• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU / WIU - Common Opponent

HookedonGriz

DONOR
A deeper dive inside the numbers of EWU vs WIU since that’s a common opponent we share.

Griz offense vs WIU defense:
42 points
First downs 26
518 total yards
276 passing and 242 rushing

EWU offense vs WIU defense:
62 points
26 first downs
754 yards
548 passing and 206 rushing

WIU offense vs Griz defense:
0 points (only score was a pick 6)
9 first downs
151 total yards
111 passing and 40 rushing

WIU offense vs EWU defense:
56 points
27 first downs
643 total yards
468 passing and 175 rushing

I think playing at EWU on the inferno spots them about 7 points as they are always good at home, and let’s face it we haven’t won on that turf yet. With that said, we should EASILY be able to score 40+ points on their absolutely awful defense. I do think they will put up some points too, mostly off some explosive plays like we saw against WIU.

If we hold them to about 24-27 points (which is 100% do-able) we should easily win this game.

Did WIU ever get a sack against the Griz? I think at the most it was one. How many times did WIU sack Barriere? I think the EWU QB, no matter who he is will be running for his life, and so long as there's any coverage downfield, it will result in a sackfest that has never before been seen.

Based on the games thus far this year, the Big Sky does not look like a conference with four strong teams. U of M deserves their ranking thus far. Spring ball was good and they appear to have gotten even better. I don’t think people understand how good the defense is. Weebs with a healthy QB is fairly solid team, but not a powerhouse. Once again their D is damn good. Offensively they are probably an average team. EWU clearly has defensive issues that won’t be fixed this year. Sac State and NAU? Hard to tell, but likely middle of the pack. The true unknown is MSU. I have watched their games and you can’t take a whole lot away from them based on their opponents. Their offense appears more balanced, but their o line doesn’t look as good as 2019. QB play is average. Defense is pretty solid, but their secondary is the Achilles. Griz get their offense rolling and look out. I don’t think anyone is scoring a ton of points on U of M this year. I will say EWU gets 21. Unfortunately the Griz D will be on the field a lot. EWU can’t stop anyone.

fencer24 said:
Did WIU ever get a sack against the Griz? I think at the most it was one. How many times did WIU sack Barriere? I think the EWU QB, no matter who he is will be running for his life, and so long as there's any coverage downfield, it will result in a sackfest that has never before been seen.

Remember 2019. Barriere got hit/sacked so many times that by the middle of the 3rd quarter he just wanted to be the fuck out of Wa/Griz…you could see it in his eyes and his body language. He was D.O.N.E. I expect more of the same on the tampon this year.

LivingstonNative said:
The way I see it, Eastern will B lucky to score ONE touchdown against the GRIZ.

I can’t wait for that game.

I think the score will be similar to 2019. They’ll get some points, but between our defense (which will be the best defense they’ve played yet by far) and our offenses ability to basically have our way with their defense, it’s going to be a long day for eastern. Before last week I thought it would be a tough, tough game. Now I think it will be entertaining, but ultimately a two score win.

If we hold the chickens to half their average, which I think we should be able to do, that would be around 26 points, hopefully less. UNLV held them to 35 - I think we can do at least that good, or better. And then, the chicken defense is not very good. We should be able to put up 40 points. I could see the coaches wanting to hold on to the ball and grind them down which could lead to fewer points; so, maybe 35-40. Soooo, 25-40, Griz. Or, 20-35, Griz. Griz by two TD's, hopefully more!

But first of all, don't look past CP.

Go Griz!

marceagfan5 said:
EWU is much better than you guys are giving them credit for….it’s going to be an absolutely electric game.

I think it will be a very difficult game. But if you don't have major concerns about your defense after watching that game on Saturday....

I mean, the numbers are staggering. Eastern allowed 196 more yards in total offense than the GRIZ gave up to WIU and Washington COMBINED.

WIU had more total yardage against Eastern with 5:57 left in the FIRST QUARTER (two drives) than they did the entire game at Montana.

WIU had scored THREE TIMES as many points at the end of the first quarter than the GRIZ defense has given up ALL YEAR.

I could go on and on. But no objective fan could feel even the least bit confident after that defensive shitshow.

marceagfan5 said:
EWU is much better than you guys are giving them credit for….it’s going to be an absolutely electric game.

Everyone acknowledges that EWU has an offense. What more do you want? EWU defense is about as bad as it gets; it gave up 56 points and, what, 500-600 yards of offense to a team that gained only 151 and zero points the week before when we played them.

You gotta love fans who throw out subjective statements like "we're much better than you think" when faced with objective truths like stats against a common opponent.

EverettGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

I think it will be a very difficult game. But if you don't have major concerns about your defense after watching that game on Saturday....

I mean, the numbers are staggering. Eastern allowed 196 more yards in total offense than the GRIZ gave up to WIU and Washington COMBINED.

WIU had more total yardage against Eastern with 5:57 left in the FIRST QUARTER (two drives) than they did the entire game at Montana.

WIU had scored THREE TIMES as many points at the end of the first quarter than the GRIZ defense has given up ALL YEAR.

I could go on and on. But no objective fan could feel even the least bit confident after that defensive shitshow.

No doubt our defense sucks… but… Easterns going to be much better than the GRiZ fans on here are giving them credit for it. We can compare opponents All day long… But it’s going to be an absolute battle when these teams play.

marceagfan5 said:
EverettGriz said:

No doubt our defense sucks… but… Easterns going to be much better than the GRiZ fans on here are giving them credit for it. We can compare opponents All day long… But it’s going to be an absolute battle when these teams play.

Again, I certainly don't expect an easy time in Cheney. Never is.

But as a fan, if you were presented the numbers above without knowing the names of the teams involved, what would you set as the line in the game? I think most people would say something along the lines of Team A -32. Now, no way in hell do I expect that kind of line or result. But based on the numbers....

EverettGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

Again, I certainly don't expect an easy time in Cheney. Never is.

But as a fan, if you were presented the numbers above without knowing the names of the teams involved, what would you set as the line in the game? I think most people would say something along the lines of Team A -32. Now, no way in hell do I expect that kind of line or result. But based on the numbers....

We can't forget that teams do their best against the Griz. I'm not sure that the Eagles will be able to deal with the Griz linebackers not only living in the backfield, but remodeling the kitchen and adding a patio. Should be a good game though, even though I am not going there. I'll just stay at home and watch it.

One thing I was thinking while watching that game was that EWU has a great offense, but probably not 20 points better than the Griz offense. Since the EWU had to have their offensive starters in almost the entire game and needed to score 62 in order to win, while the Griz were able to pull their starters early and just run out the clock. Point being - the Griz have a better defense by a lot, and they might have an as good offense as EWU.

I see we have an eagle fan in here, perhaps they can answer this question. How can they recruit some of the most ungodly amazing talent on offense and be average at best on defense. They’ve had some good ones, but if you took 25% off the offense and somehow gave it to the defense, this would be a very legitimately strong team. Their offense will take them a long way, but when they start hitting the ball control offenses with good defenses I have to assume at this point they are going to struggle.

Back