• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Barry Anderson (aka, Monte, aka Benny the Bull) arrested!

tanagriz

Benny the Bull Busted in Taste Battery

By Jeremy Gorner
Tribune staff reporter
Published July 3, 2006, 2:19 PM CDT

Chicago Bulls mascot Benny the Bull has been arrested for allegedly punching an off-duty Cook County sheriff's deputy who tried to stop him from riding a mini-motorcycle through Grant Park over the weekend.

Barry Anderson, who portrays the mascot, was charged with misdemeanor battery after breaking the deputy's eyeglasses and watch during the scuffle, which occurred around 6:20 p.m. Sunday at the Taste of Chicago, Chicago Police Officer Laura Kubiak said. The deputy, who was on security detail at the festival, was not hurt.

The deputy was with Chicago police officers who approached Anderson to see whether he had a permit to ride the motorcycle, police said. Anderson, 26, who was working as Benny at the Taste, did not get permission from the city to ride the bike through the park, Kubiak said.

"When (Chicago) police approached him (Anderson), he drove away," Kubiak said. "The off-duty sheriff's deputy assisted the police and grabbed Benny the Bull at which time he began swinging his arms, striking the victim."

Anderson, of the 2100 block of North California Avenue, was placed in custody in the Central District lockup after the incident. He was also ticketed for driving on a sidewalk/parkway, Kubiak said. He did not have a permit to operate the motorcycle in the park, according to police.

A spokeswoman with the Chicago Park District said motorcyclists are typically not allowed to ride through the park, but had no further details about the incident.

Veronica Resa, a spokeswoman with the Mayor's Office of Special Events, said Benny the Bull was entertaining the crowd in the Family Village section at the Taste. She declined to comment on his arrest, saying only that police stopped him because of "a matter of public safety."

"We always love working with the Chicago Bulls and we know that what happened was not their fault," Resa said.

A sheriff's office spokesman could not provide any information about the deputy this afternoon, and representatives from the Chicago Bulls could not immediately be reached for comment.

This was not the first time a Bulls mascot has had brushes with the law.

Chester Brewer, who portrayed Da Bull, the other half of the team's mascot duo, pleaded guilty in February 2005 to possession of cannabis with intent to deliver. He was sentenced to 18 months' probation. Brewer was arrested near the Cabrini-Green housing complex in January 2004, after undercover police saw him selling marijuana from his vehicle.

Mich Griz said:
That's a bunch of Bull Sh!*

:lol:

Seriously though I wonder (IF this story is the accurate truth) what goes through people's heads when they strike back or run from cops, you're just making things worse. I just don't get it.

I'm not saying it's not true. It's a story about the Bulls so it is BULL Sh!*. I'm sure Barry thought he was entertaining folks. THe law says no motorcycles in the park there probably is a ban on Bulls in the park too. The cops need to lighten up....It's part of the act.
If this holds up watch Missoula's finest arrest Monte for driving a motorcycle in Wa/Griz. It doesn't justify Barry hitting the cop but Bulls can be unpredictable if there is cows around.

tanagriz said:
Benny the Bull Busted in Taste Battery

By Jeremy Gorner
Tribune staff reporter
Published July 3, 2006, 2:19 PM CDT

Chicago Bulls mascot Benny the Bull has been arrested for allegedly punching an off-duty Cook County sheriff's deputy who tried to stop him from riding a mini-motorcycle through Grant Park over the weekend.

Barry Anderson, who portrays the mascot, was charged with misdemeanor battery after breaking the deputy's eyeglasses and watch during the scuffle, which occurred around 6:20 p.m. Sunday at the Taste of Chicago, Chicago Police Officer Laura Kubiak said. The deputy, who was on security detail at the festival, was not hurt.

The deputy was with Chicago police officers who approached Anderson to see whether he had a permit to ride the motorcycle, police said. Anderson, 26, who was working as Benny at the Taste, did not get permission from the city to ride the bike through the park, Kubiak said.

"When (Chicago) police approached him (Anderson), he drove away," Kubiak said. "The off-duty sheriff's deputy assisted the police and grabbed Benny the Bull at which time he began swinging his arms, striking the victim."

Anderson, of the 2100 block of North California Avenue, was placed in custody in the Central District lockup after the incident. He was also ticketed for driving on a sidewalk/parkway, Kubiak said. He did not have a permit to operate the motorcycle in the park, according to police.

A spokeswoman with the Chicago Park District said motorcyclists are typically not allowed to ride through the park, but had no further details about the incident.

Veronica Resa, a spokeswoman with the Mayor's Office of Special Events, said Benny the Bull was entertaining the crowd in the Family Village section at the Taste. She declined to comment on his arrest, saying only that police stopped him because of "a matter of public safety."

"We always love working with the Chicago Bulls and we know that what happened was not their fault," Resa said.

