• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Sure, they won't relinquish the power, because they've always had it. Whether they feel the need to exercise it is the point. They didn't just exercise the power when cases and deaths plummeted. They lifted restrictions. Even Newsom lifted restrictions when cases were way down in May and June. Bars, barbers, gyms, theaters, concert/sports venues, and small businesses of all kinds opened back up for business. I think the goalposts were left in the same place, but if sure seems like we could be moving back toward them. And hey, maybe some people want to put more places out of business, I really don't know the motivation.

I do know this: I see a slight disconnect between refusing the vaccine and then complaining about restrictions/people taking unemployment instead of working/no sports/businesses closing shop for good, etc., all of which were the direct result of the virus spreading the first time. I mean, we've already witnessed what governments did the first time, and most hated it. Now we know how to stop them from doing it again. Just the way I see it.

I don't know if people will comply with restrictions this time around as they did previously.

If you are among those who got the vaccine, or previously had COVID...it could be very frustrating because you were told getting the vaccine or having antibodies was the golden ticket.

We will NEVER achieve a 100 percent vaccination rate...

Can someone remind me what number gets us to herd immunity? I've lost the bubble on that.

CDC scrubbed herd immunity from their website. Apparently the concept doesn’t apply to COVID.

(That’s totally made up BTW….but I do remember some controversy about CDC changing/altering their herd immunity language several months back)… :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
I don't know if people will comply with restrictions this time around as they did previously.

If you are among those who got the vaccine, or previously had COVID...it could be very frustrating because you were told getting the vaccine or having antibodies was the golden ticket.

Can someone remind me what number gets us to herd immunity? I've lost the bubble on that.

CDC scrubbed herd immunity from their website. Apparently the concept doesn’t apply to COVID.

(That’s totally made up BTW….but I do remember some controversy about CDC changing/altering their herd immunity language several months back)… :lol:

Speaking of making stuff up...where did this pandemic originate? How?

Thankfully the international institutions are on the case, and we should know the answer soonest!

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Speaking of making stuff up...where did this pandemic originate? How?

Thankfully the international institutions are on the case, and we should know the answer soonest!

THey're like Columbo, bro. :thumb: :thumb:

don't worry, if there are any pictures that are evidence of wrongdoing by the wuhan virus institute, kodak will delete them. a little off topic, but...

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/07/21/kodak-deletes-xinjiang-photo-from-instagram-vows-to-respect-chinese-govt/

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

I haven't looked at the CDC site (how it's even possible for the Center for Disease Control to become political is stupefying to me, but a topic for another day, I guess), but the NIH estimates anywhere from 84% to 90%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7929447/

Part of the problem with narrowing that number down more precisely is that herd immunity varies based on the transmission rate of a disease, and we simply don't have enough data and experience with the Rona to nail that number down accurately. As an example, the herd immunity rate for measles is 94%.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

So it's fair to say we have a ways to go with Covid. That said, we've nearly eliminated measles because, I guess, stopping its spread never became political.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Sure, they won't relinquish the power, because they've always had it. Whether they feel the need to exercise it is the point. They didn't just exercise the power when cases and deaths plummeted. They lifted restrictions. Even Newsom lifted restrictions when cases were way down in May and June. Bars, barbers, gyms, theaters, concert/sports venues, and small businesses of all kinds opened back up for business. I think the goalposts were left in the same place, but if sure seems like we could be moving back toward them. And hey, maybe some people want to put more places out of business, I really don't know the motivation.

I do know this: I see a slight disconnect between refusing the vaccine and then complaining about restrictions/people taking unemployment instead of working/no sports/businesses closing shop for good, etc., all of which were the direct result of the virus spreading the first time. I mean, we've already witnessed what governments did the first time, and most hated it. Now we know how to stop them from doing it again. Just the way I see it.

Individuals might not (although, did they ever in some states?), but events/sports/schools/etc. would have to. I think we're both making the same point with your second para. If stuff shuts down again because people don't get vaccinated, it will be extremely frustrating. Did your daughter get to compete as normal during this whole thing? Or was part of a season lost? Honest question because my daughters (and every other athlete in the area) lost a ton of opportunities to practice/compete. About a year's worth.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

This is the drum I've been beating too. They're trying to get the unwilling vaccinated, but there is no incentive for those to do so. Discussing masks again regardless if you are vaccinated.

And yes, I know the incentive if for the greater good of your fellow man. Protecting your neighbor. I understand that. But for those that haven't gotten vaccinated, they obviously don't look at things this way. So now we're talking about masks, schools still not being fully opened, potential business closures in areas where it's spreading, and from the outside looking in no benefits of getting vaccinated.

