• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the conference realignment begin!

fanofzoo said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Oddly enough, a transition to four 16-team power conference doesn’t turn out to be that difficult. There are a few hard choices, but – believe it or not –many of the changes fall “naturally” into place.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Atlantic Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
NC State
Rutgers [transfer from Big Ten]
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Coastal Division
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

West Virginia moving to the ACC has been talked up forever (more natural rivals, better travel, etc). Not so much talk about Rutger getting back to where it belongs … in the ACC … but the notion has been discussed quite a bit by commentators who follow the team.

Big Ten
East Division
Illinois [moved from West Division]
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue [moved from West Division]
Rutgers [out to ACC]
West Division
Kansas
Kansas State

Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

No big surprise here. Almost every discussion of the Big 12 breaking up has the three teams I’ve listed going to the Big Ten. And adding Kansas would make the Big Ten even more of a monster in basketball. To maintain balance, they’d need to shift Illinois and Purdue, but that makes a lot of sense geographically.

Pac-12
North Division
California
Colorado [moved from South Division]
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah [moved from South Division]
Washington
Washington State
South Division
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
UCLA
USC

This wholesale switch of four teams from the disbanded Big-12 may seem like a stretch … and it might be. Still, it would make a good package for the South Division, including some of the old “natural” rivalries. Baylor is problematic for various reasons, but the fact that they’re the current NCAA men’s basketball champion would be a definite plus for the Pac-12. Aside from all that, moving Colorado and Utah to the North Division makes sense geographically.

SEC
East Division
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vanderbilt
West Division
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Missouri [moved from East Division]
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

I put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division to preserve that heated rivalry. Moving Missouri to maintain balance also works, because it puts them in with Arkansas and Texas A&M.
You guys need a hobby. :cool:
Got one (a couple, actually). But while we wait for some real meat for Griz discussion, it's fun to poke around at other issues outside of BSC and FCS. :lol: And the projection did not take that much time, really.

IdaGriz01 said:
Mavman said:
All this talk about schools moving up for realignment is a moot point I believe. I see a future with 4 16 team conferences and then the other FBS smaller conferences. These realignments are only to make the rich richer ...
Oddly enough, a transition to four 16-team power conference doesn’t turn out to be that difficult. There are a few hard choices, but – believe it or not –many of the changes fall “naturally” into place.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Atlantic Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
NC State
Rutgers [transfer from Big Ten]
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Coastal Division
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

West Virginia moving to the ACC has been talked up forever (more natural rivals, better travel, etc). Not so much talk about Rutger getting back to where it belongs … in the ACC … but the notion has been discussed quite a bit by commentators who follow the team.

Big Ten
East Division
Illinois [moved from West Division]
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue [moved from West Division]
Rutgers [out to ACC]
West Division
Kansas
Kansas State

Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

No big surprise here. Almost every discussion of the Big 12 breaking up has the three teams I’ve listed going to the Big Ten. And adding Kansas would make the Big Ten even more of a monster in basketball. To maintain balance, they’d need to shift Illinois and Purdue, but that makes a lot of sense geographically.

Pac-12
North Division
California
Colorado [moved from South Division]
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah [moved from South Division]
Washington
Washington State
South Division
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
UCLA
USC

This wholesale switch of four teams from the disbanded Big-12 may seem like a stretch … and it might be. Still, it would make a good package for the South Division, including some of the old “natural” rivalries. Baylor is problematic for various reasons, but the fact that they’re the current NCAA men’s basketball champion would be a definite plus for the Pac-12. Aside from all that, moving Colorado and Utah to the North Division makes sense geographically.

SEC
East Division
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vanderbilt
West Division
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Missouri [moved from East Division]
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

I put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division to preserve that heated rivalry. Moving Missouri to maintain balance also works, because it puts them in with Arkansas and Texas A&M.

While I've thought things might end up along these lines do you think charter members USC and UCLA would accept a division with all newcomers and eschewing all their old historical rivals? I don't think so.

CDAGRIZ said:
Hoops watcher said:
Will OK pols let OU move without OSU? Seems it was an issue when PAC expansion was being discussed a decade ago.

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/sooners-and-longhorns-potential-move-to-sec-not-without-roadblocks/article_7366eefc-eb3e-11eb-90e0-57c58449af9d.html

OU to the SEC, OSU to the PAC along with Kansas, just a hunch.

I was curious if anyone knew if politicians (and OSU alumni) would allow OU to split off from OSU conference wise. From what I remember they were going to put te kibosh on it when OU and UT were considering a PAC move 10 years ago. AFAIK the legislature still controls the U system purse strings there, could throw a sabot in the machinery.

IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
You guys need a hobby. :cool:
Got one (a couple, actually). But while we wait for some real meat for Griz discussion, it's fun to poke around at other issues outside of BSC and FCS. :lol: And the projection did not take that much time, really.

Well thanks for all the info, can't wait for the season.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
More on the Texas/Oklahoma story from another source:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

If this happens (and some reporters act like it's a done deal), a whole bunch of crazy dominoes will fall, starting with three big ones.

