Carson Rostad to LB?

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
Post Reply
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8515
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

kemajic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:23 pm
argh! wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm my experience watching him in games (don't see practices) is that he's the 'last guy on the pile' more frequently than any other player i can remember watching for the griz, and that's how he piles up 'tackles'.
Your argument may hold water for assists, unless you also claim he gets credit for SOLO tackles by being the last guy on the pile. In his freshman and sophomore seasons RH accumulated 102 SOLO tackles. Correspondingly, upperclassmen safety teammates Gavin Robertson and Josh Sandry were next with 67 and 61 SOLOs respectively.
RH is a tackling machine, like his uncle before him. While I'll concede his coverage is not star-quality, more average, criticism of his tackling is absurd. Show me a safety with better output in his underclassman years.

My opinion - backed up by data.
so he had roughly so solo tackles each year, and roughly 68 assisted. taking into account his very significant playing time, is that good, great, average, or what? anybody know?
Jesse
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 pm

argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:07 am
kemajic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Your argument may hold water for assists, unless you also claim he gets credit for SOLO tackles by being the last guy on the pile. In his freshman and sophomore seasons RH accumulated 102 SOLO tackles. Correspondingly, upperclassmen safety teammates Gavin Robertson and Josh Sandry were next with 67 and 61 SOLOs respectively.
RH is a tackling machine, like his uncle before him. While I'll concede his coverage is not star-quality, more average, criticism of his tackling is absurd. Show me a safety with better output in his underclassman years.

My opinion - backed up by data.
so he had roughly so solo tackles each year, and roughly 68 assisted. taking into account his very significant playing time, is that good, great, average, or what? anybody know?
Careful, Tread lightly argh!
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8515
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 pm
argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:07 am

so he had roughly so solo tackles each year, and roughly 68 assisted. taking into account his very significant playing time, is that good, great, average, or what? anybody know?
Careful, Tread lightly argh!
nah, just stick your head in the fire. turns out it is digitally created, not the real stuff. you've obviously already been 'burned'. did it hurt?
User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 13689
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:07 am
kemajic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Your argument may hold water for assists, unless you also claim he gets credit for SOLO tackles by being the last guy on the pile. In his freshman and sophomore seasons RH accumulated 102 SOLO tackles. Correspondingly, upperclassmen safety teammates Gavin Robertson and Josh Sandry were next with 67 and 61 SOLOs respectively.
RH is a tackling machine, like his uncle before him. While I'll concede his coverage is not star-quality, more average, criticism of his tackling is absurd. Show me a safety with better output in his underclassman years.

My opinion - backed up by data.
so he had roughly so solo tackles each year, and roughly 68 assisted. taking into account his very significant playing time, is that good, great, average, or what? anybody know?
Everybody but Jesse knows, including you.
God knows when I'm good, I'm good and when I'm good, it's seldom - Aaron Watson
Jesse
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 pm

argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:38 pm
Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 pm
Careful, Tread lightly argh!
nah, just stick your head in the fire. turns out it is digitally created, not the real stuff. you've obviously already been 'burned'. did it hurt?
Not a bit lol
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5892
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 pm
argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:07 am

so he had roughly so solo tackles each year, and roughly 68 assisted. taking into account his very significant playing time, is that good, great, average, or what? anybody know?
Careful, Tread lightly argh!
Did argh state that RH only starts because his dad is the coach and multiple other players, that play different positions, would be better and should start? Guess I missed that.
garizzalies
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Fair assessment. I guess the real question is: Do you think he’s starting because of who his dad is? And do you think there’s better options who are NOT starting/playing because of who their dad ISN’T? Because no one here is claiming BH doesn’t have holes in his game (albeit pointed out succinctly by Alaska Griz that he’s been a FR & SO his first two starting seasons and we should expect him to get materially better)….it’s Jesse’s proclamation that the ONLY reason he starts and plays is because of who his dad is.
my only thought is that it seems to me that he should be subbed for in passing situations.
Why do you think he’s not “fast enough”? Which DBs are faster? Who would you “sub” in for RH on passing downs?
alabamagrizzly
Posts: 4433
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am
argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am

my only thought is that it seems to me that he should be subbed for in passing situations.
Why do you think he’s not “fast enough”? Which DBs are faster? Who would you “sub” in for RH on passing downs?
Somebody taller and faster, doesn’t matter who. There’s GOT to be someone taller and faster.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8515
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am
argh! wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am

my only thought is that it seems to me that he should be subbed for in passing situations.
Why do you think he’s not “fast enough”? Which DBs are faster? Who would you “sub” in for RH on passing downs?
i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough", i said i didn't think he was as fast as anderson in terms of making up for mistakes, which entails more than just being 'fast'. in fact a very fast person could fall into the category of not making up for mistakes fast. the reason i said that was just based on watching him, vs, say, anderson. it has to do with angles, and many other factors, not just straight ahead speed. again, it is only my opinion, based on watching him. maybe he'll be better in the next two years, as posited by somebody earlier.
User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 26781
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

