• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

argh! said:
Ursa Major said:
If anyone is interested in a great documentary on China, Frontline is re-airing China Undercover tonight. It explores the PRC treatment of the Uyghur people. The documentary won a Peabody Award. I always thought that dog knew his shit.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/china-undercover/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tunein_repeat&utm_content=chinaundercover_061521

good video. vice news, of all outlets, did a good half-hour documentary on the same subject. they made their way pretty far into xinjiang, and recorded a lot of the rotten stuff the ccp is doing to 'sinacize' xinjiang, i.e. get rid of most of the uyghur people and replace them with han, or at least uyghurs who act like han, i.e. at least pretend to worship the ccp and xi, who has his pictures plastered in mosques, etc, i guess in an attempt to deify himself. it is the same thing mao did.

Agreed. Very interesting video. Speaking of Vice, I caught a bit more light-hearted segment a few years ago about dating in China. They had these huge gatherings/fairs where 5s would have like 20+ guys "applying and interviewing" to date them. The parents made most of the decisions. Apparently, there weren't enough women so the ones who were still single were in very high demand. Did you ever see anything like that, or was it just for the dramatic effect?

EDIT: I found a 5 minute short version of the segment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZM2rMZDY6Q

argh! said:
Ursa Major said:
If anyone is interested in a great documentary on China, Frontline is re-airing China Undercover tonight. It explores the PRC treatment of the Uyghur people. The documentary won a Peabody Award. I always thought that dog knew his shit.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/china-undercover/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tunein_repeat&utm_content=chinaundercover_061521

good video. vice news, of all outlets, did a good half-hour documentary on the same subject. they made their way pretty far into xinjiang, and recorded a lot of the rotten stuff the ccp is doing to 'sinacize' xinjiang, i.e. get rid of most of the uyghur people and replace them with han, or at least uyghurs who act like han, i.e. at least pretend to worship the ccp and xi, who has his pictures plastered in mosques, etc, i guess in an attempt to deify himself. it is the same thing mao did.

Stalin did the same displacement with Ukrainians, Georgians and other ethnic groups. With the much later capture of the Crimea, it sure seems like a winning strategy.

I was blown away by the staggering use of technology (e.g. cameras) the Chinese use to subjugate Uyghurs.

Ceaușescu reportedly had every phone in Romania bugged. In retrospect, he looks like a clumsy schoolboy compared to the Chinese.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:

Agreed. Very interesting video. Speaking of Vice, I caught a bit more light-hearted segment a few years ago about dating in China. They had these huge gatherings/fairs where 5s would have like 20+ guys "applying and interviewing" to date them. The parents made most of the decisions. Apparently, there weren't enough women so the ones who were still single were in very high demand. Did you ever see anything like that, or was it just for the dramatic effect?

EDIT: I found a 5 minute short version of the segment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZM2rMZDY6Q

17 views, but it seemed pretty well done.being a 'foreigner' there has benefits and drawbacks, but the philosophical basis of either is twisted. fear and/or fascination with the 'foreigner; is still the most common response when the average chinese person meets someone from america in person.

argh! said:
hunt-ducks said:
Since you love to throw my name around, we'll wait for you to post your real name on here. But we also know that you never will, since your estrogen levels are running a bit high. Keyboard monkey.

holey jezuss, i didn't realize it was sunshine. i'm obviously slippin'. c'mon sunny, just take note, and use, your notoriety on egriz as an honor. many try, but so few succeed at being known by name on the very popular news site, egriz. it would be an encroachment on your exceptionalism if ursa publicized its name.

Oh, we all know he will never publish his. His sphincter is too loose from eating at in-n-out, and his nads are so shrived from his pre-assignment drugs.

Yes, argie, there are many pretenders and wannabees, but none live up to the legend.

hunt-ducks said:
argh! said:
holey jezuss, i didn't realize it was sunshine. i'm obviously slippin'. c'mon sunny, just take note, and use, your notoriety on egriz as an honor. many try, but so few succeed at being known by name on the very popular news site, egriz. it would be an encroachment on your exceptionalism if ursa publicized its name.

