• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winners win - that's why we need MVD as coach

hardycreek1

Mick Van Diest at Carroll in Helena knows how to win.

He has WON the national Championship FIVE TIMES!

That should be enough of a resume to be the next HC of the Griz.

He's a Montana coach who loves football and knows how to win.

He's my pick & I hope he is announced as HC later today.

That is my hope too. Others will jump on here and yell no and give no reasons at all other than rumors. Some will bring up recruiting when in fact Montana recruits itself so thats not an issue. He is a great defensive minded coach that expects nothing but perfect execution. The X's and O's don't change just the talent around him. Oh and he has a great staff around him.

hardycreek1 said:

Too many skeletons in the closet. Horrible reputation when he was here under Donovan.

if you like Van Diest then some of you will be wetting your pants for Kalen DeBoer from Sioux Falls SD, 52-3 overall record.

grizrooter said:
hardycreek1 said:

Too many skeletons in the closet. Horrible reputation when he was here under Donovan.

Your going to go back 25 years for dirt?

How did Chris Hatcher work out at Georgia Southern? Success at one level guarantees nothing at another.

"Can he recruit out of state though."

He has a great reputation with Montana coaches border to border and has been personally recruiting the northwest since starting at Wyoming in the mid seventies. This includes two stints at Wyoming and at Northwestern before coming to Carroll and continuing that. He is NAIA but wouldnt have the success he is having without being able to recruit well above the level, which is a feat in itself. He is one that will seal the deal if he is in the home. Parents and quality hard working athletes love him. Our recruiting would not miss a beat with him and the staff he puts together, which would certainly include key holdovers.

Silenoz said:
How did Chris Hatcher work out at Georgia Southern? Success at one level guarantees nothing at another.

How did Jim Tressell work out for Ohio State? We can go back and forth all day.

With MVD*, I bet we would compete for the NC for the first two years. Then we would self destruct because Montana DOES NOT "recruit itself". Recognizing talent and playing that talent isn't something even Bobby was very good at. MM only had 16 catches as a sophmore for example and was a walk-on. Colt was a walk-on.

Does Caroll even have a single minority on their team? Yeah, the Griz will win a bunch of games with 30% Capital High players... not.

Also, the allegations at Caroll are beyond disturbing. That would would kill the program deader than Brittney Murphy.

MVD* couldn't even get the Cats job over Rob Ash and you guys want him coaching the Griz? Loolz.

I don't know if that's the only reason he should get it, but I do agree that he has probably the MOST impressive resume of any other named candidate.

10 years at Carroll College
117-19 (86%)
9 Consecutive Frontier Conference Championships
Defense was ranked in top-10 2001-2007 (11th in 2000, 11th in 2008, 23rd in 2009)
7-time Frontier Conference Coach of the Year
2-time NAIA Coach of the Year (03, 05)
5 National Championships (02-05, 07)
Appeared in 6 of the last 8 National Championship games
Coached 3 NAIA Players of the Year
Played for Griz in the 70's
Coaching stints at Montana, Wyoming, UMass, and Northwestern
Montana native (Helena) who would probably make the Griz his last coaching stop which means he's not looking to use the Griz job as a stepping stone like all of the younger prospects.

So... what is everyone's opinion? You can't deny his impressive resume, regardless of the level. Just because it's NAIA doesn't mean he can't coach at the next level with the same intelligence and intensity that he has at Carroll for the past 10 years.

Now, I'm not sayi

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
Silenoz said:

How did Jim Tressell work out for Ohio State? We can go back and forth all day.
That's why I used the word "guarantee"

DiscoGriz said:
Can he recruit out of state though.

He pulled some amazing recruits out of CA and the northwest and that was for little 'ol Carroll College!!! Imagine what he could do for the Griz... As someone else said, he won't miss a beat. The Griz name in itself will get his foot in the door and his impressive CHAMPIONSHIP resume will give those kids hope that Hauck never could... Im just saying

djollieballs said:
With MVD*, I bet we would compete for the NC for the first two years. Then we would self destruct because Montana DOES NOT "recruit itself". Recognizing talent and playing that talent isn't something even Bobby was very good at. MM only had 16 catches as a sophmore for example and was a walk-on. Colt was a walk-on.

Does Caroll even have a single minority on their team? Yeah, the Griz will win a bunch of games with 30% Capital High players... not.

Also, the allegations at Caroll are beyond disturbing. That would would kill the program deader than Brittney Murphy.

MVD* couldn't even get the Cats job over Rob Ash and you guys want him coaching the Griz? Loolz.

Well you kind of just blew your whole argument out of the water. Montana does recruit itself. Colt and Marc walked on to Montana because of just that. And get your facts strait Mike pulled his name out of the running at MSU he didn't even finish the process. Ash wasn't even MSU's #1 guy. The program of Montana DOES recruit itself at this level of football.

deputygrizbro said:
117-19 (86%) winning
Appeared in 6 of the last 8 National Championship games

Montana native (East Helena) who would probably make the Griz his last coaching stop which means he's not looking to use the Griz job as a stepping stone like all of the younger prospects.

You can't deny his impressive resume, regardless of the level. Just because it's NAIA doesn't mean he can't coach at the next level with the same intelligence and intensity that he has at Carroll for the past 10 years.

Exactly - he's won the NC five times, he's from Montana, and he probbaly won't leave for another bigger school.

deputygrizbro said:
I don't know if that's the only reason he should get it, but I do agree that he has probably the MOST impressive resume of any other named candidate.

Where has this list of so called candidates come from? The U is completely mum on this situation until UNLV introduced Hauck this afternoon. So these so called "named" candidates are coming from where, all of us so called expert arm chair quarterbacks/coaches??? Give me a break...our instituation has to much pride and tradition at stake to screw this decision up. No matter who "THEY" not us choose will be the right fit for the Griz!

To the MVD* supporters:

Do you think Caroll would give the Griz a game if they played?

Does MVD* have a single minority on his Caroll team? Has he ever?

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
djollieballs said:

Well you kind of just blew your whole argument out of the water. Montana does recruit itself. Colt and Marc walked on to Montana because of just that. And get your facts strait Mike pulled his name out of the running at MSU he didn't even finish the process. Ash wasn't even MSU's #1 guy. The program of Montana DOES recruit itself at this level of football.

Do you think Caroll would give the Griz a game if they played each other?

deputygrizbro said:
DiscoGriz said:
Can he recruit out of state though.

He pulled some amazing recruits out of CA and the northwest and that was for little 'ol Carroll College!!! Imagine what he could do for the Griz... As someone else said, he won't miss a beat. The Griz name in itself will get his foot in the door and his impressive CHAMPIONSHIP resume will give those kids hope that Hauck never could... Im just saying

Let me guess, you went to Caroll?

Back