• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
have you been living in a cave for the past 18 months? EVERYONE is experiencing staff shortages because people have been being paid not to work by our benevolent government. 8 million unemployed....10.9 million job openings.

Have those benefits run out yet? In Montana the governor put an end to them and added a bonus to go back to work. Which might suggest something else is afoot

Or maybe that his plan was shit, had no scientific or economic history of working and that it was a shit idea from a shit governor?

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:
Most (some within just the past 10 days or so....).

When I was in Montana in July I was appalled at the number of restaurants that were closed on on severely limited hours because they just couldn't find workers. Tried to got to dinner in Polson on a Sunday evening and had to try four restaurants before we found one open and willing to seat us. Two days later tried to get lunch in Columbia Falls and had to go to SEVEN restaurants at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday before we found one that was open. Crazy shit.
This is also true. People were definitely making more NOT working than they were working. But that basically just brought to light a bigger problem. I think we're just seeing the beginning of this and I think more and more places will be forced to adjust their hours or close all together.

It's a terrible problem to have because most places I'm aware of are doing record numbers in terms of business. But coming at a price of over-working staff that IS working. So until people find it in their best interest to work these service industry jobs again, owners are better off closing early, closing certain days of the week, etc than they are running off good employees.

It's a mess.

Isnt it crazy...its almost as if we knew this from the beginning and everyone should have been doing everything possible to put this economic and health crisis to an end, but like half of us said fuck it and now were here.

If only...if only people would have said this was what was going to happen, we could have all have known. Damn the unknown .... :roll:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Have those benefits run out yet? In Montana the governor put an end to them and added a bonus to go back to work. Which might suggest something else is afoot

Or maybe that his plan was shit, had no scientific or economic history of working and that it was a shit idea from a shit governor?

Yes, because paying people NOT to work was working so well. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Those people turned into home school teachers because the schools were all but closed down from...wait for it....covid.
If you listen to reason from grandma she would have told you to don't be a snowflake about it and do your part, to help everyone.
By going to public schools how many vaccines have you had, quite a few.
I don't why I waste my time, Darwin needed on asile 5.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
That post is dripping with sarcasm. North Idaho is neither blue nor liberal.

Really? I've never lived there for ~30 years. I was just commenting on what I observed and how it differs from what I see day-to-day where I am. It's pretty rampant up there right now from what I saw, but maybe it's different now.

COVID rampant yes, Work shortages yes, liberalism no. North Idaho is one of the most heavily conservative leaning areas of the entire US.

RayWill said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Really? I've never lived there for ~30 years. I was just commenting on what I observed and how it differs from what I see day-to-day where I am. It's pretty rampant up there right now from what I saw, but maybe it's different now.

COVID rampant yes, Work shortages yes, liberalism no. North Idaho is one of the most heavily conservative leaning areas of the entire US.

Yeah, I wasn’t commenting on politics; just the fact that a lot of places didn’t seem able to sufficiently staff. Maybe others can tie that to politics somehow, but I don’t pay enough attention to make such a connection.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Trash the Governor if you want but the extra benefits hurt the labor market. Our son's former girlfriend was a waitress. Last year when the restaurants had to cut tables she took unemployment. Once they allowed the return of the tables she didn't go back because her unemployment with the extra $350 / week was well above what she'd receive working. The extra benefits were her inducement not to return to work. That is a fact.

Simple economics 101 dude: I can pocket $X if I go to work, or I can pocket $X and just hang with my friends.

Guess which one most 21 year olds will opt for?

Now it is a chicken or the egg situation. Our other son works in a restaurant. He never took unemployment or stopped working. Initially he endured greatly shortened hours because of the reduced capacity. Though that changed. He is now about fried because of the labor shortage. He worked 12 hour shifts for five & six days a week because they're perpetually short staffed. People will eventually come back into the work force but many younger folks were sent away. It is taking time to get them back.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
have you been living in a cave for the past 18 months? EVERYONE is experiencing staff shortages because people have been being paid not to work by our benevolent government. 8 million unemployed....10.9 million job openings.

Exactly,
The states that eliminated the additional unemployment benefits have seen minimal to zero bounce in additional employment as compared to the rest of the country.
Lower paying service jobs are struggling everywhere to get enough staff. More likely reason for shortages is with Covid, many people will not expose themselves for those type job opportunities.
Go Griz!