We'll just continue hurting the kids, killing businesses, ruining our way of life to protect those that refuse to get vaccinated. There's no end game this way.

ilovethecats said:
They're trying to get the unwilling vaccinated, but there is no incentive for those to do so.
There’s an incentive program in Beautiful Butte America: a “COVID lotto” where $35k is distributed each week to 5 winners who got the shot. It has been going on for months and will continue thru Sept. Just another reason why Butte America is the greatest country in the solar system.

ilovethecats said:
This is the drum I've been beating too. They're trying to get the unwilling vaccinated, but there is no incentive for those to do so. Discussing masks again regardless if you are vaccinated.

And yes, I know the incentive if for the greater good of your fellow man. Protecting your neighbor. I understand that. But for those that haven't gotten vaccinated, they obviously don't look at things this way. So now we're talking about masks, schools still not being fully opened, potential business closures in areas where it's spreading, and from the outside looking in no benefits of getting vaccinated.

We'll just continue hurting the kids, killing businesses, ruining our way of life to protect those that refuse to get vaccinated. There's no end game this way.

I'm not sure I follow, ILTC. The way it's been explained to me is that there won't be need for restrictions if enough people get vaccinated. So, when people who refuse the shot say there is no incentive to getting it if we're going to have restrictions again "even if vaccinated" I think they are missing a pretty obvious connection. I think we're on the same page, but not sure.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

I'm not sure I follow, ILTC. The way it's been explained to me is that there won't be need for restrictions if enough people get vaccinated. So, when people who refuse the shot say there is no incentive to getting it if we're going to have restrictions again "even if vaccinated" I think they are missing a pretty obvious connection. I think we're on the same page, but not sure.
No we're on the same page. It's just a lot of grey area in the minds of the unvaccinated in my opinion.

We've been told once we hit a certain number of vaccinations we'll have herd immunity. But that number has moved all over the place. And even if we had a concrete number, we're talking about millions of people. Kind of how "every vote matters", every vaccination matters. But just like many people don't vote as they don't see their single vote making a difference, many people are going to refuse the vaccination because they don't see their single vaccination mattering. Especially when even the vaccinated are expected to be wearing masks again.

My opinion is we know who is in danger of spreading the virus; the unvaccinated. We know who runs the biggest risk of hospitalization or death; the unvaccinated. I'm to the point in all this nonsense where I would like to see a harder stance taken on those who refuse the vaccine. I didn't have this mindset 6 months ago. But why should I suffer because people refuse the vaccine? Why should my kids school suck with little sense of normalcy because people refuse the vaccine?

Vaccinations are a personal choice. No doubt. But in my perfect world (that will never happen) I'd like that choice to come with rewards and consequences. Want to go to the game? Gotta be vaccinated. Want to come in my bar? Vaccinated. Want to fly on vacation? Vaccinated. Want to go to college? Vaccinated. Concerts? Vaccinated.

This thing isn't going away. But why keep punishing good people, kids and businesses to protect those that are fine taking their own risks? It doesn't make sense to me.

[/quote]

i agree with this post. all the credible evidence i've seen says that pfizer and moderna are effective against the delta variant. i think j&j is, too, but if it isn't you can always get a booster using one of the other two. i really don't care much about the people who choose not to get vaccinated, that is their problem. if you want a vaccine, you can have one. i'm not going to wear a mask for people who choose not play it safe.

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
No we're on the same page. It's just a lot of grey area in the minds of the unvaccinated in my opinion.

We've been told once we hit a certain number of vaccinations we'll have herd immunity. But that number has moved all over the place. And even if we had a concrete number, we're talking about millions of people. Kind of how "every vote matters", every vaccination matters. But just like many people don't vote as they don't see their single vote making a difference, many people are going to refuse the vaccination because they don't see their single vaccination mattering. Especially when even the vaccinated are expected to be wearing masks again.

My opinion is we know who is in danger of spreading the virus; the unvaccinated. We know who runs the biggest risk of hospitalization or death; the unvaccinated. I'm to the point in all this nonsense where I would like to see a harder stance taken on those who refuse the vaccine. I didn't have this mindset 6 months ago. But why should I suffer because people refuse the vaccine? Why should my kids school suck with little sense of normalcy because people refuse the vaccine?

Vaccinations are a personal choice. No doubt. But in my perfect world (that will never happen) I'd like that choice to come with rewards and consequences. Want to go to the game? Gotta be vaccinated. Want to come in my bar? Vaccinated. Want to fly on vacation? Vaccinated. Want to go to college? Vaccinated. Concerts? Vaccinated.

This thing isn't going away. But why keep punishing good people, kids and businesses to protect those that are fine taking their own risks? It doesn't make sense to me.

Agree with every word. It doesn't make sense to protect the unvaccinated at the expense of everything, but the fact that the governments have the power to do just that made me fall in line.

