• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Matt Miller DECIDES ON...

loyalgriz said:
mtfats said:
He will be lucky to see much playing time as a Jr. MSU or UM 3 or 4 yr starter depending on if he is Red Shirted.

Are you a fool or just play one on EGriz? :lol:

these kind of comments piss me off! who is to say that he cant be a stud there. guy probably hasnt even seen him play. nice.

SportsFan87 said:
Boise State is a quality program, I can't argue with his decision.

I can.

BSU Tuition: $13,868
Room/Board: $5,114
Total 4 years: $94,910

Stanford Tuition: $37,380
Room/Board: $11,463
Total 4 years: $195,372

Aside from the career opportunities a Stanford degree offers, Mr. Miller's decision cost him the equivalent of $100,000.

reed rothchild said:
SportsFan87 said:

I can.

Aside from the career opportunities a Stanford degree offers, Mr. Miller's decision cost him the equivalent of $100,000.

Did you know he wanted to be closer to home because his mother is very ill?? Don't judge the kids decision when you obviously don't know all of the facts that went into his decision.

Hammer said:
Did you know he wanted to be closer to home because his mother is very ill?? Don't judge the kids decision when you obviously don't know all of the facts that went into his decision.

I DID know that. Boise is a long 9 hour drive, it's easier to get a flight from San Francisco to Helena, and we're talking $100,000.

And you're gonna get a better college experience in the Bay Area, in my humble opinion.

That said, I wish him the best.

reed rothchild said:
SportsFan87 said:

I can.

using your logic stanford should never lose a recruit

Well, I wouldn't spend 4 or 5 years in the Bay Area for $100 grand, or whatever the Stanford ejumacation is worth. Also, Matt won't be the only one at BSU with a Stanford offer. Kirby Moore, brother of our QB, had one and there might be others. We've got a tight end with a Harvard offer, so take that for what its worth.

Anyway, Stanford is more of a volleyball school than a football school. The best thing about Stanford's football team is their band. Now, they're pretty cool. :thumb:

Yesterday I thought there is no way that Miller plays as a freshman, barring injuries. But now I hear that one of our WRs is thinking of entering the NFL draft a year early. So things look different today. :geek:

Taking Boise State out of the equation altogether, a recruit who has a chance to go to Stanford, as opposed to almost any college in the country, should probably take it.

I'm talking about the student-athlete's future prospects. If he's an NFL-caliber player, he will get noticed at Stanford. If he isn't, or even if he is and we're talking about his post-NFL life, his options for making it in the professional world are probably better coming out of Stanford, a top-5 U.S. university, than anywhere else in the West except for perhaps Cal Tech.

No offense to Boise State intended. I'd say the same thing when comparing UM to Stanford.

This is, of course, if you could stand/enjoy four years in the Bay Area. Even if I didn't like it a lot, I think I could plug my nose and look forward to life after college if I were smart enough to be admitted to Stanford.

He will likely only take general studies courses his first year, but is looking into wildlife biology as a major. He said he would also love to be a football coach in the future.

Doesn't take a Stanford education to be a football coach.

Maybe he doesn't like school that much and thinks Stanford may be too much for him to deal with???

Boise was one of the few schools who was recruiting him as a WR. Most others wanted him as a CB and thus you get the idea...

bronco22 said:
Well, I wouldn't spend 4 or 5 years in the Bay Area for $100 grand, or whatever the Stanford ejumacation is worth. Also, Matt won't be the only one at BSU with a Stanford offer. Kirby Moore, brother of our QB, had one and there might be others. We've got a tight end with a Harvard offer, so take that for what its worth.

Anyway, Stanford is more of a volleyball school than a football school. The best thing about Stanford's football team is their band. Now, they're pretty cool. :thumb:

Yesterday I thought there is no way that Miller plays as a freshman, barring injuries. But now I hear that one of our WRs is thinking of entering the NFL draft a year early. So things look different today. :geek:

You have never seen Miller play.