First, it would give the SEC 16 teams in two divisions. How many games will those teams schedule out of conference in that case? Assume each plays the other seven members of its division. Surely they would then have at least two or three cross-divisional games. Not much room to play any strong OOC opponents. That matters, because it makes it even less likely that any will continue to play money games with FCS opponents.

Second, what's left of the Big-12 is most likely toast, with teams scrambling to find homes. Still, they would still have eight, which means they don't have to add new teams. Either way, however, the notion that they are a "Power" conference takes a major hit.

Given those two points, the big boys will have to completely rethink how they might expand their playoffs. A relatively neat selection of conference champions plus a few at-large qualifiers is no longer going to work.

Of course, this would also be another step along the path to a so-called "superconference." And that matters because it would likely have a major negative impact on FCS football. Current FBS teams that get left out of the super-C would suddenly become second-tier players. Yes, most already are, but this would make it "official." That would push the status of FCS down even further than it already is. That, in turn, would make it even harder to get TV deals.

And here's a thought: Suppose the second-tier FBS guys decide they should have a playoff of their own? Seems unlikely, but who knows what might happen down the road?

Last but not least: Where will basketball fit in? A football superconference would not be super in basketball.

I think that's inevitable. It would literally be the ONLY level of CFB that did NOT have a playoff...

In my opinion, the current Gang of 5 schools will be the the new de facto FCS. So if schools like UM and MSU want to remain really where they are, they should accept a move to the Mountain West when offered this time. (I think UM and MSU will most likely receive invitations to the MWC this time after the MWC loses members before this new shake up is over. ) It will be those remaining in the G5, or not being in the Super conferences, will be for all practical purposes being dropped a level in the new pecking order.

I do think this new G5 will before too long have a play off system, when it is realized they are locked out of the big boy's playoff (which they will be).

NavyBlue said:
AZGrizFan said:
I think that's inevitable. It would literally be the ONLY level of CFB that did NOT have a playoff...

In my opinion, the current Gang of 5 schools will be the the new de facto FCS. So if schools like UM and MSU want to remain really where they are, they should accept a move to the Mountain West when offered this time. (I think UM and MSU will most likely receive invitations to the MWC this time after the MWC loses members before this new shake up is over. ) It will be those remaining in the G5, or not being in the Super conferences, will be for all practical purposes being dropped a level in the new pecking order.

I do think this new G5 will before too long have a play off system, when it is realized they are locked out of the big boy's playoff (which they will be).
It will be dictated by TV $. There is little to no audience for the FCS playoffs outside the participating teams (why they keep increasing that number) and they are a $ loser for the NCAA. Be interesting to see if a substantial audience exists for your G5 prediction.

I will be quite surprised if UM/MSU receive offers from the MWC; no one seems to want to travel to MT and I agree with another poster that the leftover TX schools are likely at the head of the line.

NavyBlue said:
AZGrizFan said:

Navy, In your opinion, if MSU and UM accept when (if) that happens, who will be the other schools in the conference? Utah State, Wyoming and which others?

NavyBlue said:

I am interested in what members you think the MWC will lose, and where they would be going.

Boise State will be gone more than likely. I think there is a chance that San Diego State, Colorado State could go too. Some even think UNLV has an outside chance because of the market and that they play in the Raiders stadium. I am skeptical about that one but who knows. Maybe a small chance that Fresno could be invited to the watered down Big 12 too.

The ones for sure not going anywhere: Utah State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force (probably not), Nevada-Reno, San Jose State and Hawaii. So that leaves a mostly regional group of schools the Griz and Cats could compete with. I think the AAC will probably back fill with some of the Texas schools that are in lower ranking conferences.

I see New Mexico State along with UM and MSU as possible MWC candidates based on how many the MWC loses. And who happens to be available.

NavyBlue said:
Boise State will be gone more than likely. I think there is a chance that San Diego State, Colorado State could go too. Some even think UNLV has an outside chance because of the market and that they play in the Raiders stadium. I am skeptical about that one but who knows. Maybe a small chance that Fresno could be invited to the watered down Big 12 too.

The ones for sure not going anywhere: Utah State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force (probably not), Nevada-Reno, San Jose State and Hawaii. So that leaves a mostly regional group of schools the Griz and Cats could compete with. I think the AAC will probably back fill with some of the Texas schools that are in lower ranking conferences.

I see New Mexico State along with UM and MSU as possible MWC candidates based on how many the MWC loses. And who happens to be available.

I just don't see the Power 5 conference schools adding other schools to dilute the revenue if at all possible. Therefore, I don't think many, if any, of the MWC schools will be invited into the fold.

NavyBlue said:

Gone to where? I see no way that the Pac-12 takes Boise, whatever other changes are made. I assume you're suggesting that the Big-12 will try to add teams rather than disband? We can quibble about the divisional lineups of a new "Four-16" power conference structure, but the absorption of the Big-12 teams into the four survivors seems much more likely than that they'll add members from outside the current P-5 set.

