• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU in the News, not good

info

DONOR
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jun/18/former-ewu-womens-basketball-coach-accuses-ad-hick/

Not good. By the time this plays out through the 'system,' EWU may have figured out it can't afford to be FCS. This might just be the tipping point. Good to see other schools having their Engstrom moment, though.

The filing further claims Schuller was given less pay than her male counterparts. The claim is seeking no less than $5 million in damages from the state, citing pay disparities, emotional distress and the loss of substantial benefits.

In a specific example, the tort claim alleges that Hickey told Schuller in 2018 “not to bother” applying for the position of senior woman administrator despite her qualifications. The university instead hired Sarah Adams, which the filing describes as a younger, less-experienced candidate.

The filing also references the dismissal of former EWU soccer Coach Chad Bodnar, who was fired last month, claiming Hickey actively and publicly commented on her desire to terminate Bodnar.

The filing claims Hickey prioritized men’s athletics over women’s, which manifested in “unequal hiring practices, budgets, athletic care, training and safety resources.”

After the women’s basketball team lost two assistant coaches last summer, according to the claim, Hickey allegedly prohibited Schuller from filling those spots until mid-October as team practices started. The filing contrasts that to January , when Hickey allegedly allowed EWU football coach Aaron Best to immediately rehire for vacant assistant coaching positions.

The filing further accuses Hickey of sweeping claims involving threatening behavior exhibited by members of EWU’s football team under the rug to protect the university’s football players.

Paytonlives said:
The filing further claims Schuller was given less pay than her male counterparts. The claim is seeking no less than $5 million in damages from the state, citing pay disparities, emotional distress and the loss of substantial benefits.

In a specific example, the tort claim alleges that Hickey told Schuller in 2018 “not to bother” applying for the position of senior woman administrator despite her qualifications. The university instead hired Sarah Adams, which the filing describes as a younger, less-experienced candidate.

The filing also references the dismissal of former EWU soccer Coach Chad Bodnar, who was fired last month, claiming Hickey actively and publicly commented on her desire to terminate Bodnar.

The filing claims Hickey prioritized men’s athletics over women’s, which manifested in “unequal hiring practices, budgets, athletic care, training and safety resources.”

After the women’s basketball team lost two assistant coaches last summer, according to the claim, Hickey allegedly prohibited Schuller from filling those spots until mid-October as team practices started. The filing contrasts that to January , when Hickey allegedly allowed EWU football coach Aaron Best to immediately rehire for vacant assistant coaching positions.

The filing further accuses Hickey of sweeping claims involving threatening behavior exhibited by members of EWU’s football team under the rug to protect the university’s football players.

Missoulian would have led with the last sentence. Rest of that shit is just window dressing….

Didn’t her entire team basically enter the transfer portal. That should be a big-time red flag that this coach lost her entire team and locker room. Now she cries foul! Come on now.

HookedonGriz said:
Didn’t her entire team basically enter the transfer portal. That should be a big-time red flag that this coach lost her entire team and locker room. Now she cries foul! Come on now.

There were girls that entered the portal both before and after the firing. Difficult to tell if this was related to the coach or quite possibly the same issues that the former coach is making public about the treatment of the entire women's program.

3-7-77 said:
Not good. By the time this plays out through the 'system,' EWU may have figured out it can't afford to be FCS. This might just be the tipping point. Good to see other schools having their Engstrom moment, though.

No, it is not.

I have no idea about the merits of this case. It may all be valid … or not. (On general principles, I'm guessing that at least some of it is valid.)

But the bottom line (coach-wise) is that her overall record – per Wikipedia – at EWU is 277-322 (46%). She had a few decent years with the Eags, but that’s hardly an inspiring performance. In the last five years, her teams were 59-91 (39%). The issues her lawyers cite may well have held the program back, but one also wonders how she hung on as long as she did with such a mediocre record.

Copper Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Sour grapes.

Possibly, but what damn timing for that school. They had plenty of problems already. Yikes

News Flash...she was a crappy coach. This is her last hurrah...she will never coach again. Some lawyer persuaded her to take a shot at one last payday.

That's my take.

But, yes bad timing for ewu.

The thing that makes this interesting is the dismissal of the soccer coach. That whole process seems to smell, and may or may not demonstrate a pattern by the AD.

grizindabox said:
The thing that makes this interesting is the dismissal of the soccer coach. That whole process seems to smell, and may or may not demonstrate a pattern by the AD.
I will say her allegations don’t seem like much, but you’re right the situation with the women’s soccer coach is odd. He was fired for like no reason at all and he consistently had his teams in the top 3 of the conference every year.

20 years at EWU and a losing Conference record and losing overall record. How’d she last 20 years???

Griz90 said:
20 years at EWU and a losing Conference record and losing overall record. How’d she last 20 years???

I mean, I have zero inside facts on this, but that seems like it would be my defense. “We gave you 20 years, and you sucked. That’s why we fired you.” And then cite about 1,700 examples of DI coaches getting fired for performance.

I have no dog on this fight and no idea on the claim’s merits. But I’ll say this about Hickey: people dislike her upon first meeting because it’s simply more efficient and saves time.

Back