians.
Well, you have a point. And actually, I don't give the mass-produced crap space in my frig. But if you're cooked and someone hands you one, you're not going to turn it down. ;)

You don't know me very well. :thumb:

polsongrizz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Well, you have a point. And actually, I don't give the mass-produced crap space in my frig. But if you're cooked and someone hands you one, you're not going to turn it down. ;)
Actually, I don't know you at all, so far as I know. (Maybe we once met at a tailgate, but how would I know :?: )

But if you really would turn down a free beer, then I'd say you were pretty different from most. Let's just put it that I'm skeptical ... but "Each to his/her own."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
polsongrizz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Actually, I don't know you at all, so far as I know. (Maybe we once met at a tailgate, but how would I know :?: )

But if you really would turn down a free beer, then I'd say you were pretty different from most. Let's just put it that I'm skeptical ... but "Each to his/her own."

It sounds to me like you have not met very many true beer snobs. I consider myself one, and although I do not know polsongrizz either, it appears he could be one too.

Most of us beer snobs consider the Belgian/German/Austrian beer to be among the best in the world. It has something to do with the natural yeast in the air. I have yet to find more than two or three American beers that can even begin to compete. The brewing industry is just too "young". Now, don't get me wrong, if someone were to offer me a decent microbrew I wouldn't turn it down. But, if it is any of the mass produced beers of the 'light" variety I say, "No thanks, I would just as well have a glass of water."

daGrizJ said:
IdaGriz01 said:

It sounds to me like you have not met very many true beer snobs. I consider myself one, and although I do not know polsongrizz either, it appears he could be one too.

Most of us beer snobs consider the Belgian/German/Austrian beer to be among the best in the world. It has something to do with the natural yeast in the air. I have yet to find more than two or three American beers that can even begin to compete. The brewing industry is just too "young". Now, don't get me wrong, if someone were to offer me a decent microbrew I wouldn't turn it down. But, if it is any of the mass produced beers of the 'light" variety I say, "No thanks, I would just as well have a glass of water."
As it happens, I have met quite a few beer snobs ... I just did not expect to run into any in Montana. But, trust me, Portland (Oregon, not Maine, so far as I know :) ) is over-run with them. Seattle weighs in pretty well too.

Myself, I'd be considered only a mini-snob, I think. And, having tasted great beer in Austria, Germany and England, I think I have at least a bit of experience with the good stuff. Aside: The German taste was during a flight layover, and the beer at the airport was better than any mass market beer here in the U.S.

But I would (respectfully) disagree that American brewers cannot compete with Europe. Still, you're at least half-right that the brewer probably has to have a feel for "Old World" traditions in beer. I once got diverted to Cincinnati (back with my "day job" I spent a lot of time in airports :( ), and the hotel bar had a local brew (probably not a "microbrew," which allows a lot of wiggle-room) that was outstanding.

daGrizJ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
polsongrizz said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I would have a hard time taking you seriously if you think polsongrizz is a "beer snob" based off what he said regarding my comment earlier. Many in the state hold Blackfoot River Brewery in the highest regard, and 10 Mile has won awards for their Queen City Pale Ale. As for the traditional German/Austrian beer, a few Bayern beers were on my list as well-so if you think "beer snobs" like that style of beer, then perhaps polsongrizz isn't as big of a "beer snob" as you think.

Of course our beer preferences are entirely subjective, so I ain't mad that he objected to my list; but if he is considered an educated "beer snob", then I may have some disagreement about his, "snobriety." Cheers!

MTGRZ said:
daGrizJ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
polsongrizz said:

I would have a hard time taking you seriously if you think polsongrizz is a "beer snob" based off what he said regarding my comment earlier. Many in the state hold Blackfoot River Brewery in the highest regard, and 10 Mile has won awards for their Queen City Pale Ale. As for the traditional German/Austrian beer, a Bayern beer was on my list as well-so if you think "beer snobs" like that style of beer, then perhaps polsongrizz isn't as big of a "beer snob" as you think.

Of course our beer preferences are entirely subjective, so I ain't mad that he objected to my list; but if he is considered an educated "beer snob", then I may have some disagreement about his, "snobriety." Cheers!

My list, for reference.
Blackfoot Single Malt IPA
Ten Mile Queen City Pale Ale
Bayern Pilsner
Blackfoot Organic Pale Ale
Blackfoot Kolsch

MTGRZ said:
MTGRZ said:
daGrizJ said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I would have a hard time taking you seriously if you think polsongrizz is a "beer snob" based off what he said regarding my comment earlier. Many in the state hold Blackfoot River Brewery in the highest regard, and 10 Mile has won awards for their Queen City Pale Ale. As for the traditional German/Austrian beer, a Bayern beer was on my list as well-so if you think "beer snobs" like that style of beer, then perhaps polsongrizz isn't as big of a "beer snob" as you think.

My list, for reference.
Bayern Pilsner
Blackfoot Kolsch
Great read :) But when I say I WILL NOT drink free beer if it is a mass produced one, I mean it. The vast majority of beer I have cellard are all aged beers ranging in ABV from 11-25%. Just before we left for Vegas this winter I spent somewhere around $1400 on a total of four Utopia's, twelve Canadian Breakfast Stout's and a couple of other barrel aged beers.

polsongrizz said:
MTGRZ said:
MTGRZ said:
daGrizJ said:

My list, for reference.
Bayern Pilsner
Blackfoot Kolsch
Great read :) But when I say I WILL NOT drink free beer if it is a mass produced one, I mean it. The vast majority of beer I have cellard are all aged beers ranging in ABV from 11-25%. Just before we left for Vegas this winter I spent somewhere around $1400 on a total of four Utopia's, twelve Canadian Breakfast Stout's and a couple of other barrel aged beers.

