• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Value of Travis DeCuire

citygriz

Okay, you can't reduce everything to dollars and cents. But if you compare two sets of statistics, you begin to see the value Travis DeCuire has brought to Montana.

First stat: The KenPom ratings, where Montana ranks #72 in the country.
https://kenpom.com/

Second stat: Expenses and revenues for each school's basketball program.
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/11/17441968/ncaa-revenue-expense-statistics-college-basketball-2016-gonzaga-mid-major

I haven't taken time to count down how many schools outspend Montana on their basketball programs, but I can assure you it's way more than 72--possibly in the hundreds. It's also notable that our chief rivals, Montana State, also spend slightly more than we do, and I doubt there's anybody out there, even a Cat fan, who thinks their program is in better shape than ours.

I think all of us can glean a lot more juicy bits of information from this list, but one thing is clear: Travis DeCuire is punching way above his weight.

He has been a HUGE asset for this program. I'm nervous to see how long he stays. If he repeats last year (and I have no doubt he will) his door will be knocked over with offers. So glad he is a Griz.

Hope I'm not getting too carried away, but considering his coaching success this past season, and his recruiting moves since the season ended, I'm starting to regard him as a hoops chessmaster

We had a long discussion about the men's basketball expenses and revenues when it comes to the Big Sky Conference as well as the value of a head coach like Coach DeCuire in the second hour of Tootell and Nuanez yesterday:

https://soundcloud.com/tootell/tootell-nuanez-june-12th-2018-hour-2

Assuming the service academies are above us in spending looks like we are at about 210th in total expenses.

IdealForcefulFallowdeer-max-1mb.gif

AZGrizFan said:
Are there any legal ways to augment his salary?
There sure are in other states. Wichita State ain’t paying Greg Marshall 2 million dollars a year out of their athletic budget. Alabama boosters paid off Nick Saban’s house and bought him a condo in Florida a few years ago when Texas was going after him.

I'm thinkin' that the university would never allow private funding for a coach, without going directly through the athletic department. It is a control thing.

I think he’s focusing on recruiting and improving the program and knows in the back of his mind the future. People will come calling and he’ll be gone. I think he’s comfortable calling the shots and in control. Haven’t seen him the last two years at our spring tour event so that part of his contract has become optional.

He's valuable in his recruiting abilities, and he will soon land a gig that pays more than UM will ever pay a coach. That's how it works around here. Since 1971 there has only been 1 UM b-ball coach that did not go on to coach somewhere else in D1 (and get paid more than here). This place recruits itself (compared to most Big Sky destinations) in so many ways. When Travis moves on, we'll find someone else and they will have success too, unless they hire another Class C Montana HS coach again.

Kennedy or Holst?

Zirg said:
He's valuable in his recruiting abilities, and he will soon land a gig that pays more than UM will ever pay a coach. That's how it works around here. Since 1971 there has only been 1 UM b-ball coach that did not go on to coach somewhere else in D1 (and get paid more than here). This place recruits itself (compared to most Big Sky destinations) in so many ways. When Travis moves on, we'll find someone else and they will have success too, unless they hire another Class C Montana HS coach again.

Zirg said:

I thought Plentwood was Class B when he was there? Good one.

Back