• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Email from O'Day about the WAC, BSC & More.

Grizmayor said:
Why would Engstrom have the final say? Curious. There's NO security net for failure at the next level and the $$$$ are more "hope" than anything. Also: Why did this appear on Bobcat Nation? The Cat faithful have to be laughing their asses off right now if this is all true. :laugh: The Wages of Success are New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho and whomever else. Oh boy. Scoot over Western Kentucky, Marshall and Idaho... there's a new dipshit moving onto the block. :cya: Big Sky Conference.
Well there is clearly no security net for success at this level...

Why would O'Day not want anyone to know that info?

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe he'd like it secret so he can better negotiate with the WAC. Because those numbers make us look rather desperate.

any comment from the "Insiders" and "Friends of the Program" regarding this email would be appreciated. Some of you have said that your "sources" within the program (Jim O'Day included as a source) have all but promised we stay at the FCS level.....what do you all make of this email?? I hope you all enjoy Crow...because you might be eating it for a loooonnnnggg time if we join the WAC. Another example that shows how the Egriz Mafia doesn't know shit :thumb: Here's hoping we move up!! GO GRIZ!!

GrizDDS said:
Why would O'Day not want anyone to know that info?

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe he'd like it secret so he can better negotiate with the WAC. Because those numbers make us look rather desperate.

Dude...the WAC is desperate

Grizmayor said:
Why would Engstrom have the final say? Curious. There's NO security net for failure at the next level and the $$$$ are more "hope" than anything. Also: Why did this appear on Bobcat Nation? The Cat faithful have to be laughing their asses off right now if this is all true. :laugh: The Wages of Success are New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho and whomever else. Oh boy. Scoot over Western Kentucky, Marshall and Idaho... there's a new dipshit moving onto the block. :cya: Big Sky Conference.

From what I've seen, the Cat fans aren't "laughing their asses off" about the possibility of the Griz moving up. Some don't seem concerned about it, and others are not wanting to be left behind.

The Griz leaving the Big Sky behind and the FCS behind is going to be a huge blow to not only the Big Sky conference, but to the entire playoff system in the FCS (which is already struggling).

Silenoz said:
Grizmayor said:
Well there is clearly no security net for success at this level...
But the fall won't kill us... This state doesn't have the $10's of millions of dollars to bail out our athletic department when the shit hits the fan. And being a loser like Idaho attracts students? LMAO... okay, whatever. What we need to do is get more men to come to Liberalville and go to school. Beat this bogus Title IX horseshit that has afflicted our sports.

I certainly don't want the griz or the cats to go... but if they must, I hope they go together. The rivalry is too rich in history to let die... :(

Dexter X said:
Grizmayor said:

From what I've seen, the Cat fans aren't "laughing their asses off" about the possibility of the Griz moving up. Some don't seem concerned about it, and others are not wanting to be left behind.

The Griz leaving the Big Sky behind and the FCS behind is going to be a huge blow to not only the Big Sky conference, but to the entire playoff system in the FCS (which is already struggling).
The boys I know that are season-ticket holders sure are... nothing would make them happier than to see Montana football turn into a huge, predictable flop at the next level. There ain't nothing bigger than the GrizNation Ego... you don't think all the schools in the Big Sky would love to see our big-boy undies asperations kick us in the ass. They're loving it... :thumb:

I have been solidly in the "stay in the BSC" camp all along, but I have been waivering of late. This e-mail from O'Day puts me over the top. I'm ready to get out of this bush-league conference and aline with our peer schools.

Grizmayor said:
Sour grapes from you. O'Day thoroughly shoots down your contention that there is a huge cost to move up. Of course you love to ignore the revenue increase. O'Day has stated the case that the best financial move for UM is to move up. We have kept the BSC on life support long enough. We should have moved earlier.

After O'Day's well articulated statement, I will no longer be an O'Day critic. He is getting braver with the passing of GD.

Engstrom will have the say because he is the one that will held accountable by the Regents. Simple as that.

Grizmayor, I think you are missing the point. No matter what the University decides, the future of Griz athletics is going to be different, going to change drastically.

Grizmayor said:
The boys I know that are season-ticket holders sure are... nothing would make them happier than to see Montana football turn into a huge, predictable flop at the next level. There ain't nothing bigger than the GrizNation Ego... you don't think all the schools in the Big Sky would love to see our big-boy undies asperations kick us in the ass. They're loving it... :thumb:

Sounds like they aren't actually fans of the cats, they are just fans of rooting against the Griz..

Ask them how they think the Big Sky will be without Montana in it. Ask them how much they'll like losing the rivalry game with the Griz, and never having the Griz go to Bozeman to play the cats again (since WAC teams don't travel to play FCS teams).

If they don't care about any of that, then it really sounds like they just hate the Griz, and aren't actual Cat fans :)

If this email is legit (it appears to be) then it seals the deal as far as O'Day is concerned. Unfortunately virtually all of the "Money Questions" remain unanswered. O'Day said "With state funding flat and student athletic fees holding tight, and with expenses growing year-by-year at a steady pace... we find ourselves at a cross roads." Obviously O'Day has decided the Grizzlies will move, he is just struggling to find the reasons to rationalize it.