Oh, we all know he will never publish his. His sphincter is too loose from eating at in-n-out, and his nads are so shrived from his pre-assignment drugs.

Yes, argie, there are many pretenders and wannabees, but none live up to the legend.

Over-served again? I bet the day-drinking regulars at the Mo Club are sure happy you’re back in town. Afternoons spent boring the masses.

Ursa Major said:
hunt-ducks said:

Over-served again? I bet the day-drinking regulars at the Mo Club are sure happy you’re back in town. Afternoons spent boring the masses.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

17 views, but it seemed pretty well done.being a 'foreigner' there has benefits and drawbacks, but the philosophical basis of either is twisted. fear and/or fascination with the 'foreigner; is still the most common response when the average chinese person meets someone from america in person.

Yeah, I couldn't easily find the long edit because they've done so many China pieces. Seemed very odd. People can (and do, which is the point) say what they want about where we live, but at least it isn't like that.

hunt-ducks said:

Coward. Another lame deflection. Your name again???

Why on Earth would anyone share their name with you when you’ve threatened so many and are still allowed to post here in 2021? Get over it, man. Find a new slant. Done with you. Say whatever you want.

a friend just posted a picture of the line she is in to get vaccinated, in chengdu. it looks about a mile long. the government mandated everybody go and get one of the crappy chinese vaccines, i guess so they'll look good to the world for their crummy olympics on fake snow. of course, they are threatening anyone who says they won't go, so the 'look good' part is only for show, to keep drumming up their nationalism. i suspect there have been deaths from the sinovac jab, in particular, but nobody will ever hear about it. anyway, glad i got a good vaccine, and no line...

There is no medical reason for children or anyone under 35 that does not have at least 2 underlying conditions to get the vaccine. In fact, because infection symptoms are extremely mild or non-existent, those in these age groups should want to become infected to create whatever antibodies their bodies can at this time, so the next 20 rounds of variants over the decades don't affect them or as harshly, and they have immunity potential into their vulnerable years or if they do develop underlying risk conditions.

It is reasonable to assume these vaccines will be like so many, with as of yet unknown side effects. I can fully understand why many people are reluctant to get the vaccines, especially for their children. We know the vaccines are effective against the virus, but do we know whether children vaccinated between 6-18 will have nervous system or fertility problems in their 20's and 30's? We don't. I'm not an anti-vaxxer or Jenny McCarthy subscriber, but I do think the cartoon of two mice, discussing waiting to get the vaccine while it is trialed for safety on humans makes the perfect point.

Once those who are at higher risk of serious complication from covid are vaccinated and those who want to take the vaccine risks without knowing what they are have been vaccinated, the vaccination push should be over. After those the medical reasons for vaccination vanish. Call me a skeptic, but does anybody else see a similarity of action to previous times when the fed gov has way over bought a commodity supply? Is the push really a desire to unload that which can't be returned for a complete refund? Looks like waste is still Uncle Sam's middle name.

horribilisfan8184 said:
There is no medical reason for children or anyone under 35 that does not have at least 2 underlying conditions to get the vaccine. In fact, because infection symptoms are extremely mild or non-existent, those in these age groups should want to become infected to create whatever antibodies their bodies can at this time, so the next 20 rounds of variants over the decades don't affect them or as harshly, and they have immunity potential into their vulnerable years or if they do develop underlying risk conditions.

It is reasonable to assume these vaccines will be like so many, with as of yet unknown side effects. I can fully understand why many people are reluctant to get the vaccines, especially for their children. We know the vaccines are effective against the virus, but do we know whether children vaccinated between 6-18 will have nervous system or fertility problems in their 20's and 30's? We don't. I'm not an anti-vaxxer or Jenny McCarthy subscriber, but I do think the cartoon of two mice, discussing waiting to get the vaccine while it is trialed for safety on humans makes the perfect point.

Once those who are at higher risk of serious complication from covid are vaccinated and those who want to take the vaccine risks without knowing what they are have been vaccinated, the vaccination push should be over. After those the medical reasons for vaccination vanish. Call me a skeptic, but does anybody else see a similarity of action to previous times when the fed gov has way over bought a commodity supply? Is the push really a desire to unload that which can't be returned for a complete refund? Looks like waste is still Uncle Sam's middle name.

