• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WWYD??

GGNez said:
Obviously most people on here love to play Sunday morning Quarterback. Let's play Monday morning Head Coach. You're in charge. What do you do during the bye and beyond? Some players/teams have historically been motivated by a bad play or bad game. It's apparent that our young fellas are a little psyched out by it and one TO or bad play leads to more errors.

The team is yours. You have your work cut out for you over the next couple of weeks. You also personally want to avoid "For Sale" signs showing up in your yard. What's your plan?

Go.

Call the Kaimin and place an add doing a reverse Bull Durham asking all significant others to withhold affections in any week the team loses.

grizfan95 said:
uofmman1122 said:
This may seem stupid and counter-intuitive, but tell your WRs to maybe go down or out of bounds when they're about to get swarmed. We've had 3 or 4 fumbles this year where guys have been stood up and had the ball taken away from them or knocked out.

Not sure what's causing it. I don't remember any of these guys having fumble problems before the PSU game.

JLM giving the game away with a late fumble against Western Illinois would disagree with you.
That was, I believe, his first fumble that I can remember.

My point is that I don't remember any of the guys that have been giving the ball away having fumble problems at any point before this season.

Put Akem on an island every play and throw it up for grabs. Worst case scenario, it's basically a punt! And it doesn't give us a chance to fumble.

Or I dunno, triple option? Wildcat? Annexation of Puerto Rico?

Mousegriz said:
Have mandatory, all-team, all-night film watch parties in the Champions Center Friday and Saturday nights!

Friday nights? Wouldn’t they be asleep during game time? Or maybe they already are?

I'd tell all coaches and players to not read egriz, panic, over think, or knee jerk. We're good. Everyone get back to the basics , do your job, and prove it.

Take a few days off from football. Heal up, relax, study, maybe take in a movie with the guys. Just unwind, be a kid, have a little fun.

Get back to practice. Do the same shit you’ve been doing since you were 8. Play your ass off, have fun.

Finally, routinely check egriz for not just expert opinions, but also constant entertainment.

Walk into the team meeting room...put your nuts on the table..and ask everyone whos gonna let their nuts hangout for the next 4 weeks.

Than kick a door open on my way out the room...nuts still hanging out.

Ringneck said:
I start by having a meeting with my team captains and other on-the-field leaders. I remind them that when the team is facing adversity, the rest of the team will take their cues from them. I challenge them to raise the bar of expectations for themselves and their teammates. I remind them that putting on the Grizzlies uniform is a privilege, not a right, and that they chose to play at U of M because of, not in spite of, the high standards and expectations.

During practice I strategically introduce adversity into players' lives. I intentionally put them at disadvantages and make them work hard to come up with solutions to overcome those challenges. I make them take responsibility for problems so they also learn to take responsibility for solving them. I see how my on-field leaders respond, and look for other players who step up into a leadership role.

I then meet with my offensive coordinator and insist that we develop a week-by-week game plan that maximizes our on-field talent and minimizes our on-field weaknesses. We stop trying to make Dalton Sneed complete long passes down the field and start finding ways to get the ball out of his hand quickly. We call more designed QB runs. We add a few option plays to the playbook. We use Eastwood more as a pass catcher. We utilize the remarkable athleticism of our wide receivers and call on them to make big plays after the catch. We find ways to get JLM at least 8 offensive touches per game. We utilize TEs in the backfield as both run and pass blockers.

Then I meet with coach Chad Germer and tell him that unless the offensive line shows significant improvement over the next 4 weeks, he will be replaced after the season. He may have had a consistent presence on this staff for several years, but we've also had a below-average offensive for the last several years. We can't keep blaming it on youth. Our lineman need to develop at a faster pace.

I then meet with Gabe Sulser, thank him for his contributions to the team thus far, and then inform him he'll be redshirting the rest of the year because we need him to be the cornerstone and face of the program over the next four years.

Finally, I find ways to get more of the two- and three-deep players and even some true freshmen into the games over the next four weeks. I need to take advantage of the new redshirt rules to see what sort of talent I've got waiting in the wings. I want to see what players like Milton Mamula, Michael McGinnis, Nick Fouch, Drew Turner, and Lorenzo Brown can do.

In short, I concede that we are not good this season, and I begin positioning our team to compete in the immediate future.

Sulser has already played in 5 games...too late to redshirt.

Lets not get our panties in a wad. Backup quarterbacks always look great in either Mop up jobs, or fourth quarter play when the party ended at half time. Sneed is the Man and i am happy to see Humphrey have some success.

Silenoz said:
Put Akem on an island every play and throw it up for grabs. Worst case scenario, it's basically a punt! And it doesn't give us a chance to fumble.

Or I dunno, triple option? Wildcat? Annexation of Puerto Rico?

All good ideas, Oz. :lol:

Move Longoria back to dline. Not using him on offense anyway, and could rotate him in at DT so you have fresher players. That dline isn't dominating anyone....partly due to being gassed being on the field so much. A gassed big guy is hard to get back to 100% once the oxygen deficit sets in. They need breaks or are easy pickings late in game.

Get Stoner on the field at RT more.

Rest Dante, he needs it more than any practice time right now.

Get Cam more reps in practice and be ready to play him if Sneed struggles or can't run (he has been non existent in designed run game for a couple weeks (injured?).