NavyBlue said:

The revised Mountain West with the Griz and Cats joining would be an excellent conference.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-ranked-no-2-montana-state-no-4-in-big-sky-preseason-football-polls/article_bddeb934-afa6-5849-a8b3-201694444c12.html

How's this for realignment?

tgreseth said:
Spanky2 said:
You bring up a good question. There could be concerns about our decline in enrollment.

Of the 130 schools with an FBS program, seven have an enrollment of less than 10,000 and four have an enrollment of less than 5,000. Which FBS school has the smallest enrollment?

Some hints:
It's the only school whose football stadium is at least 1,000 percent larger than its enrollment.
It's located west of the Mississippi River.
It's a Group of Five school.

Google is your friend...this was a 2018 HeroSports Quiz

Tulsa is the smallest. Rice U basically fits those requirements as well (enrollment to stadium size)

The small schools are either private (Rice, Tulsa, Wake Forest), Academies (AF, Army, Navy)
The only real public under 10K is ULM, which is on everyone's list for most likely/most needed to drop to FCS , not exactly the company you should aspire to.

IdaGriz01 said:
NavyBlue said:

Gone to where? I see no way that the Pac-12 takes Boise, whatever other changes are made. I assume you're suggesting that the Big-12 will try to add teams rather than disband? We can quibble about the divisional lineups of a new "Four-16" power conference structure, but the absorption of the Big-12 teams into the four survivors seems much more likely than that they'll add members from outside the current P-5 set.

Boise State won't go to the Pac. But I think the Big 12 leftovers will invite the best teams they can find. It won't be Power 5 or whatever but the Big 12 I think, will survive in some form. It will be kind of a best of the rest conference, on the outside looking in. I think Boise and BYU . I don't think all the Big 12 members will find a landing spot. The ones leftover will invite the best G5s they can and they will be able to get them. I don't see any school from a current Power conference going to the Big 12 like some say the Arizona's, Utah, and Colorado coming back, that would be stupid.
The PAC won't take private religious schools so BYU, Baylor and TCU don't have a shot. Boise doesn't have the academic profile for the PAC.

OrgonGriz said:
I read an article the other day that indicated the following.

Texas and UO to SEC
Rest of Big 12 disbands
Iowa state, Kansas and Kansas State to Big 10
West Virginia to ACC
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State to P-12.

This would give the Power-4 conferences 16 teams.

With these super conferences, OOC games will be limited and done within the P-4 and the days of the money games coming to and end for the remains “FBS” and “FCS”. People will want to see these more high level matchups across the board.

If this does happen what shakes out with the rest of FBS and FCS. Loosing money games could be a death blow.

Maybe they should take the remaining FBS and FCS schools with higher aspirations and create more regional conferences.

I guess this could the start of the major shakeup to college athletics that we have questioned in the past. It certainly will be interesting to see what things looks like in the next 5-10 years. Especially adding in the NIL change.

Personally I think UM has invested way to much to not try and take this to the next level. Meaning not getting dropped back of left behind. They should be playing with teams like , Colorado State, Boise, Nevada etc. Basically more Mountain West level type schools. Just my opinion.

There needs to be a revamp of scholarship rules and better definition of divisions. Get rid of FBS, FCS(I-aa), d2, d3 and this only pertains to college football.

College Football Division 1 - new Power 4 conferences
College Football Division 2 - remaining FBS and top FCS
College Football Division 3 - remaining FCS
College Football Division 4 - D2 schools
College Football Division 5 - D3 schools (no scholarships)

I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA doing the right thing as they are not really in control of college football....the conferences are.

Spanky2 said:
NavyBlue said:

The revised Mountain West with the Griz and Cats joining would be an excellent conference.

I agree, it would be a fun conference.

TimInBillings said:
There needs to be a revamp of scholarship rules and better definition of divisions. Get rid of FBS, FCS(I-aa), d2, d3 and this only pertains to college football.

College Football Division 1 - new Power 4 conferences
College Football Division 2 - remaining FBS and top FCS
College Football Division 3 - remaining FCS
College Football Division 4 - D2 schools
College Football Division 5 - D3 schools (no scholarships)

I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA doing the right thing as they are not really in control of college football....the conferences are.
I wouldn't hold my breath on the NCAA doing the right thing if they were in control.

kemajic said:
NavyBlue said:

It will be dictated by TV $. There is little to no audience for the FCS playoffs outside the participating teams (why they keep increasing that number) and they are a $ loser for the NCAA. Be interesting to see if a substantial audience exists for your G5 prediction.

I will be quite surprised if UM/MSU receive offers from the MWC; no one seems to want to travel to MT and I agree with another poster that the leftover TX schools are likely at the head of the line.

That would be a gigantic step down for those TX schools…gigantic.

Spanky2 said:
NavyBlue said:

Agreed. Almost every regional geographic rival would be annual games. Would love that conference.

Back