Your voting analogy is strong. We've all heard people say they aren't voting because everyone knows who will win/what will pass anyway. They just can't see the connection between the act and the result. Here, I'd argue that the connection is even more direct between the vaccine and restrictions, but some still refuse to see it and say "I'd still have to wear a mask if they shut down again even if I was vaccinated, so no thanks." It's an F5 tornado of circular reasoning.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Individuals might not (although, did they ever in some states?), but events/sports/schools/etc. would have to. I think we're both making the same point with your second para. If stuff shuts down again because people don't get vaccinated, it will be extremely frustrating. Did your daughter get to compete as normal during this whole thing? Or was part of a season lost? Honest question because my daughters (and every other athlete in the area) lost a ton of opportunities to practice/compete. About a year's worth.

It has been a very difficult year for young athletes. School sports were somewhat limited in many ways. Thankfully, club sports were/are a bit better.

Resistance to mandates may go beyond individuals this time. I can see businesses and private entities simply not comply. Could be a mess...but who knows.

I think most people are just over this thing...I know I am. I got the shots and just want to live life...

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It has been a very difficult year for young athletes. School sports were somewhat limited in many ways. Thankfully, club sports were/are a bit better.

Resistance to mandates may go beyond individuals this time. I can see businesses and private entities simply not comply. Could be a mess...but who knows.

I think most people are just over this thing...I know I am. I got the shots and just want to live life...

Good to hear there were at least some competitions. I think you're correct about the resistance to mandates if they happen again. Hell, there was a restaurant here in town that not only didn't close at all, but wouldn't let you in with a mask during the height in spring 2020. Lines out the door. He made the local news, but nothing happened to him. I'd expect more like him if it happens again.

100% on your last line.

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I'd like that choice to come with rewards and consequences. Want to go to the game? Gotta be vaccinated. Want to come in my bar? Vaccinated. Want to fly on vacation? Vaccinated. Want to go to college? Vaccinated. Concerts? Vaccinated.

Great post!

I’ve reached this point, too. At this time it isn’t the federal/state/county/municipal governments that are limiting what we can and can’t do. It’s the unvaccinated that are holding us back.

Vaccinations have been available for six months. There have been over 330,000,000 doses given. It’s safe and FREE.

Paradoxically, I will be joining the anti-maskers if masks become mandated again in Idaho. Those same fuckwads that wouldn’t wear masks last year are the same people that won’t get vaccinated this year. What would lead one to believe those same idiots would suddenly mask up now?

I echo the comments from many of you above. I’m so done with this shit. Let’s allow Darwinism to run its course.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I think that number has changed over time. Originally, I thought it was 60%. Now, I think it is 85%. It also depends on who you ask and what country you are in.

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:

I'd like that choice to come with rewards and consequences. Want to go to the game? Gotta be vaccinated. Want to come in my bar? Vaccinated. Want to fly on vacation? Vaccinated. Want to go to college? Vaccinated. Concerts? Vaccinated.

Great post!

I’ve reached this point, too. At this time it isn’t the federal/state/county/municipal governments that are limiting what we can and can’t do. It’s the unvaccinated that are holding us back.

Vaccinations have been available for six months. There have been over 330,000,000 doses given. It’s safe and FREE.

Paradoxically, I will be joining the anti-maskers if masks become mandated again in Idaho. Those same f###[#] that wouldn’t wear masks last year are the same people that won’t get vaccinated this year. What would lead one to believe those same idiots would suddenly mask up now?

I echo the comments from many of you above. I’m so done with this shit. Let’s allow Darwinism to run its course.

I agree completely in theory. The problem, of course, is that nothing happens in a bubble. As an example, do I care that Billy Bob Countryhick dies because he "ain't gunna have no gummit tell me what to do"? No, no I do not.

But if Billy Bob spends 3 weeks in ICU prior to passing on to the Great Liberty in the Sky, he's going to rack up hundreds of thousands in unpaid medial bills. Guess who does get to pay them, one way or the other? The vaccinated are getting screwed in this deal no matter what happens, all because a life-saving vaccine became politicized and people refuse to take personal accountability.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Great post!

Paradoxically, I will be joining the anti-maskers if masks become mandated again in Idaho. Those same f###[#] that wouldn’t wear masks last year are the same people that won’t get vaccinated this year. What would lead one to believe those same idiots would suddenly mask up now?

I agree completely in theory. The problem, of course, is that nothing happens in a bubble. As an example, do I care that Billy Bob Countryhick dies because he "ain't gunna have no gummit tell me what to do"? No, no I do not.

But if Billy Bob spends 3 weeks in ICU prior to passing on to the Great Liberty in the Sky, he's going to rack up hundreds of thousands in unpaid medial bills. Guess who does get to pay them, one way or the other? The vaccinated are getting screwed in this deal no matter what happens, all because a life-saving vaccine became politicized and people refuse to take personal accountability.

I hear you, EG. But think of the opportunities in the housing market. Repossess the dead’s houses to payoff their medical bills and property liens. Sell the homes to the vaccinated living. Goodbye lack of affordable housing.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:

I hear you, EG. But think of the opportunities in the housing market. Repossess the dead’s houses to payoff their medical bills and property liens. Sell the homes to the vaccinated living. Goodbye lack of affordable housing.

By Jove!!

Back