DeAri Todd-Transfer possibility from Michigan State

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
alabamagrizzly
Posts: 4387
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

reinell30 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 am
kemajic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:42 am
We need not spend a lot of energy on this until he accepts our offer. If you're questioning whether the kid can play at this level, then you're questioning the coaching that made the offer, because scholies are scarce and they think he's a fit and can play.
I am not questioning nothing or no one. I am asking how good can this kid be? I am not a coach. I am not a person who rates talent, I am only a fan who enjoys football and one who enjoys it more when the quality of play of the players is really good.
There are plenty of people on here who judge how players coming out of high school or where ever play the game.
You are questioning and there’s nothing wrong with that. No reason to be defensive :) . No one knows how good he is in live games at the collegiate level since he’s never played a down. We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13589
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

alabamagrizzly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 am We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.
Actually, the Montana coaches think he's good enough to come in for two years and compete, since he has two years of eligibility remaining and wants to pursue a graduate degree.

It remains to be seen whether Montana will be his choice as it appears this is not the only program that believes he can compete.
God knows when I'm good, I'm good and when I'm good, it's seldom - Aaron Watson
alabamagrizzly
Posts: 4387
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

kemajic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 pm
alabamagrizzly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 am We do know he was good enough to get a scholarship to Michigan St and hold onto it for four years and we do know that one of the Montana coaches thinks he’s good enough to come in for one year and compete. We also know we’ve recently lost a one time starting DE to the transfer portal and that depth may start to be a concern. Other then that, we’re left with questions. No harm in questioning.
Actually, the Montana coaches think he's good enough to come in for two years and compete, since he has two years of eligibility remaining and wants to pursue a graduate degree.

It remains to be seen whether Montana will be his choice as it appears this is not the only program that believes he can compete.
Yup, my bad, I forgot about the extra covid year. And yes, there probably are other schools that think he can compete but, for him, there’s only two choices, a correct choice and a wrong choice and we all know what the correct choice is :D.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
User avatar
grizatwork
eGriz Club
Posts: 3713
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: NorthCentral Montana

Copper Griz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.
I have to disagree with much of this post. I can speak for my class and the ones I know about the time I graduated from PT school. 95 percent of my class were Montana kids. The class before and after mine were in the 80 percent range of Montana kids. But so what? Out of state kids pay higher tuition which is good for the university is it not? Many graduates both in state and out of state students stay in the state and work at hospitals and clinics large and small and contribute to our state economy. Many like myself become life long supporters and donors to both the athletic and academic programs on campus. 80 to 90k in Montana will put you firmly in the upper middle class in this state. I worked for many places before I became my own boss. I currently employ 5 people and I am adding 2 more in the next 3-6 months. I think that is an excellent return to the state and the university as well as the individuals I employ as a result of this program.
reinell30
eGriz Club
Posts: 4028
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am
Location: Great Falls Mt

grizatwork wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 pm
Copper Griz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.
I have to disagree with much of this post. I can speak for my class and the ones I know about the time I graduated from PT school. 95 percent of my class were Montana kids. The class before and after mine were in the 80 percent range of Montana kids. But so what? Out of state kids pay higher tuition which is good for the university is it not? Many graduates both in state and out of state students stay in the state and work at hospitals and clinics large and small and contribute to our state economy. Many like myself become life long supporters and donors to both the athletic and academic programs on campus. 80 to 90k in Montana will put you firmly in the upper middle class in this state. I worked for many places before I became my own boss. I currently employ 5 people and I am adding 2 more in the next 3-6 months. I think that is an excellent return to the state and the university as well as the individuals I employ as a result of this program.
Good to see you again grizatwork!
MikeyGriz
Posts: 1808
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:35 am
Location: Billings, MT

grizatwork wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 pm
Copper Griz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.
I have to disagree with much of this post. I can speak for my class and the ones I know about the time I graduated from PT school. 95 percent of my class were Montana kids. The class before and after mine were in the 80 percent range of Montana kids. But so what? Out of state kids pay higher tuition which is good for the university is it not? Many graduates both in state and out of state students stay in the state and work at hospitals and clinics large and small and contribute to our state economy. Many like myself become life long supporters and donors to both the athletic and academic programs on campus. 80 to 90k in Montana will put you firmly in the upper middle class in this state. I worked for many places before I became my own boss. I currently employ 5 people and I am adding 2 more in the next 3-6 months. I think that is an excellent return to the state and the university as well as the individuals I employ as a result of this program.
May even be able to buy a starter home in Bozo! :shock:

Thanks for your fact filled, based on actual experience, rebuttal! And thanks for all you do to help our state's economy as a contributing member of society!
I don't watch CNN for the same reason I don't drink out of the toilet bowl!
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 8454
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Really excited about this kid. Size, speed, former 3 star, FBS drop down. He will do well here.
Art Spooner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm

reinell30 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?
How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.
dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 2310
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Art Spooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 pm
reinell30 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?
How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.
Great point. Sterk I don’t think really had any playing time coming in.