Expenses: The Title 9 issues are only compounded with a move to FBS. Adding new sports to compete in FBS is more dollars for coaching, athletes, equipment and facilities. Expense also takes a big jump with all the extra scholarships required (and yet more due to higher % of out of state athletes). Teams want more to come to Missoula to play, yet even in FBS teams will still want more $$ to come to Missoula. Travel costs are up, yet WAC entails even more travel expense.

Revenue: With a home/away deal we may get the Univ. of Texas in Missoula. Yet the Longhorns coming to town still generates the same revenue as Western St coming into Missoula (a sell out is a sell out).
WAC TV revenue is higher than current pay. Yet WAC TV revenue will drop dramatically with Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. all leaving. Higher WAC payments than Big Sky payments, yet how much does that confernece payment also drop with the loss of their three premiere teams? Home playoffs sent $1,000,000 to NCAA and left just $100M here. Yet no home playoff leaves $0 here.

So in essence here is the deal;
Staying put means steadily increased expenses with flat revenue. Moving on means significantly higher expenses with slightly higher revenue. Bottom line, if we move on, the GSA's annual $1,500,000 gift needs to increase about 300% to 400% every year. Does O'Day have any other solution? :ugeek:

grizindabox said:
Grizmayor, I think you are missing the point. No matter what the University decides, the future of Griz athletics is going to be different, going to change drastically.
I guess it comes down to winning and losing and being somebody and being a nobody. Right? This is like my local little town bank wanting to play with the big boy banks in Billings... Oh Golly, lookee all the money they have... and WE can be JUST like the big banks and all the banking recruits will come to our little bank cuz now we think we're a big bank... except we're still a little bank with no money. And we're gonna build this BIG bank building for our little town, which has no money to put in the bank. But the big bank's TV money will keep our little bank afloat, unless they keep all the money. But then we can go to our little town and have them foot the bill for our stupid dream of being a big bank. Hmmm... Get the drift.

The way I interpreted the email is that we are going to need to add two women's sports regardless of whether or not we move because we're currently not completely title IX compliant. That was one of the biggest things that stood out to me.

Grizzlies1982 said:
If this email is legit (it appears to be) then it seals the deal as far as O'Day is concerned. Unfortunately virtually all of the "Money Questions" remain unanswered. O'Day said "With state funding flat and student athletic fees holding tight, and with expenses growing year-by-year at a steady pace... we find ourselves at a cross roads." Obviously O'Day has decided the Grizzlies will move, he is just struggling to find the reasons to rationalize it.

Expenses: The Title 9 issues are only compounded with a move to FBS. Adding new sports to compete in FBS is more dollars for coaching, athletes, equipment and facilities. Expense also takes a big jump with all the extra scholarships required (and yet more due to higher % of out of state athletes). Teams want more to come to Missoula to play, yet even in FBS teams will still want more $$ to come to Missoula. Travel costs are up, yet WAC entails even more travel expense.

Revenue: With a home/away deal we may get the Univ. of Texas in Missoula. Yet the Longhorns coming to town still generates the same revenue as Western St coming into Missoula (a sell out is a sell out).
WAC TV revenue is higher than current pay. Yet WAC TV revenue will drop dramatically with Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. all leaving. Higher WAC payments than Big Sky payments, yet how much does that confernece payment also drop with the loss of their three premiere teams? Home playoffs sent $1,000,000 to NCAA and left just $100M here. Yet no home playoff leaves $0 here.

Staying put means steadily increased expenses with flat revenue. Moving on means significantly higher expenses with slightly higher revenue. Bottom line, if we move on, the GSA's annual $1,500,000 gift needs to increase about 300% to 400% every year. Does O'Day have any other solution? :ugeek:
Thank you for putting it into the proper perspective... EXCELLENT!

Grizmayor said:
grizindabox said:
I guess it comes down to winning and losing and being somebody and being a nobody. Right? This is like my local little town bank wanting to play with the big boy banks in Billings... Oh Golly, lookee all the money they have... and WE can be JUST like the big banks and all the banking recruits will come to our little bank cuz now we think we're a big bank... except we're still a little bank with no money. And we're gonna build this BIG bank building for our little town, which has no money to put in the bank. But the big bank's TV money will keep our little bank afloat, unless they keep all the money. But then we can go to our little town and have them foot the bill for our stupid dream of being a big bank. Hmmm... Get the drift.
Poor Darby.

Grizmayor said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

Thank you for putting it into the proper perspective... EXCELLENT!

You are welcome. :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:

You must've missed these parts:
"And to put in perspective, we LOST $150,000 each of the past two year going to the championship game. Had we won, the incentives for coaches would have put the losses over $200,000 each time. We get no additional revenue for any of this."

"--- AND OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE: We are NOT considering the health and welfare of the student-athletes, who are having to spend at least one month of playing 4-5 more games --- which is permanently damaging their bodies – and hurting their academics. This is not fair to them – nor their coaches. This is where all of us are selfish, and want the playoff system vs. a bowl. At the FBS level, there is a month off to recover bodies, take care of academics and finals, and at the end, a reward of a bowl and some fun --- and the schools don’t lose money like we do at the FCS level."

Also, with the playoff system losing money for the NCAA, will it be kept around, done away with, or significantly changed in some way? Who knows..

Back