• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana HS Griz Connection Question

All time? Tough question. Current roster:

Bozeman High ///
Butte High //
Glacier //
Billings west //
Whitefish //
Billings Senior //
Missoula Loyola //
CMR //
Butte Central /
Big Fork /
Billings Central /
Culbertson /
Hardin /
Billings Skyview /
Corvallis /
Malta /
Helena Capital /
Miles City Custer /

I think one of the Billings schools would be the safe bet purely from a numbers standpoint but it would be interesting to see the alltime stat on this.

What about the Missoula AA schools? I know they aren't typically powerhouses (at least not recently), but the Griz have gotten some good talent from them over the years and I'm guessing they almost always have some Big Sky/Hellgate/Sentinel players on the roster. Thing is, I'm not sure if any one of those schools has produced a significant number of Griz.

Regardless, my guess would be Billings West.

Yes how could I forget the best one. Colt Anderson was butte high as was Lembke. Orizotti, Jonathan Richards, Aaschan Richards, and current kicker Danny People's are all Butte Central.

There was also a Connors from Butte who I believe was another Butte High kid.

My bet? It will end up being Hellgate (msla cnty high), Butte, Great Falls High or which ever high school was 1st in Billings. Historically most schools like West, CMR, Sentinel ect came along as the cities grew...

My guess is Hellgate or Butte primarily from decades ago....

There use to be a freshman team called the "cubs"....in the 50's and 60's it was filled with a lot of Missoula and Butte boys that went on to be Griz under Sherbeck

My 1st game I remember was the Cubs vs Carroll in the stadium that was up against the hill, right where the Mansfield Library now sits :thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
Yes how could I forget the best one. Colt Anderson was butte high as was Lembke. Orizotti, Jonathan Richards, Aaschan Richards, and current kicker Danny People's are all Butte Central.

There was also a Connors from Butte who I believe was another Butte High kid.

Lance Allen was another one from Butte

My guess would be its close between West, Hellgate, CMR and Butte High. Probably pretty close, but would be pretty hard to find out for sure.

On another note, whoever said the Griz should have kept Berg is off base. Berg left, he was told he would have a chance to be the quarterback at Montana Tech, but that never happened either. I'll say this, as bad as the kicking game for the Griz has been recently, I don't think Berg was the answer either. Last October, he missed two extra points and a game-tying 19-yard field goal against the Lights here in Havre, on what was about as perfect a kicking day as you'll ever get in this town. So far he is 4-6 this season though.

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
What about the Missoula AA schools? I know they aren't typically powerhouses (at least not recently), but the Griz have gotten some good talent from them over the years and I'm guessing they almost always have some Big Sky/Hellgate/Sentinel players on the roster. Thing is, I'm not sure if any one of those schools has produced a significant number of Griz.

Regardless, my guess would be Billings West.

2 of the last 3 Griz to go to the pros were from Missoula (one from Sentinel, one from Big Sky).

I did some research tonight looking at rosters through the past 10 years, and will post the results tomorrow.

Who's from Culbertson? Must be a pretty athletic dude I'm assuming to come from a small program. Walkon?

Cool town. Was there this last summer for a wedding.

Back