• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the conference realignment begin!

If UM and MSU decide they are interested in joining the Mountain West Conference, the two presidents will need to put their selling shoes on and make aggressive presentations to the Mountain West selection committee prior to them formally sending invitations. They will need to get prior buy in from the Board of Regents. If the two presidents delay action, the outcome Kem predicted will likely come true.

Spanky2 said:
If UM and MSU decide they are interested in joining the Mountain West Conference, the two presidents will need to put their selling shoes on and make aggressive presentations to the Mountain West selection committee prior to them formally sending invitations. They will need to get prior buy in from the Board of Regents. If the two presidents delay action, the outcome Kem predicted will likely come true.

UM is more likely to reduce athletic spending than spend to join the MWC.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:

UM is more likely to reduce athletic spending than spend to join the MWC.

Great positive comments!

Me n HHB have something in common. Damn glass is half empty. Although, he does make a good point.

A fair number of college football commentators are acting like the power schools will surely transition to a set of four 16-team conferences. (I like to think of them as “double-conferences,” which is what they would be as far as their schedules are concerned.) And many of them glibly state that the inevitable next step will be a true superconference of 32 or perhaps only 20 teams. Personally, for a variety of reasons, I see that as highly unlikely.

Still, I got to thinking: What would a 32-team college superconference look like? Who would be asked to join up? One assumes that they would have to play good football, based on the long term, not just for a couple hot years. But, given that this is mainly about money, success on the field would need to show up on the bottom line. Translation: Big stadiums, a highly recognizable “brand name” for TV, and robust gear sales.

Trouble is, schools play so many games with their books, it’s hard to know … reliably … who is really making a lot of money. But we can get a handle on the football on the field side, using the NCAA Football Power Index (FPI). It took a bit of time, but I assembled a table of top teams based on the years since 2016. (That year, Coastal Carolina was in transition to full FBS, but the list remained pretty much the same after that.) To assure full coverage, I collected data for all the teams that were in the top-32 for at least a couple years in that stretch. I ended up with 65 teams (half the total FBS list). I then averaged their FPI ranks over those years.

So here are the top 32 teams, grouped by their present conferences. Numbers in parentheses are their average ranks:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC
Clemson (2), Miami (19), North Carolina (29), Notre Dame (8), Virginia Tech (27)

Big-12
Iowa State (23), Oklahoma (4), Oklahoma State (14), TCU (22), Texas (17), West Virginia (28)

Big Ten
Iowa (15), Michigan (16), Northwestern (30), Ohio State (3), Penn State (6), Wisconsin (9)

PAC-12

Oregon (20), Stanford (26), USC (18), Utah (21),Washington (11)

SEC
Alabama (1), Auburn (7), Florida (13), Georgia (5), LSU (10), Mississippi State (25), Missouri (32), Ole Miss (31), Texas A&M (12)

This compilation immediately raises the question: Would the big boys really include Central Florida from the American? They finished in the top-25 FPI for four of the six years I used. Their stadium seats 48,000, but is designed to be expandable to 65,000. That might not be good enough, financially. If the powers did snub UCF, that would open a slot for Washington State (33).

The inclusions are pretty much what you’d expect. What I found more interesting was: Who gets left out? Here are a few:
Arizona State (35), Arkansas (59), Florida State (43), Michigan State (47), Oregon State (64), Tennessee (48), UCLA (51), Virginia (56)

I’m sure my “excluded” list includes other teams that are involved in heated “traditional” rivalries that get the fan bases riled up. These days, some people blow off that sort of thing, but such games can be big money-makers.

All that being said, I do not see something like this ever happening. Which is why I didn’t bother with creating a division setup.

IdaGriz01 said:
A fair number of college football commentators are acting like the power schools will surely transition to a set of four 16-team conferences. (I like to think of them as “double-conferences,” which is what they would be as far as their schedules are concerned.) And many of them glibly state that the inevitable next step will be a true superconference of 32 or perhaps only 20 teams. Personally, for a variety of reasons, I see that as highly unlikely.

Still, I got to thinking: What would a 32-team college superconference look like? Who would be asked to join up? One assumes that they would have to play good football, based on the long term, not just for a couple hot years. But, given that this is mainly about money, success on the field would need to show up on the bottom line. Translation: Big stadiums, a highly recognizable “brand name” for TV, and robust gear sales.