Damn that's some high octane fuel. :eek: Especially if that's the majority of the beer you drink.

polsongrizz said:
MTGRZ said:
MTGRZ said:
daGrizJ said:

My list, for reference.
Bayern Pilsner
Blackfoot Kolsch
Ditto. Minus the utopias. But I rounded up the same.

Blackfoot is held in good regard. But so are a lot of breweries and I would argue there are at least 5 better breweries. I think the top breweries in the state also are ones that aren't afraid to experiment. Try new things. Blackfoot is a lot of the same. Although they were bottling some cool stuff a few years ago. Also, I'm not so sure quality at blackfoot is the same as it used to be. I used to really like the Tartanic. Last time I had it it wasn't as great as I remember.

As far as awards go I've seen a few beers that won awards that I'm kind of wondering who handed out the awards.

And I too would say "no thank you" if offered a bid light ect. I'm not making a big deal out of it. I'll just say I don't feel like drinking or maybe in a little bit.

Lastly, just because someone calls themselves a beer snob doesn't mean what they consider great is the be all end all of good beer.(several I would consider beer snobs on this thread haven't labeled themselves as such. they've displayed their knowledge by what they've talked about or what they drink. You buy utopia you my friend are a guy that knows beer most likely) in fact I would consider the term antiquated. A guy that really knows beer doesn't have to tell everyone he's a beer snob. He just really likes talking about beer. I went on a tour of a brewery recently and there was a kid that you could tell thought of himself as a beer snob. He was one of those "let me ask a question that I know the answer to but I'm asking so you know how awesome I am" guys. At one point he asks the brewer what step is repeated three times for them to make the triple IPA. Legitimate question for a lot of people that don't know, but if you think of yourself as a beer snob.....you know what triple IPA means. Then he got embarrassed when he found out what it means and he had asked the question when he was trying to impress people with his beer snobiness.

Just to add substance to this thread. Went to a grad party in Missoula last weekend. I pulled out some beer to share. The graduate got herself a bottle of Founders CBS from me. Lucky girl.
We drank:
Maui brewing imperial coconut porter made with toasted coconuts from 2017
The barrel aged charred stone xpcoveza from 2016
An o'dells bull proof barrel aged stout
A 2015 deschutes jubel
A smoked lager
And to cap it a 2016 goose island bourbon county.

At the head party I talked to a girl that used to work at a tap room in kalispell. I had not heard of it. Anyone here been? She said they emphasized tripels and quads.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Take a 12oz. can of Busch Light. Pour it into a chilled 16oz. glass. Top it off by pouring a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into said pint glass. You're welcome.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Take a 12oz. can of Busch Light. Pour it into a chilled 16oz. glass. Top it off by pouring a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into said pint glass. You're welcome.
Not sure about this beer mix, but ... whatever.

But talking about SNPA (which I happen to like), you might want to think about a boilermaker with it -- works best with Maker's Mark, IMO. But then, MM makes about any drinking situation better :). Stylewise, I consider the "traditional" approach -- chug beer, sip bourbon (usually fairly fast) -- suitable only if you are imbibing cheap stuff and just want to get drunk fast. Lots of people do mix the two, which is okay, I guess, but (again) is suitable only for lesser ingredients. Myself, I like to stretch the experience out: Savor a mouthful or so of beer, then some sips of MM, then repeat however long both last. But then, I'm a cheapskate and want to get the most out of my Maker's.

Actually, there are some other "faux" boilermakers (using Irish, Canadian or Scotch) that are not bad if the hard liquor is paired with the right beer.

I really like Highlander's oatmeal stout. Anyone else tried it? FWIW, I don't drink beer I can see through. I learned that about 50 years ago while a Peace Corps volunteer in South America, and discovered a German black lager.

Funny, as I am reading this thread, I am drinking old reliable "Chelada". Yes, I love red beer, and order it every place I visit.

As for the microbrews, I love them all. Moose Drool and Cold Smoke are my favorites. I also tried a Dark beer from the Lolo Brewery that was damn good. I cannot remember the name of it.

'68griz said:
I really like Highlander's oatmeal stout. Anyone else tried it? FWIW, I don't drink beer I can see through. I learned that about 50 years ago while a Peace Corps volunteer in South America, and discovered a German black lager.

Speaking of German beer. Have you tried Guiness Blonde? I love it.

I was fortunate enough to try CBS here in billings, definitely loved up to the hype.

Am currently cellaring one of every Abyss, since 2014. Woah I could afford more, but have a few other white whales around.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtgrizrule said:
'68griz said:

I bet he hasn't, you can see through it! :mrgreen:
I've had it - bought some from Pattee Creek Market. It was delicious - would probably make a nice black and tan mix with their stout.

mtgrizrule said:
'68griz said:

Nope, I haven't. I've always enjoyed the original Guinness.

I wish you could try My moms couisons beer from Germany, his family owns Brauhaus Neaustadt,wich is located in Bavaria, by Nurnburg. Have fun!!

Westvleteren XII.
It's $85 for a 12 oz. bottle (or $510 per sixer) at my local place. Quite the backstory.
Wondering if anyone has tried it.

Back