argh! wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm
garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am
Why do you think he’s not “fast enough”? Which DBs are faster? Who would you “sub” in for RH on passing downs?
i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough", i said i didn't think he was as fast as anderson in terms of making up for mistakes, which entails more than just being 'fast'. in fact a very fast person could fall into the category of not making up for mistakes fast. the reason i said that was just based on watching him, vs, say, anderson. it has to do with angles, and many other factors, not just straight ahead speed. again, it is only my opinion, based on watching him. maybe he'll be better in the next two years, as posited by somebody earlier.
I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
Jesse
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 pm

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm
argh! wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm

i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough", i said i didn't think he was as fast as anderson in terms of making up for mistakes, which entails more than just being 'fast'. in fact a very fast person could fall into the category of not making up for mistakes fast. the reason i said that was just based on watching him, vs, say, anderson. it has to do with angles, and many other factors, not just straight ahead speed. again, it is only my opinion, based on watching him. maybe he'll be better in the next two years, as posited by somebody earlier.
I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
I think argh! Is making a comparison to Colt and not Troy. I was harping on the fact that Troy ran by him because of poor angles, not necessarily just his lack of speed. I agree with argh! speed can sometimes make up for poor technique. So if you don’t have good speed or quickness you better have good technique or you get exposed a lot.
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5892
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Jesse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
I think argh! Is making a comparison to Colt and not Troy. I was harping on the fact that Troy ran by him because of poor angles, not necessarily just his lack of speed. I agree with argh! speed can sometimes make up for poor technique. So if you don’t have good speed or quickness you better have good technique or you get exposed a lot.
Curious, have we established which safeties have better technique and speed or quickness than RH?
Jesse
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 pm

HelenaHandBasket wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:31 pm
Jesse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 pm

I think argh! Is making a comparison to Colt and not Troy. I was harping on the fact that Troy ran by him because of poor angles, not necessarily just his lack of speed. I agree with argh! speed can sometimes make up for poor technique. So if you don’t have good speed or quickness you better have good technique or you get exposed a lot.
Curious, have we established which safeties have better technique and speed or quickness than RH?
Maybe move on now, this thread is supposed to be about Rostad moving to LB. I think he has about the same size frame as Dante Olson. And I believe his 40 time out of high school was like 4.7 which i think is a bit faster then Dante’s. He will likely gain more speed as he gets stronger playing the position. I just hope he likes and looks for contact like Dante did.
Griz#64
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Well, there may be some credibility in Old Jesse's comments, As a player i have personally experienced The old game of last one on and the last to get up : Thusly, , a stat for a tackle. Trust me it is a easy way to get your name announced over the PA
User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 26781
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Jesse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
I think argh! Is making a comparison to Colt and not Troy. I was harping on the fact that Troy ran by him because of poor angles, not necessarily just his lack of speed. I agree with argh! speed can sometimes make up for poor technique. So if you don’t have good speed or quickness you better have good technique or you get exposed a lot.
Yes but it was YOU who essentially attributed the 2nd half meltdown in 2019 to Troy Anderson’s ability to run over/through/around BH and his inability to adjust. I’m still waiting for the list of people he DIDN’T run over/through/around in that game. You don’t have it, because your entire premise is fatally flawed. You think you’re being filleted because you criticized the coach’s son. But actually it’s simply because your take is stupid, untrue, and uncalled for.

I don’t know Bobby, and I don’t know Robby. But I can bet dollars to donuts that ANY coach’s son feels an added extra pressure to perform, specifically because there’s dipshits like you out there who insist he’s only playing because he’s related to the coach.

But yeah, if only we’d had someone ELSE playing safety last year we’d have beaten those pesky ‘Scats into submission. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
garizzalies
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

argh! wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm
garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am
Why do you think he’s not “fast enough”? Which DBs are faster? Who would you “sub” in for RH on passing downs?
i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough" ...
O really?

argh! wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm ...he's not smart enough or fast enough...
Ok, so no actual data? And no attempt to answer my other questions? Just your weird subjective comparison of players decades apart and what you might see streaming on Pluto from China? (Might as well be on Pluto.)

I’m calling it. I think argh& and Spot-nuts are just Hauck-haters. No actual data, just trolly contrarians for contrarian-sake.