This is such a quality post.

I'm reminded of the conversations that have taken place over the last year in regards to the virus. Guys like me were accused of downplaying the virus. Even suggesting I didn't think it was "real", despite me never saying such a thing. When I pointed out the stats of the virus, and that it really wasn't a threat to younger, healthier people; I was shot down. I was told that despite what the stats are, we have no way of knowing the long term effects of the virus. I'm a walking example of this as I still have breathing issues today after being infected in early November. We have no idea the long term effects of the virus.

Fast forward to the push of the vaccine. If you dare say anything against getting it, people are quick to point out the stats of how effective it is against the virus. And it is. And I have been vaccinated. But do we now suddenly disregard the facts that we have ZERO clue of what the long term effects could be from the vaccine? Or like everything Coronavirus related to we just disregard this?

I still haven't heard one legitimate example of why we should fear the potential long-term health issues of the virus itself, but not even ask questions about potential long term health issues from the vaccine. :?

ilovethecats said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

I'm reminded of the conversations that have taken place over the last year in regards to the virus. Guys like me were accused of downplaying the virus. Even suggesting I didn't think it was "real", despite me never saying such a thing. When I pointed out the stats of the virus, and that it really wasn't a threat to younger, healthier people; I was shot down. I was told that despite what the stats are, we have no way of knowing the long term effects of the virus. I'm a walking example of this as I still have breathing issues today after being infected in early November. We have no idea the long term effects of the virus.

Fast forward to the push of the vaccine. If you dare say anything against getting it, people are quick to point out the stats of how effective it is against the virus. And it is. And I have been vaccinated. But do we now suddenly disregard the facts that we have ZERO clue of what the long term effects could be from the vaccine? Or like everything Coronavirus related to we just disregard this?

I still haven't heard one legitimate example of why we should fear the potential long-term health issues of the virus itself, but not even ask questions about potential long term health issues from the vaccine. :?

first, i don't care whether people get vaccinated or not, if they don't want to do so, that is their problem. also, i'm a scientist and not a clinician, and regarding the vaccines and how the government is operating, my biggest complaints are that people who have covid aren't treated the same as vaccinated people when it comes to visiting the vulnerable, etc... but, there are a lot of articles popping up about long term covid effects, mostly the usual populations, but also in young people. it is hard to confirm or deny them. as for the long term effects of the vaccines themselves, uh, i don't think there is any evidence the biological material in the vaccine sticks around much longer than needed to cause the immune system to recognize it or the protein it encoded. these things don't replicate, stick themselves permanently in dna, etc, etc... because if they did, that would be easy to find out. so that part of what you two are trying to argue doesn't wash with me. you could change my mind, but you would need to offer evidence, or examples.

here's an article about long-term covid complications. they are obviously very real for people who have had more severe cases: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

argh! said:
ilovethecats said:

first, i don't care whether people get vaccinated or not, if they don't want to do so, that is their problem. also, i'm a scientist and not a clinician, and regarding the vaccines and how the government is operating, my biggest complaints are that people who have covid aren't treated the same as vaccinated people when it comes to visiting the vulnerable, etc... but, there are a lot of articles popping up about long term covid effects, mostly the usual populations, but also in young people. it is hard to confirm or deny them. as for the long term effects of the vaccines themselves, uh, i don't think there is any evidence the biological material in the vaccine sticks around much longer than needed to cause the immune system to recognize it or the protein it encoded. these things don't replicate, stick themselves permanently in dna, etc, etc... because if they did, that would be easy to find out. so that part of what you two are trying to argue doesn't wash with me. you could change my mind, but you would need to offer evidence, or examples.

here's an article about long-term covid complications. they are obviously very real for people who have had more severe cases: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

Hey, you’re way more informed on this than me so I can’t argue. I’m just saying in simple terms we don’t know the long term of the virus like we don’t know the long term of the vaccine. That seems to be the case in my eyes but I could be incorrect. But if others see it like me, at the very least I could see why some people would be hesitant, despite knowing the success rate against the virus itself.