Trouble is, schools play so many games with their books, it’s hard to know … reliably … who is really making a lot of money. But we can get a handle on the football on the field side, using the NCAA Football Power Index (FPI). It took a bit of time, but I assembled a table of top teams based on the years since 2016. (That year, Coastal Carolina was in transition to full FBS, but the list remained pretty much the same after that.) To assure full coverage, I collected data for all the teams that were in the top-32 for at least a couple years in that stretch. I ended up with 65 teams (half the total FBS list). I then averaged their FPI ranks over those years.

So here are the top 32 teams, grouped by their present conferences. Numbers in parentheses are their average ranks:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC
Clemson (2), Miami (19), North Carolina (29), Notre Dame (8), Virginia Tech (27)

Big-12
Iowa State (23), Oklahoma (4), Oklahoma State (14), TCU (22), Texas (17), West Virginia (28)

Big Ten
Iowa (15), Michigan (16), Northwestern (30), Ohio State (3), Penn State (6), Wisconsin (9)

PAC-12

SEC
Alabama (1), Auburn (7), Florida (13), Georgia (5), LSU (10), Mississippi State (25), Missouri (32), Ole Miss (31), Texas A&M (12)

This compilation immediately raises the question: Would the big boys really include Central Florida from the American? They finished in the top-25 FPI for four of the six years I used. Their stadium seats 48,000, but is designed to be expandable to 65,000. That might not be good enough, financially. If the powers did snub UCF, that would open a slot for Washington State (33).

The inclusions are pretty much what you’d expect. What I found more interesting was: Who gets left out? Here are a few:
Arizona State (35), Arkansas (59), Florida State (43), Michigan State (47), Oregon State (64), Tennessee (48), UCLA (51), Virginia (56)

I’m sure my “excluded” list includes other teams that are involved in heated “traditional” rivalries that get the fan bases riled up. These days, some people blow off that sort of thing, but such games can be big money-makers.

All that being said, I do not see something like this ever happening. Which is why I didn’t bother with creating a division setup.
Wondering why you bothered with this at all.

IdaGriz01 said:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC

Big-12

Big Ten

PAC-12

SEC

My favorite president was told by his final choice for vice president "It's time to shit or get off the pot." This is getting pretty funny reading all the writers wishes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/live-blogs/oklahoma-and-texas-conference-realignment-rumors-sec-expansion-big-ten-reaction-and-big-12-fallout/s8DgtCNpx3ut%3famp=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/spartanswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/25/latest-conference-realignment-rumor-states-sec-in-serious-contact-with-um-osu/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/georgia/.amp/news/ohio-state-florida-state-clemson-michigan-sec-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/here-are-some-options-for-remaining-big-12-teams-when-texas-oklahoma-leave-for-sec/amp/

And of course there's an article about my favorite who gives a shit school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2021/07/26/notre-dame-conference-realignment-rumors/amp/

I'm glad all of our leadership just sits on their ass and will react to whatever happens to all the wannabe schools and the fcs (you know, the schools with a "real" playoff insead of all those meaningless bowls...)

SaskGriz said:
Hate big time college football!

Love watching football on a crisp Saturday afternoon from a small college town.

Couldn't care less about the NFL D league (the SEC), the numerically inaccurate Big 10 (hey Northwestern, Ohio St, Michigan et al, if you are such great schools how come you can't count?), Notre Dame (you've got God on your side but still lose?), Clemson, Florida State, and Miami can't register their team GPA's until one of their players takes a class. The only interesting thing about the Pac-12 is the University of Nike Ducks uniforms which they seem to change at half time of each game. And Boise State (Riverside Community College) would have the ugliest field on God's green earth if EWU didn't exist (I'm assuming it still does as of this ranting).

Thanks Mr. Sask, that is 100% where I come down on the 'move up' discussion. Perfectly put.

https://mobile.twitter.com/406mtsports/status/1421622963099602949?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1421622963099602949%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

mcg said:
SaskGriz said:

Couldn't care less about the NFL D league (the SEC), the numerically inaccurate Big 10 (hey Northwestern, Ohio St, Michigan et al, if you are such great schools how come you can't count?), Notre Dame (you've got God on your side but still lose?), Clemson, Florida State, and Miami can't register their team GPA's until one of their players takes a class. The only interesting thing about the Pac-12 is the University of Nike Ducks uniforms which they seem to change at half time of each game. And Boise State (Riverside Community College) would have the ugliest field on God's green earth if EWU didn't exist (I'm assuming it still does as of this ranting).

Thanks Mr. Sask, that is 100% where I come down on the 'move up' discussion. Perfectly put.

:thumb: Yeah me too.