Throw away tricky play page in playbook. Run game has improved some so start using it more (include some FB/TE more).

If your going to run the jet/fly sweep, swallow pride and use Stitt technique so it is incomplete pass of bobbled and not a fumble like bit them earlier on.

If you lose 1 more game, start playing the guys more that you think will be around and needed next year to get them game experience.

Try Simms a little more at DE.

Start figuring out how to shut down Troy Anderson!!!!!!

Recruit the hell out of JC's for CB and OL.

1-Start Humphrey. Sneed's offense has NOT SCORED in 5 of the last 8 quarters. Also, he's thrown too many pics & had too many fumbles. Remember when Bobby used to pull a QB when he'd either throw a pic or fumble? He'd oftern put in the backup on the next series. I realize Humphrey came in the 4th quarter against maybe the 2nd & 3rd stringers, but his first pass was a TD, his 1st of 2 TD passes. He had good poise in the pocket & was accurate with his passes - something Sneed isn't, especially on the long balls. Humphrey with his limited playing time has got to be in better physical condition since he hasn't been getting hammered every game like Sneed has.

2-Start Jeremy Calhoun. Give him at least the full 1st quarter to see what he does before putting Eastwood in. Eastwood also has to be somewhat banged up & the week off will help, but Calhoun has proved what he can do in past years. No reason he can't he that good or better for the remainder of this year.

3-Tell the defenders when it's 3rd down if they have a chance to make a tackle short of 1st down yardage, not to try to strip the ball & miss the tackle in order to cause a fumble. In the UND game, they gave up a few 1st downs trying to strip the ball. A punt get them off the field, a missed strip keeps them on the field & possibly give up points.

4-Have dancers from the Fox Club perform at the end of halftime so ensure we have a full house for the start of the 3rd quarter.

5-Give out free beer & free flasks of Fireball in the concession stands at the end of halftime, but only until the 3rd quarter starts.

greasewood said:
1-Start Humphrey. Sneed's offense has NOT SCORED in 5 of the last 8 quarters. Also, he's thrown too many pics & had too many fumbles. Remember when Bobby used to pull a QB when he'd either throw a pic or fumble? He'd oftern put in the backup on the next series. I realize Humphrey came in the 4th quarter against maybe the 2nd & 3rd stringers, but his first pass was a TD, his 1st of 2 TD passes. He had good poise in the pocket & was accurate with his passes - something Sneed isn't, especially on the long balls. Humphrey with his limited playing time has got to be in better physical condition since he hasn't been getting hammered every game like Sneed has.

2-Start Jeremy Calhoun. Give him at least the full 1st quarter to see what he does before putting Eastwood in. Eastwood also has to be somewhat banged up & the week off will help, but Calhoun has proved what he can do in past years. No reason he can't he that good or better for the remainder of this year.

3-Tell the defenders when it's 3rd down if they have a chance to make a tackle short of 1st down yardage, not to try to strip the ball & miss the tackle in order to cause a fumble. In the UND game, they gave up a few 1st downs trying to strip the ball. A punt get them off the field, a missed strip keeps them on the field & possibly give up points.

4-Have dancers from the Fox Club perform at the end of halftime so ensure we have a full house for the start of the 3rd quarter.

5-Give out free beer & free flasks of Fireball in the concession stands at the end of halftime, but only until the 3rd quarter starts.

All good ideas but number 5 is purely genius!

Ursus1 said:
Move Longoria back to dline. Not using him on offense anyway, and could rotate him in at DT so you have fresher players. That dline isn't dominating anyone....partly due to being gassed being on the field so much. A gassed big guy is hard to get back to 100% once the oxygen deficit sets in. They need breaks or are easy pickings late in game.

Get Stoner on the field at RT more.

Rest Dante, he needs it more than any practice time right now.

Get Cam more reps in practice and be ready to play him if Sneed struggles or can't run (he has been non existent in designed run game for a couple weeks (injured?).

Throw away tricky play page in playbook. Run game has improved some so start using it more (include some FB/TE more).

If your going to run the jet/fly sweep, swallow pride and use Stitt technique so it is incomplete pass of bobbled and not a fumble like bit them earlier on.

If you lose 1 more game, start playing the guys more that you think will be around and needed next year to get them game experience.

Try Simms a little more at DE.

Start figuring out how to shut down Troy Anderson!!!!!!

Recruit the hell out of JC's for CB and OL.

Great list. Especially the Longoria move (which enables the Sims move)...

Bring in all these experts that know so much about football and coaching every day at 5:30 AM and let them provide all their input until 8 PM at night. Have each one of them break down film and provide input on each play and each package the other team is in Do that for two weeks and we're sure to be unbeatable !!!!

greasewood said:

I agree Greasewood. I don't care who was defending, Humphrey threw accurately downfield. Sneed hasn't always had his WR's help him out, but he has missed several wide open receivers. We all know how loyal Nick Saban was to his QB last year in the National Championship game. He didn't hesitate to go to the backup when the game was on the line and they are now National Champions. They have 2 weeks to prepare. Humphrey should be given as much time with the #1 offense as Sneed.

zengriz said:
...the way gg presented this thread...
...assume she will summarize it thoroughly...
...prepare and present to hauck for his personal...

... :D ...

Very intuitive, Zen. Sitting here with Bobby and staff now cutting and pasting a solid plan together.... ;)

Back