• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

TV - What's the deal?

Sundown

So, I've been offline a lot since last fall and didn't see what the problem was between the athletic department and KPAX in respect to why they arn't broadcasting football this season. This surfing from broadcaster to broadcaster is f*cking lame and pathetic. It doesnt help that we don't get any of the channels the games are on this season with our current Dish sub.

What happened was the Big Sky Conference signed a deal with Root Sports to televise a certain number of conference games. They chose to show 7 of the 8 conference games the Griz are in, including the Bobcat game. Without the Big Sky games (especially Cat-Griz), it wasn't worth it to KPAX to bid on the remaining games. (This also may be a bit of a hissy fit over no longer having the main broadcast rights). The games thus have various other broadcasters covering them; (I think today's game is being covered by Liberty's regular TV broadcasters and picked up by Altitude, for example)

non-conference games have always been a crapshoot, just be thankful it's on something as accessable as Altitude.

OleGriz said:
What happened was the Big Sky Conference signed a deal with Root Sports to televise a certain number of conference games. They chose to show 7 of the 8 conference games the Griz are in, including the Bobcat game. Without the Big Sky games (especially Cat-Griz), it wasn't worth it to KPAX to bid on the remaining games. (This also may be a bit of a hissy fit over no longer having the main broadcast rights). The games thus have various other broadcasters covering them; (I think today's game is being covered by Liberty's regular TV broadcasters and picked up by Altitude, for example)

OK, I think I remember something of that now. Basically by going along with the BS's tv contract, UM has created the equivalent of its own NFL blackout dates during the non-conference games in order to increase ticket revenue.

Anyone know how long the tv deal was inked for?

Sundown, NO, you're wrong. The new TV contract had NOTING to do with tickets sales. As stated earlier, the BIG SKY CONFERENCE chose to sign the deal with Root, and Root is actually considered a national sports channel at this point, as both Dish and DirecTV offer it, as does Montana's main cable provider, Bresnan/Optimum. Secondly, NOT one single Griz game is "blacked out" as you say. All three of the aformentioned providers carry Altitude as well, which today's game is being broadcast. IF you have Dish or DirecTV and you DON'T have Altitude, either you are too cheap to pay for the sports package, which is like an additional 7 dollars a month, or your programming is screwed up and you should be angry at your service provider. In ANY event, NONE of the Griz games are "blacked out" or are not available to a market. IN FACT, the games on Root and today's Liberty game are available to a much LARGER audience then if it were broadcast on KPAX.

Anyone know what channel altitude is on direct tv. Gotto introduce the sports bar here in big 12 country who the griz are!!

Hey, someone said you could view the game on DISH at channel 142, but I'm not even finding that channel listed--even in those I don't subscribe to. Anyone know where to find it on Dish?

Let's hope the UL Monroe Auburn game ends soon. It's 28-21 Auburn with 3:17 left. ULM is driving to tie it up.

maroon said:
Let's hope the UL Monroe Auburn game ends soon. It's 28-21 Auburn with 3:17 left. ULM is driving to tie it up.

Hopefully with a game-winning TD for UL Monroe!!!

Since the Griz game telecast is waiting, I was hoping the same for the bobcat game because watching Ohio State look like crap against Cal was very amusing

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I presume the Griz game starts with or without Altitude being ready to broadcast. Is that correct?

Yes the game is going on. Griz 3 and out, but Liberty just punted back to them.

grizfanatic said:
Hey, someone said you could view the game on DISH at channel 142, but I'm not even finding that channel listed--even in those I don't subscribe to. Anyone know where to find it on Dish?
I've got it on Dish channel 410.

I have ATT U-Verse, and it looks like they don't carry the Root channels at all... well, crap. Does Fox's college sports channels ever play the games? I really want to watch the games on TV, not my computer...

Back