• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some not happy about Grizzlies Champions Center...

get'em_griz

DONOR
Read some of these comments... Really?

It's apparent that there are many out there who don't understand what "privately funded" means... :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/MissoulianNewspaper/posts/951287084978321

Wow. Well, perhaps they're right. I mean, after reading through the majority of those comments, there can be little doubt that additional education is needed in this country....

Really Funny/Stupid Stuff....
They are upset that individuals donated personal money toward a project they feel is important to the Student Athletes of the University of Montana.
If those same individuals feel so strongly that money should go to the arts, they should donate toward that regard and get a few projects started with their "private" funds.

The 2015 UM Impact Report.

$52.6 million dollars donated to the University of Montana Foundation, yet $14 million for a new athletics center is just "too much".

http://supportum.org/impactreport/2015/#/intro

Wow! Just amazes me how these pointy head intellectuals think. These are the people who want participation ribbons for kids efforts, without anointing a winner for their efforts. They think free education, food, housing and health care should be free but it's not ever free. The United States is being taken over by an intellectual class who believes in the redistribution of any wealth should be used for the common good of all.

"some not happy"

Those "some" are morons who didn't read or comprehend the article and just reacted to the headline.

BWahlberg said:
"some not happy"

Those "some" are morons who didn't read or comprehend the article and just reacted to the headline.

I wonder if they are just bandwagon haters that have no ties to UM.......of course they could all pay the piper and donate to academia.....

It's the same old predjudice by elitists who refuse to acknowledge athletics as a type of intelligence or accomplishment. Drama, music or any of the arts are the same. Talented, specialized people doing their thing for our enjoyment. It's just grinds the eggheads that maybe more citizens actively enjoy athletics than the other "acceptable" university departments. Perhaps if monetary contributions counted as votes of support...oh wait. They do :)

grizindabox said:
BWahlberg said:
"some not happy"

I wonder if they are just bandwagon haters that have no ties to UM.......of course they could all pay the piper and donate to academia.....
Yeah and not give one single cent to those stinking athletes. That'd show 'em... Total burn.

For those of you who live in & around, can you honestly say that you expected any less? It's Missoula, isn't it?

Richard Cranium said:
Wow! Just amazes me how these pointy head intellectuals think. These are the people who want participation ribbons for kids efforts, without anointing a winner for their efforts. They think free education, food, housing and health care should be free but it's not ever free. The United States is being taken over by an intellectual class who believes in the redistribution of any wealth should be used for the common good of all.

I agree, now if we could just get this ignoramuses to stop watching faux news and think for themselves....

BWahlberg said:
"some not happy"

I felt like we did some good trolling last night on that thread.

As a woman who works for an arts organization primarily focused on children . . . AND LOVES FOOTBALL . . . it baffles me how many people have so much misconception and hostility and believe the two "cultures" - for lack of a better descriptor - should be mutually exclusive. The extremists on either 'side" believe that those in the arts are snooty, liberal and elitist; and those who love football are nothing but stupid neanderthals who worship thug athletes and excuse/ignore all personal behavior in favor of the pursuit of excellence on the football field - or gladiator arena if you will. And then there are the reasonable people thank God.

Here is a major difference that I have experienced, however. I find myself defending my passion for football to my artsy friends far more often than I have to defend my belief in the importance of theatre arts to my football friends.

What does that tell you?

GO GRIZ!!

MsMaroon said:
As a woman who works for an arts organization primarily focused on children . . . AND LOVES FOOTBALL . . . it baffles me how many people have so much misconception and hostility and believe the two "cultures" - for lack of a better descriptor - should be mutually exclusive. The extremists on either 'side" believe that those in the arts are snooty, liberal and elitist; and those who love football are nothing but stupid neanderthals who worship thug athletes and excuse/ignore all personal behavior in favor of the pursuit of excellence on the football field - or gladiator arena if you will. And then there are the reasonable people thank God.

Here is a major difference that I have experienced, however. I find myself defending my passion for football to my artsy friends far more often than I have to defend my belief in the importance of theatre arts to my football friends.

What does that tell you?

GO GRIZ!!
Since you asked: "the arts are snooty, liberal and elitist"

The "cool" thing with people in missoula is to blame sports programs. I had this arguement with 10-15 people last week. Yet none of them knew how athletics funding/budgeting even works. There are griz fans in missoula then there are anti griz fans. Its funny but this university would not even be in the map if it was not for our athletic programs.

MsMaroon said:

What does that tell you?

GO GRIZ!!

You enjoy watching guys flit around in tights as much as guys in helmets and pads?

MsMaroon said:

What does that tell you?

GO GRIZ!!

It tells me that's how you injured your shoulder... :D

Whenever this conversation gets up I get to think where people think lines should be drawn. I have a history on this board of defending the institution over the team if it was necessary, so I consider myself at least somewhat objective on this.

If someone argues that we should not spend money on athletics for whatever their reason is, that is fine. My question is where does it stop? If the argument is that athletics is not an academic mission, how come the same thing doesn't apply to Dram performances, for instance?

You can make the same arguments that it really isn't a core skill for the future for most students? The state provides subsidies for it, athletics are probably more self sustaining on a per student basis than it...you could probably make the same argument for dance as well.

I am not saying eliminate those programs, but how come athletics has to play by a different set of rules? is it because they don't like athletics? The same arguments made to support those majors and those programs (lifelong skills that enrich their education, opportunities to exhibit skills that don't necessarily conform to a traditional education, opportunity to becomes a dance instructor or drama teacher down the road, community enrichment, and so on) could all be made for athletics as well. Many student athletes go on to become coaches as adults, largely due to the skills they learned while being a college athlete.

I just think when some of these people start bashing athletics, they should be careful because if the same regard athletics is held to in their eyes was applied to other programs at any academic institution, these same people would be shocked at what else would be eliminated from the school...

MsMaroon said:

What does that tell you?

GO GRIZ!!

Great post MsMaroon - very telling!

It continues to amaze me how certain folks on campus and in the Missoula community fail to understand how successful athletic programs are often the University's greatest prospective student and alumni outreach vehicle. The success of the University and its football program have moved in lockstep the last quarter decade, and it is no coincidence. When the football program has excelled, the University has excelled. When the football program has suffered these last few years, so has the University. The folks making illogical comments on fakebook cannot seem to connect the dots that are so apparent to others. Their kneejerk reactions are a shame. I for one am happy and proud to support the Champion's Center and Grizzly football because I know the benefit will extend well beyond the athletic department and its student-athletes. I believe it will be the vehicle largely responsible for saving the University and pulling it out of it's tailspin, while simultaneously serving as an economic driver for the greater Missoula community.

Go Griz!!

Back