• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeAri Todd-Transfer possibility from Michigan State

reinell30 said:
kemajic said:
We need not spend a lot of energy on this until he accepts our offer. If you're questioning whether the kid can play at this level, then you're questioning the coaching that made the offer, because scholies are scarce and they think he's a fit and can play.

I am not questioning nothing or no one. I am asking how good can this kid be? I am not a coach. I am not a person who rates talent, I am only a fan who enjoys football and one who enjoys it more when the quality of play of the players is really good.
There are plenty of people on here who judge how players coming out of high school or where ever play the game.

You are questioning and there’s nothing wrong with that. No reason to be defensive :) . No one knows how good he is in live games at the collegiate level since he’s never played a down. We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.

alabamagrizzly said:
We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.
Actually, the Montana coaches think he's good enough to come in for two years and compete, since he has two years of eligibility remaining and wants to pursue a graduate degree.

It remains to be seen whether Montana will be his choice as it appears this is not the only program that believes he can compete.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.
Actually, the Montana coaches think he's good enough to come in for two years and compete, since he has two years of eligibility remaining and wants to pursue a graduate degree.

It remains to be seen whether Montana will be his choice as it appears this is not the only program that believes he can compete.

Yup, my bad, I forgot about the extra covid year. And yes, there probably are other schools that think he can compete but, for him, there’s only two choices, a correct choice and a wrong choice and we all know what the correct choice is :D.

Copper Griz said:
PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.

I have to disagree with much of this post. I can speak for my class and the ones I know about the time I graduated from PT school. 95 percent of my class were Montana kids. The class before and after mine were in the 80 percent range of Montana kids. But so what? Out of state kids pay higher tuition which is good for the university is it not? Many graduates both in state and out of state students stay in the state and work at hospitals and clinics large and small and contribute to our state economy. Many like myself become life long supporters and donors to both the athletic and academic programs on campus. 80 to 90k in Montana will put you firmly in the upper middle class in this state. I worked for many places before I became my own boss. I currently employ 5 people and I am adding 2 more in the next 3-6 months. I think that is an excellent return to the state and the university as well as the individuals I employ as a result of this program.

grizatwork said:
Copper Griz said:
PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.

I have to disagree with much of this post. I can speak for my class and the ones I know about the time I graduated from PT school. 95 percent of my class were Montana kids. The class before and after mine were in the 80 percent range of Montana kids. But so what? Out of state kids pay higher tuition which is good for the university is it not? Many graduates both in state and out of state students stay in the state and work at hospitals and clinics large and small and contribute to our state economy. Many like myself become life long supporters and donors to both the athletic and academic programs on campus. 80 to 90k in Montana will put you firmly in the upper middle class in this state. I worked for many places before I became my own boss. I currently employ 5 people and I am adding 2 more in the next 3-6 months. I think that is an excellent return to the state and the university as well as the individuals I employ as a result of this program.

Good to see you again grizatwork!

grizatwork said:
Copper Griz said:

May even be able to buy a starter home in Bozo! :shock:

Thanks for your fact filled, based on actual experience, rebuttal! And thanks for all you do to help our state's economy as a contributing member of society!

reinell30 said:
This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?

How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.

Art Spooner said:
reinell30 said:
This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?

How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.

Great point. Sterk I don’t think really had any playing time coming in.

It’s a great pick up. First, if nothing else at 6’3” 265 he fills in that rotation spot vacated by Deming. Second, he may come in and show even more. His first step looks real good on his HS tape. You’re not on Michigan State’s roster which typically a very good to good team in the Big Ten if you can’t play.

Art Spooner said:
reinell30 said:

Now that we are re-visiting this, I am assuming he is coming to UM? If so, my question will be answered by him soon enough...

if the pt program gets that many applicants, i'm wondering why it isn't being expanded? i'm sure not all the applicants meet the qualifications, but if even 1/4 do, and maybe half of those accept the offer, that would be 50 students. if the number of students was expanded to 50, you might have to hire another faculty member or two, but surely you could make it a profitable endeavor. seems like a no-brainer, but of course i don't have all the information. certainly, with the huge drop in enrollment, there should be space already on campus available for expansion.

Art Spooner said:
reinell30 said:

Not to mention it's a weird argument anyway. We get excited every spring for high school commits that are going to be the next big thing. Kids that haven't stepped foot on a campus yet! But if a kid doesn't get a ton of PT for a Power5 school suddenly we're worried?

Obviously dropping down a level can't guarantee success, but there is always room for optimism when our league gets these kids from power conferences.

ilovethecats said:
Art Spooner said:

Not to mention it's a weird argument anyway. We get excited every spring for high school commits that are going to be the next big thing. Kids that haven't stepped foot on a campus yet! But if a kid doesn't get a ton of PT for a Power5 school suddenly we're worried?

Obviously dropping down a level can't guarantee success, but there is always room for optimism when our league gets these kids from power conferences.

Exactly, there have been plenty of drop downs that haven't been a success at this level. In theory, they should be good, but it just isn't always true. I think too many of us expect so much because they are a drop down, I don't know?

Here's to a very successful couple of years at UM Mr. Todd and welcome to Griz Nation!

reinell30 said:
ilovethecats said:

Exactly, there have been plenty of drop downs that haven't been a success at this level. In theory, they should be good, but it just isn't always true. I think too many of us expect so much because they are a drop down, I don't know?

Here's to a very successful couple of years at UM Mr. Todd and welcome to Griz Nation!
The dropdowns that have been successful outnumber those that were unsuccessful.

DeAri is an intelligent young man with lots of strength in the academic world. He worked through some personal issues while at MSU and that really slowed his progress. I think our staff needs to support him, challenge him, welcome him, and inspire him. He has the potential to be a force, but needs lots of Griz love. I hope he does well. He has overcome lots of things that might take some of us completely out. Keep an eye on him as we move through the year. He may end up and real fine addition or he may just float into nothingness.

Back