I’m not even going out on a limb here. Argh$ is a known Hauck-hater since Al Gore invented egriz, and basically the only person to defend Stitt/Engstrom for god knows why. And spotty is a known troll who has been band multiple times. 2 peas in a pod.
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8515
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:19 pm
argh! wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm

i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough" ...
O really?

argh! wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm ...he's not smart enough or fast enough...
Ok, so no actual data? And no attempt to answer my other questions? Just your weird subjective comparison of players decades apart and what you might see streaming on Pluto from China? (Might as well be on Pluto.)

I’m calling it. I think argh& and Spot-nuts are just Hauck-haters. No actual data, just trolly contrarians for contrarian-sake.

I’m not even going out on a limb here. Argh$ is a known Hauck-hater since Al Gore invented egriz, and basically the only person to defend Stitt/Engstrom for god knows why. And spotty is a known troll who has been band multiple times. 2 peas in a pod.
you forgot the 'to make up for his mistakes, like they were', which was my full sentence, and a comparison with two players who made the nfl for long periods. too tough a comparison? i wasn't the one who brought them up first. i also was very clear that my only 'data' was my observation of games, nothing more. it's just a message board, not an analytics site. but, hey man, taking things out of context is easy, isn't it... as for hauck, i don't hate him. what a waste of time and emotion that would be. do i think he's a good representative for um? not really, but that is just my opinion. and when did i defend engstrom? i didn't. keep making up stuff, it appears to be the only way you can "discuss" things with those who don't agree with you.
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 8515
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm
argh! wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm

i don't think i wrote "he's not fast enough", i said i didn't think he was as fast as anderson in terms of making up for mistakes, which entails more than just being 'fast'. in fact a very fast person could fall into the category of not making up for mistakes fast. the reason i said that was just based on watching him, vs, say, anderson. it has to do with angles, and many other factors, not just straight ahead speed. again, it is only my opinion, based on watching him. maybe he'll be better in the next two years, as posited by somebody earlier.
I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
i was comparing him to colt anderson. you are talking about ????
User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 26781
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

argh! wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:55 pm

I’m STILL waiting for the list of people Anderson DIDN’T run by in the two games he played. You keep harping on the fact RH apparently couldn’t catch Anderson. Who did? Who could?
i was comparing him to colt anderson. you are talking about ????
Yes, you were. But Jesse began this charade by pissing and moaning about how BH singlehandedly lost us the 2019 game by letting Troy Anderson run over, by and through him. I have asked him half a dozen times for the list of defensive players that Troy Anderson did NOT run by during that game, but he has yet to produce a single one.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
garizzalies
Posts: 3783
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

argh! wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:10 am
garizzalies wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:19 pm

O really?




Ok, so no actual data? And no attempt to answer my other questions? Just your weird subjective comparison of players decades apart and what you might see streaming on Pluto from China? (Might as well be on Pluto.)

I’m calling it. I think argh& and Spot-nuts are just Hauck-haters. No actual data, just trolly contrarians for contrarian-sake.

I’m not even going out on a limb here. Argh$ is a known Hauck-hater since Al Gore invented egriz, and basically the only person to defend Stitt/Engstrom for god knows why. And spotty is a known troll who has been band multiple times. 2 peas in a pod.
you forgot the 'to make up for his mistakes, like they were', which was my full sentence, and a comparison with two players who made the nfl for long periods. too tough a comparison? i wasn't the one who brought them up first. i also was very clear that my only 'data' was my observation of games, nothing more. it's just a message board, not an analytics site. but, hey man, taking things out of context is easy, isn't it... as for hauck, i don't hate him. what a waste of time and emotion that would be. do i think he's a good representative for um? not really, but that is just my opinion. and when did i defend engstrom? i didn't. keep making up stuff, it appears to be the only way you can "discuss" things with those who don't agree with you.
Your goofy comparison makes no sense without actual data. In fact, none of it makes sense. People make mistakes; we’re only human. Thus, if you’re not “fast enough” to correct, you’re not fast enough (period). You’re semantics sounds like sour grapes, particularly when you can’t even attempt to address my other questions, and that’s why I called you out.

There is no “context” for your subjective hate because it only exists in your mind’s eye. “Context” implies some kind of objective data, and you admittedly have none. Your “comparison” is of players who never set foot on the field at the same time and involves no measurable metric.

For some reason, you think Stitt was a better rep of UM than BH which is so laughable. It is a message board, and my opinion is you are a Hauck-hater. Which is fine; I don’t give a shit. You’ve been doing it for years—what the hell do I care? But don’t get your panties in a wad when you you get called out for no data/support.

Crazy part is, you usually defend the undersized, underdog type of players who get unnecessary hate (like the nguyens). But here, I think your opinion proves your Hauck-hater status and not just because it is unsupported and unsupportable, but because RH is the one player who possibly gets more scrutiny than any other before him.

The even crazier crazy part is, I personally would love to see another player starting over RH, but I don’t just make shit up to support my wish.
Post Reply