• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

street and smiths fcs top 25

Mavman

Street & Smith’s College Football Magazine FCS Preseason Top 25
1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Kennesaw State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Sam Houston State
7. Weber State
8. Delaware
9. Elon
10. Samford
11. Northern Iowa
12. New Hampshire
13. McNeese State
14. Eastern Washington
15. North Carolina A&T
16. Northern Arizona
17. Furman
18. South Dakota
19. Sacramento State
20. Villanova
21. Wofford
22. Austin Peay
23. Illinois State
24. Richmond
25. Nicholls

very interesting top 25 with 4 BSC teams.
Will sac st prove to be top 25?
Will nau stay consistent?
What impact will the great players leaving SDSU have on the jacks?
Will anyone challenge NDSU?
Why was MSU not in the top 25!!!!!!
How far can Montana climb in this poll?

Idaho, UC Davis & Sac State have all somehow managed to make someone’s top 25. UND, PSU & CPSLO aren’t likely going to be as injured or bad as they were last season. Add them to Western, UNI, Southern Utah & you’ve got yourself a dog fight most every week of the season. Oh Yeah, State Ag is on the schedule too.

alabamagrizzly said:
reinell30 said:
Like every poll, it isn't where you start it is where you finish!

Just as long as you keep your daughters off em, you’ve done something right.

Is it ok if your wife has one for home shows? Asking for a friend of mine in Boise.
Thanks.

bgbigdog said:
alabamagrizzly said:
reinell30 said:
Like every poll, it isn't where you start it is where you finish!

Just as long as you keep your daughters off em, you’ve done something right.

Is it ok if your wife has one for home shows? Asking for a friend of mine in Boise.
Thanks.

Well it all depends on who is invited to the home shows. Are we talking personal use only? Buddies after the game on sat? Family events? Only one of these is acceptable. I’ll let you friend be the judge of which.

Anyone questioning just how far our football program has deteriorated under Bob Stitt, just consider the fact that Sacramento State is now regarded more highly by the national sports media than Montana! Is there anyone out there who thought they would EVER see the day that Sac. State would possibly be better than we are?

The short answer is that we have sunken to their level, instead of them ascending to our previous level!

Mavman said:
1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Kennesaw State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Sam Houston State
7. Weber State
8. Delaware
9. Elon
10. Samford
11. Northern Iowa
12. New Hampshire
13. McNeese State
14. Eastern Washington
15. North Carolina A&T
16. Northern Arizona
17. Furman
18. South Dakota
19. Sacramento State
20. Villanova
21. Wofford
22. Austin Peay
23. Illinois State
24. Richmond
25. Nicholls

No way is sdsu No. 3, they just lost to much, they will fall back to about 7-4 and maybe a second round playoff game and out.

braves84 said:
Mavman said:
1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Kennesaw State
5. Jacksonville State
6. Sam Houston State
7. Weber State
8. Delaware
9. Elon
10. Samford
11. Northern Iowa
12. New Hampshire
13. McNeese State
14. Eastern Washington
15. North Carolina A&T
16. Northern Arizona
17. Furman
18. South Dakota
19. Sacramento State
20. Villanova
21. Wofford
22. Austin Peay
23. Illinois State
24. Richmond
25. Nicholls

No way is sdsu No. 3, they just lost to much, they will fall back to about 7-4 and maybe a second round playoff game and out.

*too, not to

4theluvofgriz said:
Anyone questioning just how far our football program has deteriorated under Bob Stitt, just consider the fact that Sacramento State is now regarded more highly by the national sports media than Montana! Is there anyone out there who thought they would EVER see the day that Sac. State would possibly be better than we are?

The short answer is that we have sunken their their level, instead of them ascending to our previous level!

I'd argue the program was in decline well before Stitt. But yes, it is an alarming fact that not seeing Montana in a top 25 preseason poll has become common.

griznative24 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

The short answer is that we have sunken their their level, instead of them ascending to our previous level!

I'd argue the program was in decline well before Stitt. But yes, it is an alarming fact that not seeing Montana in a top 25 preseason poll has become common.

Oh, I agree that our program declined with Delaney. Engstrom and Haslam are directly responsible for our decline. Why they thought that they needed to bring a tired old 70+ year-old coach out of retirement to "save" our troubled program was idiocy. If we had conducted a national search after Pflu left, and hired the right coach, we would not be having this 10-year re-building program on our plates now.

Fans don't realize that a poor hire sets the program back much longer than the 3 wasted years under the wrong head coach!

griznative24 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Spot on, guys!
O'Day picked Pflu to guide the fortunes of the Cadillac program of the FCS. After a sputtering 7-4 first season(now considered the norm), Pflu brought our Griz back to the accustomed level. Enter Engstrom, who fires O'Day and Pflu, based on a legal charge much later refuted in court, hires Haslam and Delaney. Delaney kept for THREE F****** YEARS!!! Then, a also ran DII HC is hired to continue the mediocrity slide. Three year contract to continue this 'death by a thousand cuts,' and succeeds at his assigned task. I presume he left his green cap on his vacated desk. Stitt inherited(by that time)a lower level FCS team, at best, and brings in a whole new system and coaches, and degrades, even further, Griz football.