I too am frustrated by the fact that it seems like going forward it’s the vaccine or nothing. Musicians are having concerts with only vaccinated in attendance. Sports venues have vaccinated only sections. Money and prizes are being given to those vaccinated. Doesn’t the science suggest if you had the virus you’re just as safe as those vaccinated? If I chose not to get vaccinated (I did get vaccinated) because I already had the virus (I did have the virus) shouldn’t I be allowed to show proof of that to see a concert or go to a game?

Then you have that old can of worms of showing documentation to be allowed to do something which in my eyes is a slippery slope but I’ll leave that argument to those of you more educated on the matter than myself.

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:

Hey, you’re way more informed on this than me so I can’t argue. I’m just saying in simple terms we don’t know the long term of the virus like we don’t know the long term of the vaccine. That seems to be the case in my eyes but I could be incorrect. But if others see it like me, at the very least I could see why some people would be hesitant, despite knowing the success rate against the virus itself.

I too am frustrated by the fact that it seems like going forward it’s the vaccine or nothing. Musicians are having concerts with only vaccinated in attendance. Sports venues have vaccinated only sections. Money and prizes are being given to those vaccinated. Doesn’t the science suggest if you had the virus you’re just as safe as those vaccinated? If I chose not to get vaccinated (I did get vaccinated) because I already had the virus (I did have the virus) shouldn’t I be allowed to show proof of that to see a concert or go to a game?

Then you have that old can of worms of showing documentation to be allowed to do something which in my eyes is a slippery slope but I’ll leave that argument to those of you more educated on the matter than myself.
It's time to realize it's all about control and not facts.

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:

agree, there shouldn't be any limits on what anybody can do by now, anyone at risk should be vaccinated, and anyone who is around an at risk person who for some reason can't be vaccinated should, too. not a supporter of breaking people into groups based on vaccination state, i.e. vaccine 'passports', although if that's what a private business wants to do, i'll respect it, just not use whatever they are trying to sell me.

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:

or just going too far thinking one is erring on the side of safety. it is easy to paint the world into black and white, but newsflash, it is in technicolor.

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:

/quote]
Control for what or to what end and by who? who exactly is calling the shots for total control here? is there a manifesto or prospectus somewhere that we can read about their plan for control? And If it’s secret how do you know about it and why are you so sure of this control idea.. Thanks

Ps. Did you ever wonder if the markets might dictate control of things? Just a thought, the markets don’t care about anti vaxxers or anti maskers and conspiracies, they only care about what a majority of individuals in collective societies are willing to risk and at what reward based upon known facts. Am I wrong here because that sounds a lot like market capitalism. What facts are being ignored in order to control in a once in a 100 year pandemic? Aren’t there still a lot of unknowns that scientists and academics and medical providers and governments are trying to know to make the right decisions and the markets follow the facts?

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:

Social conditioning. Wait until we get climate change lock downs or some other nonsense.

argh! said:
ilovethecats said:

agree, there shouldn't be any limits on what anybody can do by now, anyone at risk should be vaccinated, and anyone who is around an at risk person who for some reason can't be vaccinated should, too. not a supporter of breaking people into groups based on vaccination state, i.e. vaccine 'passports', although if that's what a private business wants to do, i'll respect it, just not use whatever they are trying to sell me.

American Airlines pilot yesterday started his speech with this: “Despite the fact the CDC has released additional guidance regarding the necessity of masks with vaccinations, FEDERAL LAW STILL REQUIRES masks in all airports and airplanes. Violation of this could result in removal from the airplane, and civil or criminal penalties.” So even he knew (and was willing to share) that the mask mandate is a fucking joke at this point, but there’s nothing he can do about it.

I have flown to Cabo, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, and Missoula twice in the the past six months. 18 legs of flights. Not ONCE was I told to put my mask back on, as long as I was eating or drinking something, until the flight into Missoula on Tuesday. Met my one and only “Karen” flight attendant on that Delta flight who expected me to pull my mask up in between sips from my soda. Other than that, the flight attendants essentially haven’t given a fuck.

And much like grocery stores and other places where people congregate, Airlines will probably require masks until a plane full of people decide, en masse, that they’re not going to comply and all take them off once the plane takes off. Do you REALLY think that plane is going to turn around?

Back