• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Bomb to drop on Arizona State?

IF these egregious violations occurred, and ASU ended up with the 36th 'best' recruiting class what does that say about their recruiting, or more broadly, is this a common practice throughout the FBS but no specific allegations have surfaced, yet? Remember, allegations are just that, allegations.

3-7-77 said:
IF these egregious violations occurred, and ASU ended up with the 36th 'best' recruiting class what does that say about their recruiting, or more broadly, is this a common practice throughout the FBS but no specific allegations have surfaced, yet? Remember, allegations are just that, allegations.
Herman Edwards was never the answer to the ASU HCing needs today. They have had a run of very poor ADs making bad decisions. ASU is huge and blessed with sufficient resources to excel.

3-7-77 said:

Dude, are you joking? Of course it’s a common practice.

I'm no Pollyanna. Setting the stage for a conclusion. 'As evidenced by...(and)...related to...'
How long until other programs get ratted out by exposed rats? The 'ol, "I know I 'm going down, but I won't go down alone" ploy. 'Lets Make A Deal' in real life.

CDAGRIZ said:
3-7-77 said:

I was listening to a sports show the other morning, and they had an Ex-exec for an MLB team on. He talked about the latest "Cheating" scandal, and opened up about all the things they would do
1) If it was raining, they would leave the roof of the stadium open, so Batting practice would be canceled for the opposing team
2) Study outfielders, and cut the grass the way the opposing teams fielders didn't like it
3) Had Vats of Sun screen in the dug-out for the pitchers to use for spin rate
4) Teams had fans that would sit up in the bleachers and wave towels when there was an off speed pitch coming (he would be told be the video team in an ear piece)

Many others, but it was interesting hearing about how cheating is at every level of every sport there is. Billions of dollars are at stake, and if it means paying college kids with money,( or free hot dogs) you have to push the limit until it bites you.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I was listening to a sports show the other morning, and they had an Ex-exec for an MLB team on. He talked about the latest "Cheating" scandal, and opened up about all the things they would do
1) If it was raining, they would leave the roof of the stadium open, so Batting practice would be canceled for the opposing team
2) Study outfielders, and cut the grass the way the opposing teams fielders didn't like it
4) Teams had fans that would sit up in the bleachers and wave towels when there was an off speed pitch coming (he would be told be the video team in an ear piece)

Many others, but it was interesting hearing about how cheating is at every level of every sport there is. Billions of dollars are at stake, and if it means paying college kids with money,( or free hot dogs) you have to push the limit until it bites you.
That seems like a lot of sunscreen and a lot of spin.

Rumor has it the Griz used their own subtle methods for game day. Back in the grass field days, soaking the field in some locations to make opposing receivers/running backs slip/fall. Artificial crappy field conditions producing field conditions ala Chattanooga 2000.

SaskGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:

That seems like a lot of sunscreen and a lot of spin.

Yeah... When he said it I thought the same thing. But I was born with absolutely no discernible athletic ability, hence why I only cover sports and not play them. (oh shit, did I just give PR more ammo?) I was a 4 handicap on my High School golf team thought...

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I had this typed up in my first post in this thread and nixed it, but what the hell: A friend of mine played FB for an SEC team (one of the ones in Alabama) in the late 90s. He says almost everyone on the 2-deep was on the take somehow. He says, at least in that conference, it was much less common to find a starter who wasn't getting something on the side than one who was. Nothing huge in most cases, but in some cases it was significant. I have no idea if it's true, but he did say this which made sense: "You think Cam Newton's dad turned down a quarter-mil from Mississippi State to have Cam play at Auburn for free?" That kind of resonated with me. That's just life in big time CFB, I guess.

CDAGRIZ said:
SACCAT66 said:

I had this typed up in my first post in this thread and nixed it, but what the hell: A friend of mine played FB for an SEC team (one of the ones in Alabama) in the late 90s. He says almost everyone on the 2-deep was on the take somehow. He says, at least in that conference, it was much less common to find a starter who wasn't getting something on the side than one who was. Nothing huge in most cases, but in some cases it was significant. I have no idea if it's true, but he did say this which made sense: "You think Cam Newton's dad turned down a quarter-mil from Mississippi State to have Cam play at Auburn for free?" That kind of resonated with me. That's just life in big time CFB, I guess.

That's the thing... Everyone wants to be in the Big time playing for an FBS Championship... YOU NEVER WILL BE... Neither um and MSU have the money (not just the school, but from donors) to get these kids to come here...

CDAGRIZ said:
SACCAT66 said:

I got a buddy who played safety for one of the SEC schools in Mississippi that’s not a state school(I may have said too much) and he says he didn’t have to attend a single class in his four years. Maybe not exactly paying athletes but definitely cheating.

3-7-77 said:
Rumor has it the Griz used their own subtle methods for game day. Back in the grass field days, soaking the field in some locations to make opposing receivers/running backs slip/fall. Artificial crappy field conditions producing field conditions ala Chattanooga 2000.
That could explain the Streak.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I got a buddy who played safety for one of the SEC schools in Mississippi that’s not a state school(I may have said too much) and he says he didn’t have to attend a single class in his four years. Maybe not exactly paying athletes but definitely cheating.
You could count the number of classes Randy Moss attended at Marshall on one hand.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

That's the thing... Everyone wants to be in the Big time playing for an FBS Championship... YOU NEVER WILL BE... Neither um and MSU have the money (not just the school, but from donors) to get these kids to come here...

So true. I don't think either program eyes the FBS as a way to compete with P5 schools, because, as you point out, that will never happen. In hindsight, I guess it was refreshing to see UM's "transgressions" amount to so little after a full NCAA investigation. I can't imagine what the NCAA would find at P5 programs . . . if they wanted to, which they absolutely do not.

The players are getting paid in some way or another. That's just a fact. And to compete at that level, you have to find ways to pay the players without getting caught.

Back