Has anybody researched what these service jobs actually pay. Because Covid has fundementally changed what politicians on both sides have have been unable to do. As the country exists today, many people are not willing to work for the wages that service providers are willing to pay. $7.50 an hour isn't cutting it anymore and it hasn't even required a union organizing effort. Selling drugs or theft are more profitable. How can we blame them when 1/2 of the customers aren't willing to get vacinated or wear masks and after paying for gas and parking and taxes they are making about $5.00 an hour. There might be Haitians or refugees from Afganistan that would take the job but most of youall don't like them either. Add to that and the product is for shit, hotdogs, hamburgers and pretzels are crap. So I recommend for all you priviledged white assholes that are upset to bring in a sammy, carrot sticks and celery and quit your bitching. You will be far more healthy. Far as I know they aren't doing full cavity searches yet.

Grizzlies1982 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Trash the Governor if you want but the extra benefits hurt the labor market. Our son's former girlfriend was a waitress. Last year when the restaurants had to cut tables she took unemployment. Once they allowed the return of the tables she didn't go back because her unemployment with the extra $350 / week was well above what she'd receive working. The extra benefits were her inducement not to return to work. That is a fact.

Simple economics 101 dude: I can pocket $X if I go to work, or I can pocket $X and just hang with my friends.

Now it is a chicken or the egg situation. Our other son works in a restaurant. He never took unemployment or stopped working. Initially he endured greatly shortened hours because of the reduced capacity. Though that changed. He is now about fried because of the labor shortage. He worked 12 hour shifts for five & six days a week because they're perpetually short staffed. People will eventually come back into the work force but many younger folks were sent away. It is taking time to get them back.
If his hours were shortened due to Covid, why in the world didn't he take the enhanced unemployment offered from the government to cover his lost wages, which he very likely qualified for?

sdk.catfish said:
"So I recommend for all you priviledged white assholes..."

So, you are not:

-"privileged"

-"white"

-"asshole"

Let me get your confession off to a good start. So, you're not 'privileged' or 'white', right? The other you can't deny, based only on your post.

uofmman1122 said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

If his hours were shortened due to Covid, why in the world didn't he take the enhanced unemployment offered from the government to cover his lost wages, which he very likely qualified for?

I don't know the kid, but what is the actual source of the enhanced unemployment? More borrowed money?

reinell30 said:
I will be going in much earlier as I just had a total left hip replacement. Moving kind of slow now.
Sorry to hear that, hope it's not too bad for too long. Hope the rehab goes well, it can be tough.

What to do with all that un-used space that Pizza Hut, Johnsonville Brats, or whatever can't adequately staff? How about making room for an up and coming product, beer, that can be taken back to your seat. Cash and carry, buck a can. Hell, get greedy and charge two bucks a can.

Betcha the local distributors could staff the place. UM could partner with MPD, MCSO, and MHP for a percentage of DUI fines. Let the money roll in. Never say never. :party: Let's see the data on the prevalence or co-mobidity effects of Covid in drunk adults. They are probably one of the lowest impacted groups worldwide. Damn virus wouldn't stand a chance.

The real issue is this economy can't seem to entice unvaccinated transgender athletes to get me some Doritos Los Tacos. Extra fire sauce, please.

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:

Those people turned into home school teachers because the schools were all but closed down from...wait for it....covid.
If you listen to reason from grandma she would have told you to don't be a snowflake about it and do your part, to help everyone.
By going to public schools how many vaccines have you had, quite a few.
I don't why I waste my time, Darwin needed on asile 5.

What you need is an English teacher.

blackfoot griz said:
uofmman1122 said:

I don't know the kid, but what is the actual source of the enhanced unemployment? More borrowed money?

:lol: :lol: It’s how our benevolent government pays for EVERYTHING, bro!

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:
I saw signs on the Arbys and Taco Bell on Brooks St advertising jobs starting at $16/hr. That is insane. Yet, they can't fill them.

Totally. Here in Bozeman we have fast food places starting closer to $20. Though as we all know this is a brand new thing. Businesses are offering all sorts of incentives, signing bonuses, benefits, etc. And they'll have to continue that if they want to keep the doors open. Especially here where 1 bed apartments are $1,000 a month.

It's an ironic problem because you always here people talking about these jobs like like they are worthless because they are entry level positions for people without an education. Until of course we want to go have a burger and a beer somewhere on a Tuesday and can't.

In the end, it doesn't matter in regards to these wage increases. It's not like the owners are going to lose their own money. They'll do what everyone does and simply raise their prices. That $20 an hour working at Wendys is all fine and great until gas is $5 a gallon, your beer at Applebees are $9 a pint and that burger is suddenly $20.

Going to be interesting to see but I hope we start getting our workforce back in these positions because right now it's tough finding a place to eat or a store to shop at.

No, at some point consumers will simply stop buying. These places will increasing go high tech - employing Advanced robotics, Advanced Intel touch screens, and self-service adaptations. The workforce might come back, but soon it will not be the same.

Back