• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

4 Game "Red Shirt"

Paytonlives

Staff member
This has been brought up earlier on Egriz, but as the season approaches its more relevant now as it ever has been.

The Division I Council also approved a measure that will allow athletes to compete in up to four games without losing a season of competition.

So for players like Gabe Sulser THIS IS HUGE. It sounds like he is making a charge at playing as a frosh, but this will allow a coach to see under live action if the player is truly ready.

One: Drake game becomes a blowout (Empty the bench- get film on every freshmen you have)
Two: It allows young QB's to be put under live pressure without losing a year.
Three: Helps with injuries. Say your DE is hurting and his backup goes down he can be spelled by a young guy for a quarter or a half and not push the injury: also gains the Frosh experience.
Four: Also keeps the younger dudes engaged. If you know you "might" play rather then won't play, thats great for the mental aspect of a grueling 1st season.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but this flexibility is great for both coaches and young players.

I see the drake game being key for the O line. We have 18 O linemen with 8 of them being true freshmen... good game to find that second string kid, or possibly someone pushing for a spot.

Paytonlives said:
This has been brought up earlier on Egriz, but as the season approaches its more relevant now as it ever has been.

The Division I Council also approved a measure that will allow athletes to compete in up to four games without losing a season of competition.

So for players like Gabe Sulser THIS IS HUGE. It sounds like he is making a charge at playing as a frosh, but this will allow a coach to see under live action if the player is truly ready.

One: Drake game becomes a blowout (Empty the bench- get film on every freshmen you have)
Two: It allows young QB's to be put under live pressure without losing a year.
Three: Helps with injuries. Say your DE is hurting and his backup goes down he can be spelled by a young guy for a quarter or a half and not push the injury: also gains the Frosh experience.
Four: Also keeps the younger dudes engaged. If you know you "might" play rather then won't play, thats great for the mental aspect of a grueling 1st season.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but this flexibility is great for both coaches and young players.

Good points and I agree. Going to help the freshmen develop and stay more fully engaged with the team. Probably going to pay off down the road.

GoGriz!

I'm hoping to save some of the games for later in the year, have the younger guys who may not yet quite "be there" to continue to get better in practice and once they've earned some time, get them in on special teams @ least.

Huge deal for all schools involved, particularly developmental programs imo.

hate to say it but we have a lot of freshman that might see not only 4 games but many more. Sulser will be a regular for us this year but also will be some OL

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
I'm hoping to save some of the games for later in the year, have the younger guys who may not yet quite "be there" to continue to get better in practice and once they've earned some time, get them in on special teams @ least.

Huge deal for all schools involved, particularly developmental programs imo.

If I remember correctly then it doesn't matter WHICH 4 games? Your statement reminded me of that. Just making sure it's not a first 4 game thing. If that's the case, yeah agree that some may help out later on in the year for depth/injury issues. I think that's the spirit of this rule anyway, but wanted to make sure they were all available and not first 4 type thing.

Keep in mind one caveat to the rule is that if you appear in any postseason play at all you cannot red shirt. So the coaches are going to have to do a good job managing all of it.

HookedonGriz said:
Keep in mind one caveat to the rule is that if you appear in any postseason play at all you cannot red shirt. So the coaches are going to have to do a good job managing all of it.
Because the players discussed so far in this thread are freshman, the postseason part of the rule does apply.

However, that is not a general restriction, as I understand it ... it applies only to players who are in their "first term" at a school. So if the coaches decide to redshirt a sophomore, maybe so he can bulk up, that player could play in up to four games -- including one or more postseason games (playoffs for FCS) -- and still preserve his redshirt.

IdaGriz01 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Because the players discussed so far in this thread are freshman, the postseason part of the rule does apply.

However, that is not a general restriction, as I understand it ... it applies only to players who are in their "first term" at a school. So if the coaches decide to redshirt a sophomore, maybe so he can bulk up, that player could play in up to four games -- including one or more postseason games (playoffs for FCS) -- and still preserve his redshirt.

That is my understanding yes

Is there a link to that rule? All I've seen is that applying to midyear enrollees.

