• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky/ FCS Football today

uofmman1122 said:
Paytonlives said:
Just saw the worst call I've ever seen. S Utah QB is getting hit as he threw. Ball went backwards, NAU recovered. 5 yards and the refs ruled that his hand was coming forward. This cannot be right and the ball never went forward at all.
Nothing will ever top the kickoff “safety” from 2010.

Nope. Hands down the most ridiculous call ever, certainly at Wa/Griz.

Down goes Eastern! I know Aaron Best wasn’t there today (out with COVID), but I think it’s time for them to move in from him. A Beau Baldwin coached team would’ve never lost this game. They did get hosed on the FG but it wouldn’t have mattered cause they still would’ve needed a TD.

Griz til I die said:
Down goes Eastern! I know Aaron Best wasn’t there today (out with COVID), but I think it’s time for them to move in from him. A Beau Baldwin coached team would’ve never lost this game. They did get hosed on the FG but it wouldn’t have mattered cause they still would’ve needed a TD.

EWU was without their top 2 receivers and it showed. Idaho WR's made plays and EWU receivers did nada.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

EWU was without their top 2 receivers and it showed. Idaho WR's made plays and EWU receivers did nada.
I wasn’t aware they were without their top 2 WR’s. That could’ve been the difference.

Even watching the game on Pluto, the officiating was so bad vs EWU, that the Idaho announcers said Eastern got screwed by the BSC REFS. They didn’t even count a FG THAT was good cause one ref was too busy adjusting his mask, then they called a 1st down when he was clearly short . This affected the outcome of the game.And there was no replay on that 1st down call AFTER EWU CALLED a timeout. Just pathetic

tourist said:
:shock: Only one question, where do they get these people???

Remember this game? I really like that line by Zornes. The officiating in this conference has been terrible for many years, according to some.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/controversial-1986-finish-helped-kickstart-montana-eastern-washington-rivalry/article_060ddd69-caec-5927-b05c-5522aef79e75.amp.html

The BSC has had 35 years to fix the problem, yet...in the EWU-UI game the ref under the right upright, wasn't even there and looking toward the ground level camera, and adjusting his face mask during the kick, and called it wide w/o even looking. Just ONE example from the game. :roll:
A whore on a Saturday night...priceless.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
Remind me what happened. I guess I don’t really removed that.
Peter Nguyen catches the kickoff in the endzone, his momentum carries him out the back with the ball, and despite never entering the field of play, the refs award NAU 2 points and a safety.

The stadium was unhinged for about 5 minutes.

At 2:52 in the link below if the time doesn't work:
https://youtu.be/0tnKNeltGhg?t=172

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:

NAU kicks the ball into the end zone on a kickoff. Our guy catches the ball deep in the end zone and his momentum took him out the back of the end zone for a touchback. Ref called a safety and it almost cost us the game.

uofmman1122 said:
Griz til I die said:
Peter Nguyen catches the kickoff in the endzone, his momentum carries him out the back with the ball, and despite never entering the field of play, the refs award NAU 2 points and a safety.

Oh I do remember that now. The stadium blew a gasket over it. Good come from behind win though.

Griz til I die said:
uofmman1122 said:

Oh I do remember that now. The stadium blew a gasket over it. Good come from behind win though.
I don't remember seeing Pflugrad angrier before or since than he was right after that.

If nothing else, it gave us Atkins spectacular catch. Honestly one of the loudest moments I can remember in Wa-Griz.

uofmman1122 said:

Kind of off-topic, but another weird call to me is at the 3:15 mark of that video (assuming the refs made the right call according to the rule book). If Andrew Badger had blocked the punt out of the back of the endzone, it would've been a safety, isn't that right? So, just because the punter was last to touch it, it was ruled a touchback? Difference of 2 free points and possession (of a punt shortened field) versus just possession at the opponents' 20 or wherever.

DoubleNicks said:
uofmman1122 said:

Kind of off-topic, but another weird call to me is at the 3:15 mark of that video (assuming the refs made the right call according to the rule book). If Andrew Badger had blocked the punt out of the back of the endzone, it would've been a safety, isn't that right? So, just because the punter was last to touch it, it was ruled a touchback? Difference of 2 free points and possession (of a punt shortened field) versus just possession at the opponents' 20 or wherever.
I'm not an expert but I think this second one should have been a safety where the first one should not. In Nguyen's case the ball was never in play. It isn't a live ball unless he fumbles it or brings it out of the endzone. In Badger's case, I would think it is a safety because the impetus of the ball going into the endzone is what determines the play. In this case it is the offensive team (the punter) who provided it; ruling safety.

I'd say BSC refs were 0-2 on these ones. Tough day at the office.

Back