• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coldest Game You Ever Played In/Attended?

OlPonyQB said:
Montana HS games have made for epic battles in the Weather.

Indeed. I don't remember the exact year, but it was sometime in the 70's. Butte High vs. Havre Blue Ponies for state championship game. Damn cold. Bulldogs won.

The App St blizzard of 2009...followed closely by a couple other night playoff games, maybe one was Wofford but don't remember after the rage Phenicie put me in when he ran on 3rd and long with about 5-7 mins left in game and the Griz only got the ball back in closing min or two. Also Cat-Griz 1996 was first real cold game I attended when discovered cold peppermint schnapps mixed with hot chocolate is disgusting.

Wish I was adding tomorrows game to list so cheer loud for me Griz Nation.

Played youth hockey on outdoor rinks in weather well below -30 degrees below many times. Coldest was probably when we went up to Saskatchewan for a double header in January during the mid 90s when I believe it was -44 below with windchill. You only noticed the cold when you were in the penalty box

My nephew played in a playoff game in ND about 20 years ago and it was windy and sleeting/snowing...that was a cold, wet MF.

When I was stationed on the artic circle, we would play at temps sometimes down to -80. no wind chill. The real adventure was snowmobiling at 80 below. Real hard to see and breathe.
This game isn't a picnic for CC or Griz fans. I can't believe anyone really enjoys the weather this cold, nobody!

I played a college baseball game in Beautano ND...end of march 2002, -3 windchill! Beat em by 18 runs in the first game....they tried to cancel the 2nd game and call it a wash, we said no we wanted to play...their coach forfeited....in their home field! haha.

baseball is not ment to be played in that weather, trust me!

The App State/Griz game in 2009!

The Grizo was REALLY cold at that one!!

18943129-pig-on-snow.jpg

i remember the capital-cmr championship game in '78 or '79 being extremely cold. bobby petrino was the qb for capital. i think the cmr qb might havebeen john leister, who went to michigan state? or maybe leister was the next year??

The Griz cat streak ender in 2002. Temp wasn't that cold but that wet sleet rain and wind was horrible. I can stay warm if I'm dry but we couldn't stay dry or warm that day. Coldest Griz game for me but it wasn't even mentioned in the Missoulian article.

Hard to believe the air temperature was really 17 degrees for the Appy game in 2009. I've been at most of Fritz's list of all-time cold Griz' games. I will say, a Chinook playoff game in 2009 was probably the coldest I've ever spent at a football game, and the next year, while I was at the balmy Griz-Cat game in Missoula, the wind chill was -21 for Chinook's state title win over Wibaux. The field was completely frozen, Chinook put up 70 on Wibaux, and the Longhorn fans flooded the MHSA phones and our Havre Daily website crying foul that the game should have been postponed.

Coldest ever played in. The 1982 chipper in Sidney. 10 below and 40 below wind chill. Still trying to warm up!

The UMass game is the one where I felt the coldest.
App State in 2009 was cold but so much fun I hardly noticed.
I don't remember being cold at the Wofford game. Just stunned at the end.

UMass was miserable in all ways. I'm sure the loss greatly enhanced my misery.

Hammer said:
Coldest ever played in. The 1982 chipper in Sidney. 10 below and 40 below wind chill. Still trying to warm up!

My cousins played in that. Uncle and Pops went to watch it. Still hear from all of them about how it was the coldest they have ever been.

I seem to recall one of the last games at Dornblaser v. Boise State being subzero. Anyone else remember that game? There were only about 500 people in the stands so memories might be thin.

havgrizfan said:
Hard to believe the air temperature was really 17 degrees for the Appy game in 2009. I've been at most of Fritz's list of all-time cold Griz' games. I will say, a Chinook playoff game in 2009 was probably the coldest I've ever spent at a football game, and the next year, while I was at the balmy Griz-Cat game in Missoula, the wind chill was -21 for Chinook's state title win over Wibaux. The field was completely frozen, Chinook put up 70 on Wibaux, and the Longhorn fans flooded the MHSA phones and our Havre Daily website crying foul that the game should have been postponed.

App St 09 was balmy compared to several other games. Doesn't even make my top 5. But my legs warming up in the motel that night reminded me that it was friggin cold out, :shock:

Back