IdaGriz01 said:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC

Big-12

Big Ten

PAC-12

SEC

Nah. A fair number of college football commentators have a thing for equanimity and consistency. Two things college sports have never been.

All these rumors that the B1G and Kansas were talking turned out to not be true.

There’s no value in the Pac-12 taking any remaining big 12 schools (won’t that be the big 8 by then?). Neither the market test (the old measuring standard) nor the eyeball test (in this time of streaming taking hold, the new measuring standard) really support making any of those moves. The bigger worry in Pac-12 offices is the rumor of 4-6 Pac schools approaching B1G. I don’t know if that’s as likely as USC going independent (because there’s an open question of whether any Pac-12 schools meet the eyeball test, almost solely because all the schools that matter are too close to popular pro teams).

So the big 8 might just try to grab on to a couple G5 schools and leave it at that.

Thing is, there are officials in the SEC and B1G just today saying they’re now reconsidering playoff expansion. Sounds to me like that’s what a P4 would do… and, yes, that might be too easy a conclusion. It would also be an easy consolidation.

Oh, one aside… is there really a need for the P4.5 to break away from the NCAA when, instead, they can all but take possession of the whole mess?

As with many things, it’s easy to expect a seismic shift from this move. I’m just saying that it doesn’t have to happen, historically it doesn’t usually happen this way, and while this is a big move, that doesn’t compel anyone else to actually do much.

Pounder said:
IdaGriz01 said:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC

Big-12

Big Ten

PAC-12

SEC

Nah. A fair number of college football commentators have a thing for equanimity and consistency. Two things college sports have never been.

All these rumors that the B1G and Kansas were talking turned out to not be true.

There’s no value in the Pac-12 taking any remaining big 12 schools (won’t that be the big 8 by then?). Neither the market test (the old measuring standard) nor the eyeball test (in this time of streaming taking hold, the new measuring standard) really support making any of those moves. The bigger worry in Pac-12 offices is the rumor of 4-6 Pac schools approaching B1G. I don’t know if that’s as likely as USC going independent (because there’s an open question of whether any Pac-12 schools meet the eyeball test, almost solely because all the schools that matter are too close to popular pro teams).

So the big 8 might just try to grab on to a couple G5 schools and leave it at that.

Thing is, there are officials in the SEC and B1G just today saying they’re now reconsidering playoff expansion. Sounds to me like that’s what a P4 would do… and, yes, that might be too easy a conclusion. It would also be an easy consolidation.

Oh, one aside… is there really a need for the P4.5 to break away from the NCAA when, instead, they can all but take possession of the whole mess?

As with many things, it’s easy to expect a seismic shift from this move. I’m just saying that it doesn’t have to happen, historically it doesn’t usually happen this way, and while this is a big move, that doesn’t compel anyone else to actually do much.
So is your view not much will happen?

Pounder said:
IdaGriz01 said:

AAC
UCF (24)

ACC

Big-12

Big Ten

PAC-12

SEC

I believe I've read virtually every online article from one end of the country to the other on all of this and believe you're correct.

Just pretend a decent NFL team decides to relocate to Austin. You know, one like Buffalo positioned to be pretty damn good for the next few years. Like Coach Spurrier said, Texas couldn't even win in the Big 12.

I think I'm goig to buy as much CBS and Fox stock as I can afford because...they are going to still be standing when this Disney power play goes the same way the WAC expansion to 16 teams went a few years ago.

https://footballscoop.com/news/big-12-expansion-boise-state-ucf-byu-cincinnati

The additions of cincinatti and boisie, and UCF to the big 12 would have big implications for the FCS. We’d probably lose both NDSU and JMU

mcg said:
SaskGriz said:

I agree, as well. I've had USC (Gamecocks) passes for three years and see lots of SEC games. But, the only exciting thing to see is the pregame pageantry that is truly impressive. USC puts on a show, even though it loses a lot. The best football is at Furman, Citadel, Charleston, and South Carolina State.

GrizLA said:
mcg said:
I agree, as well. I've had USC (Gamecocks) passes for three years and see lots of SEC games. But, the only exciting thing to see is the pregame pageantry that is truly impressive. USC puts on a show, even though it loses a lot. The best football is at Furman, Citadel, Charleston, and South Carolina State.

I lived in Laramie for 7 years, and went to many college football games there during the Josh Allen years. I wouldn’t consider the Mountain west big time college football even though it’s FBS. UM and MSU would fit so well in that conference. It’s a shame that we can’t seem to get an invite as I believe it would be good for our programs.

Back