Who do you hang this one on, Haslam or Engstrom? I haven't seen Haslam or Engstrom fall on his sword, and Engstrom still is on the faculty. Someone's head needs to roll, but whom?

4theluvofgriz said:
griznative24 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Oh, I agree that our program declined with Delaney. Engstrom and Haslam are directly responsible for our decline. Why they thought that they needed to bring a tired old 70+ year-old coach out of retirement to "save" our troubled program was idiocy. If we had conducted a national search after Pflu left, and hired the right coach, we would not be having this 10-year re-building program on our plates now.

Fans don't realize that a poor hire sets the program back much longer than the 3 wasted years under the wrong head coach!

I don’t think Haslam can really be blamed for the downfall of the football program. I think his hands were tied by Engstrom and he was pretty much told he had to hire Stitt. Do you think if it came down to Stitt or Hauck that Hauck, a proven HC, would have been hired in 2015? Hell no, Engstrom wouldn’t allow that to happen. Stitt was the safe pick and Engstrom led the charge. In light of all that, I think Haslam has done a great job as UM’s AD.

I agree that UM took a huge risk in hiring Stitt and it didn’t work out, so I guess Haslam shares some responsibility as the AD. I honestly don’t think Hauck would be here now if Engstrom were still president, which tells me that he was the catalyst in everything going back to Pflugrad and Oday’s firings.

get'em_griz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
griznative24 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

I don’t think Haslam can really be blamed for the downfall of the football program. I think his hands were tied by Engstrom and he was pretty much told he had to hire Stitt. Do you think if it came down to Stitt or Hauck that Hauck, a proven HC, would have been hired in 2015? Hell no, Engstrom wouldn’t allow that to happen. Stitt was the safe pick and Engstrom led the charge. In light of all that, I think Haslam has done a great job as UM’s AD.

I agree that UM took a huge risk in hiring Stitt and it didn’t work out, so I guess Haslam shares some responsibility as the AD. I honestly don’t think Hauck would be here now if Engstrom were still president, which tells me that he was the catalyst in everything going back to Pflugrad and Oday’s firings.

What is this "safe pick" bullshit??? We are the Montana Grizzlies....... we don't hire safe picks, we re-tool, hire the best coach possible, and continue to dominate! Haslam hired Stitt and needs to be held accountable! We were the Alabama of FCS football........ we don't hire safe picks..... we hire WINNERS!

4theluvofgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
griznative24 said:

What is this "safe pick" bullshit??? We are the Montana Grizzlies....... we don't hire safe picks, we re-tool, hire the best coach possible, and continue to dominate! Haslam hired Stitt and needs to be held accountable! We were the Alabama of FCS football........ we don't hire safe picks..... we hire WINNERS!

Dutch is that you? You should be more careful what username you post under.

4theluvofgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
griznative24 said:

The Griz did hire great coaches. Until Engstrom, who did the firing of O’Day, Pflugrad, and hired Haslam into the incredible shitshow he created. Then directed Haslam to hire Delaney and Stitt. I might be talking out my ass, but I honestly think the whole problem was created by Engstrom and then he tied the athletic departments hands on who they could hire to be coach. Before Engstrom, the Griz hired winners. During the years he was here, the Griz didn’t hire winners. Now that Engstrom has departed, Haslam flexed his muscles, dumped what wasn’t working, and hired one of your winners. Haslam has made all the right moves that were in his power to make.

PDXGrizzly said:
4theluvofgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
4theluvofgriz said:

The Griz did hire great coaches. Until Engstrom, who did the firing of O’Day, Pflugrad, and hired Haslam into the incredible shitshow he created. Then directed Haslam to hire Delaney and Stitt. I might be talking out my ass, but I honestly think the whole problem was created by Engstrom and then he tied the athletic departments hands on who they could hire to be coach. Before Engstrom, the Griz hired winners. During the years he was here, the Griz didn’t hire winners. Now that Engstrom has departed, Haslam flexed his muscles, dumped what wasn’t working, and hired one of your winners. Haslam has made all the right moves that were in his power to make.

+1

4theluvofgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

Really? After Engstom personally had the University, let alone the AD, on a crash spiral, please provide the list of your "best coach possible" candidates that were available for Haslam to choose. The answer was of course Hauck, not allowed by Engstom. So show us the list. This job is not where most "best coach possibe"s wanted to be. You act like every coach in the country was competing for the job.

4theluvofgriz said:
griznative24 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Engstrom hired Delaney, not Haslam. Haslam was not the AD at the time. Gee was the interim AD at some point after O'Day was fired, but perhaps not yet when Delaney was fired.

Delaney finished with his teams being nos. 12 and 8 post-season, wins over the Cats, and playoffs. Don't agree that Delaney set the Griz back. What's your gripe with nos. 12 and 8 rankings?

Would love to see you explain the differences between nos. 12 and 8, and where the UM has been the last couple years.

Back