A sheriff's office spokesman could not provide any information about the deputy this afternoon, and representatives from the Chicago Bulls could not immediately be reached for comment.

This was not the first time a Bulls mascot has had brushes with the law.

Chester Brewer, who portrayed Da Bull, the other half of the team's mascot duo, pleaded guilty in February 2005 to possession of cannabis with intent to deliver. He was sentenced to 18 months' probation. Brewer was arrested near the Cabrini-Green housing complex in January 2004, after undercover police saw him selling marijuana from his vehicle.

Let me just say that I'm not surprised and leave it at that.

Was this the same Monte guy that was banned from the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse for being an A$$ as well?

WILD_CAT said:
Was this the same Monte guy that was banned from the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse for being an A$$ as well?

Well thank Gawd he Didn't murder anyone with that Hawg!

Or, were they 30 year old little wooden temporary steps?

wooden_steps_big.jpg

Did he know the "undercover Cop" was a cop?
I suppose he identified himself as a cop....story doesn't say.

The real tragedy in what happened in Bozeman last week isn't that 2 drug dealers killed another drug dealer. The real tragedy (to MSU fans) is 2 of the Drug dealers involved MSU and MSU athletics. To tell the truth: MSU fans all cringe to think everytime they post a snide arrogant comment on the superiority of MSU they face the chance to have the facts of the drug dealing, gun toting, bobcats commented on.

(other wise this would be a dead issue)

jagur1 said:
The real tragedy in what happened in Bozeman last week isn't that 2 drug dealers killed another drug dealer. The real tragedy (to MSU fans) is 2 of the Drug dealers involved MSU and MSU athletics. To tell the truth: MSU fans all cringe to think everytime they post a snide arrogant comment on the superiority of MSU they face the chance to have the facts of the drug dealing, gun toting, bobcats commented on.

:deletepost:
Best not to go there on any of this. Who's student athletes, ex- student athletes or current alums are more inclined to deviant behavior is dirt throwing. The more dirt you throw the less ground you have to stand on. That goes for both sides. No one, MSU or UM have any moral high ground to stand on. This thread is not healthy. Kill it. And let get back to FB smack talk and athletic jawing.

Catsrback76 said:
jagur1 said:

Best not to go there on any of this. Who's student athletes, ex- student athletes or current alums are more inclined to deviant behavior is dirt throwing. The more dirt you throw the less ground you have to stand on. That goes for both sides. No one, MSU or UM have any moral high ground to stand on. This thread is not healthy. Kill it. And let get back to FB smack talk and athletic jawing.

wrong place

We're having a chat about Barry and you Cats come on put a spin on it. Then you guys decide it's out of line because it's going in a direction you pointed it. Stay in your own boring chat room and it won't be a problem. The only thing wrong with this post is the Cats. Everything has to be smacked grow up.

Anyone who has met this group of kids knows that is not the case.

I think they do recruit a higher standard of character. (for the most part)

They are intense on the field (and yes, they play through the whistle as you should)...however, as citizens and people....my experience has been that they are a great goup of kids.

I attribute this to the Montana Tradition....and Bobby.

100%

Kramer? Well, his actions (or the cats actions) speak louder than any words that flow out of his mouth on his sickening/smiling interviews.

I'll take Bobby and this group of kids any day of the week.

Catsrback76 said:
jagur1 said:

That's the kittens biggest problem with taking on the THUGGISM, (ISU is no longer in the running) they actually have lied to themselves enough with 0-0 ties and an occasional "INSTATE" win, to think they are actually better than the Griz, with nothing better than a 7-4 season in 20 plus years and then they Go out and try to Prove themselves LIKE THIS! Does anyone REALLY believe the kitten recruiting practices will change?

RAPE MURDER & MAYHEM? Just beat the Griz no matter What!
Only the kitty fans can make the change, Or, do the think the COST is actually worth the win?

They aught to all be brought up on charges of a " HATE CRIMES" that's were envy gets ya!

I guess this is why I find myself NOT posting on our boards. I didn't really mean for the thread to degenerate into a discussion of which school is better. I live in Chicago and saw the article in the Trib and thought it was worth posting. I always figured that any news of Montana is interesting...Griz or Cat. And I can honestly say that outside of Griz/Cat you'll find me rooting for ALL Montana teams in general. UofM, MSU and Carroll College.

The festival that Barry was riding through wasn't just any festival. It was the Taste of Chicago. Which pretty much emcompasses the entire lakefront area and Grant Park. With a LOT of cops both in uniform and out of uniform.

I also wondered if it might affect the Alumni event that they have planned for next week. I recently received a mailing from the Alumni office about drinks downtown Chicago with Barry in attendance as well as the university bigwigs. I, unfortunately, won't be making the event (picking out our wedding flowers), but would be curious to hear how it goes.

Back