The proposal was tabled in April over questions about timing, the number of games and potential application to other sports. To mitigate one concern, the Council adopted noncontroversial legislation to specify that midyear enrollees who participate in postseason football competition that occurs before or during the student-athlete’s first term at a school cannot use the exception.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-football-offer-more-participation-opportunities

Would assume that the "4" games for most will be home games because of travel squad limits
and
yes it can be any 4 games excluding playoffs or for FBS bowl games

KoolMoeDee said:
Is there a link to that rule? All I've seen is that applying to midyear enrollees.

The proposal was tabled in April over questions about timing, the number of games and potential application to other sports. To mitigate one concern, the Council adopted noncontroversial legislation to specify that midyear enrollees who participate in postseason football competition that occurs before or during the student-athlete’s first term at a school cannot use the exception.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-football-offer-more-participation-opportunities
I've been scratching my head about that part of the change ever since it was announced ... and I think I did read it incorrectly. After reviewing a whole bunch of coach-talk in different articles, I'm thinking that it, indeed, does not apply to true freshman the way I thought.

Near as I can tell, the "midyear enrollees" wording was inserted for one specific purpose: A player could not show up on campus at the end of the fall semester (or first quarter, in that system) and immediately get to play in a bowl (or FCS playoff) game ... without losing a year of eligibility. Seems bizarre, to say the least, and I'm not quite sure how this might happen. How many coaches are going to allow a player to show up at the end of the season, basically, but still get to play in the post-season? Unless it was a promise made as some sort of recruiting ploy (which, sadly :( , I can easily imagine).

Here are my guesses as to which true Freshmen will play this season to allow the coaches to evaluate them with this new rule.

Gabe Sulser (the obvious choice)

Lorenzo Brown- he came here with every intention of making an impact as a Freshman. I hear he is already making a great case for himself.

Tyler Ganoung, Cody Kanouse, Sean Anderson- with the loss of Thayne Jackson, FR OL with size and strength will likely be given the opportunity. These 3 fit the bill. These guys just have to prove they can pick up the playbook, manage the studies, and be effective with opportunity.

Eli Alford, Alex Gubner- they are 2 of 5 on the DT depth chart. They are ready physically as true Freshman. It is essential to have depth at DT. 1 or both of these guys are likely to be part of the rotation.

Levi Janacaro- he is only 1 of 2 FB on the roster. Chances are likely, he'll see time this season.

I have ZERO doubt, these 8 will see the field this season, and likely not redshrt. These guys fit huge depth needs at their respected positions. With the new rule, a few more will likely see time as well. Rest of the Freshman play positions with great depth (DE, TE, WR, and LB). Will Hauck choose make time Garrett Graves at QB in blowout games, or use that kind of opportunity to build up a 3rd qb, such as Wilson and/or Harris?

I'd love to see what others think.

mtgrizrule said:
Here are my guesses as to which true Freshmen will play this season to allow the coaches to evaluate them with this new rule.

Lorenzo Brown- he came here with every intention of making an impact as a Freshman. I hear he is already making a great case for himself.

Tyler Ganoung, Cody Kanouse, Sean Anderson- with the loss of Thayne Jackson, FR OL with size and strength will likely be given the opportunity. These 3 fit the bill. These guys just have to prove they can pick up the playbook, manage the studies, and be effective with opportunity.

Eli Alford, Alex Gubner- they are 2 of 5 on the DT depth chart. They are ready physically as true Freshman. It is essential to have depth at DT. 1 or both of these guys are likely to be part of the rotation.

Levi Janacaro- he is only 1 of 2 FB on the roster. Chances are likely, he'll see time this season.

I have ZERO doubt, these 8 will see the field this season, and likely not redshrt. These guys fit huge depth needs at their respected positions. With the new rule, a few more will likely see time as well. Rest of the Freshman play positions with great depth (DE, TE, WR, and LB). Will Hauck choose make time Garrett Graves at QB in blowout games, or use that kind of opportunity to build up a 3rd qb, such as Wilson and/or Harris?

Actually there are 3 FB (Janacaro, LeTexier, and Fa'atuise). I would guess Janacaro won't see any time outside of the 4 games.

Eli Alford played at Air Force Prep last year so I would guess he has a good shot.

The rest seems spot on.

dirtysoup said:
mtgrizrule said:

Actually there are 3 FB (Janacaro, LeTexier, and Fa'atuise). I would guess Janacaro won't see any time outside of the 4 games.

Eli Alford played at Air Force Prep last year so I would guess he has a good shot.

The rest seems spot on.

I forgot about Le Texier changing positions.

Back