It’s a great pick up. First, if nothing else at 6’3” 265 he fills in that rotation spot vacated by Deming. Second, he may come in and show even more. His first step looks real good on his HS tape. You’re not on Michigan State’s roster which typically a very good to good team in the Big Ten if you can’t play.
User avatar
Dillon
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Welcome to Griz Nation Mr. Todd & family!
reinell30
eGriz Club
Posts: 4028
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am
Location: Great Falls Mt

Art Spooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 pm
reinell30 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?
How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.
Now that we are re-visiting this, I am assuming he is coming to UM? If so, my question will be answered by him soon enough...
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8411
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

if the pt program gets that many applicants, i'm wondering why it isn't being expanded? i'm sure not all the applicants meet the qualifications, but if even 1/4 do, and maybe half of those accept the offer, that would be 50 students. if the number of students was expanded to 50, you might have to hire another faculty member or two, but surely you could make it a profitable endeavor. seems like a no-brainer, but of course i don't have all the information. certainly, with the huge drop in enrollment, there should be space already on campus available for expansion.
ilovethecats
Posts: 5462
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Art Spooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 pm
reinell30 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?
How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.
Not to mention it's a weird argument anyway. We get excited every spring for high school commits that are going to be the next big thing. Kids that haven't stepped foot on a campus yet! But if a kid doesn't get a ton of PT for a Power5 school suddenly we're worried?

Obviously dropping down a level can't guarantee success, but there is always room for optimism when our league gets these kids from power conferences.
reinell30
eGriz Club
Posts: 4028
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am
Location: Great Falls Mt

ilovethecats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm
Art Spooner wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 pm

How much playing time had Bryce Sterk had at UW before he transferred to the bobs and got a real chance? Worked out pretty good for him and the Cats. PAC 12 and Big 10 upper echelon team’s have good players that sometimes get buried in depth charts.
Not to mention it's a weird argument anyway. We get excited every spring for high school commits that are going to be the next big thing. Kids that haven't stepped foot on a campus yet! But if a kid doesn't get a ton of PT for a Power5 school suddenly we're worried?

Obviously dropping down a level can't guarantee success, but there is always room for optimism when our league gets these kids from power conferences.
Exactly, there have been plenty of drop downs that haven't been a success at this level. In theory, they should be good, but it just isn't always true. I think too many of us expect so much because they are a drop down, I don't know?

Here's to a very successful couple of years at UM Mr. Todd and welcome to Griz Nation!
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13589
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

reinell30 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:50 pm
ilovethecats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Not to mention it's a weird argument anyway. We get excited every spring for high school commits that are going to be the next big thing. Kids that haven't stepped foot on a campus yet! But if a kid doesn't get a ton of PT for a Power5 school suddenly we're worried?

Obviously dropping down a level can't guarantee success, but there is always room for optimism when our league gets these kids from power conferences.
Exactly, there have been plenty of drop downs that haven't been a success at this level. In theory, they should be good, but it just isn't always true. I think too many of us expect so much because they are a drop down, I don't know?

Here's to a very successful couple of years at UM Mr. Todd and welcome to Griz Nation!
The dropdowns that have been successful outnumber those that were unsuccessful.
God knows when I'm good, I'm good and when I'm good, it's seldom - Aaron Watson
GrizSpartan
eGriz Club
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:29 pm
Location: Missoula

DeAri is an intelligent young man with lots of strength in the academic world. He worked through some personal issues while at MSU and that really slowed his progress. I think our staff needs to support him, challenge him, welcome him, and inspire him. He has the potential to be a force, but needs lots of Griz love. I hope he does well. He has overcome lots of things that might take some of us completely out. Keep an eye on him as we move through the year. He may end up and real fine addition or he may just float into nothingness.
Michigan State football made me a fan. Montana football gives us Champions!!
Post Reply