He is the best receiver you have on your team and he isnt there yet.

I will let you apologize to me in a couple years when you figure it out.

There's a good write up in the August 2009 Helena Independent Record re: Miller:

http://www.helenair.com/sports/football/college/article_4acd7952-9209-11de-aabb-001cc4c002e0.html

It may have already been posted in another thread. I think it's as close as we'll get into the head of this kid. There are some excerpts I think are notable:

"UM and MSU are primarily recruiting him for basketball."

"Once I feel the place is right and I feel comfortable there, I'll commit," he said.... "Right now, it's still a possibility that I'd play basketball and football in college (for the Bobcats or Griz)," he said. ... "From talking to the coaches from the big schools, they said I could probably succeed better in football."

"A 3.7 GPA student, Miller said it's important to find the right balance between football and academics when selecting a school."... "I would like to go to a good football program just because I'm used to winning and I hate losing," said Miller, who can count his losses with Capital's football team on just one hand.

"He can run like a deer, he can jump, he can basically do anything," Murphy said. "He can play any position on the field and he makes me a smarter coach because we're able to do some amazing things with him."

My comments: Much of this is self-evident (UM recruiting him for basketball, if true). He was told by the big schools he would be better at football. He wants a winning program on the FBS level & Boise State is that. His HS GPA was 3.7; he's not a dummy & I don't think the academic program or prestige of the school mattered that much to him. I think his mind is having a successful football career on the big stage & I don't think the "prestige" of the Pac-10 schools mattered that much to him. Plus, he's not that far from home. He is as talented as another Matt: Matt Szczur of Villanova. All success to him.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but, ....., I completely agree with Alpha on this one. Miller's a stud and you will see.

grizfan95 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but, ....., I completely agree with Alpha on this one. Miller's a stud and you will see.

That would be a REAL treat and I really hope you guys are right, as there are a few sure lock early round draft picks on the team already. I've seen quite a bit of film on Miller and he looks like a great possession receiver. If he is better than either Pettis, or Titus Young, I'd be very surprised, but it would be a very pleasant surprise.

Number 2 and 4 in the following vid are probably our two best receivers right now. I think Matt is more in the mold of number 2, (Austin Pettis)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrWYylsfKPU[/youtube]

Stanford is a much better school than BSU. However, not everybody fits in there. I find it extremely funny that there is people on this board that are critical to his decision when they probably don't even know the kid. I've spent time in the Bay Area and Boise. As a Montana kid, i felt MUCH more comfortable and at home in Boise. Wish the kid the best. Don't know him, but it seems he'll represent our state well.

hooknliberty said:
That would be a REAL treat and I really hope you guys are right, as there are a few sure lock early round draft picks on the team already. I've seen quite a bit of film on Miller and he looks like a great possession receiver. If he is better than either Pettis, or Titus Young, I'd be very surprised, but it would be a very pleasant surprise.

If true, this could well be the factor in Miller's decision, revealing he has his eye on the NFL, as is his right. What better school to go to for national exposure, close to home, than Boise State? Could BState now be what Notre Dame once was, a hunting ground for NFL talent? Wouldn't it be great to play with NFL-bound talent?

putter said:
mtfats said:
He will be lucky to see much playing time as a Jr. MSU or UM 3 or 4 yr starter depending on if he is Red Shirted.

He was told he could see the field as a Freshman. Interesting that Petrino flies up to see him and Harbaugh shows up unannounced at his front door and watches a Ravens game with him at his house. Rumor has it that he tried to call BH but, once the playoffs started, all the coaches stopped recruiting. he could not even get a hold of them. All 9 Boise coaches showed up at Capital to talk with him and when he could not contact UM, his choice was made......

not that it matters but i'm pretty sure he knew harbaugh was on his way as did most of the country.
musberger talked with harbaugh about the trip on national television.

Back