• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

Griz playing like this will not make things better for fans! Get full house and they stink up the stadium with childs play...

Two retired sisters sit directly behind us at the games. One is a retired superintendent of schools from the Missoula area. They remind me of my older sister, also retired. They love Griz football and have been to every game this year. They yell for our defense and high five our scores and defensive Turn Overs.
They were so shook up and scared over the fan fighting they got up and left their seats.
Griz nation has to be better than that embarrassing display that has nothing to do with football.
Go Griz!

Plainsman said:
AZGrizFan said:
Brought a buddy to the game from Texas. Had this EXACT conversation with him over breakfast at the Press Box. We (Griz fans) developed a sense of entitlement after the ‘95 NC and the incredible run of the 2000’s. I attended the 2009 NC game and if you’d told me that would be the LAST one for the next 12 years I’d have said you were crazy.

And i agree 100% with Walrus. While the “[#]f### Joe Biden” chant was funny once, bringing that shit to a ball game, that’s supposed to be an ESCAPE from all the shit going on around us, is just stupid. Problem is, once sports in general cracked the door open by allowing all the BLM stuff and political stances to be on full display it’s been all downhill ever since (WRT politics invading sports).

I'd say once Trump cracked open the door by acting like a middle school kid crudely denigrating anyone he didn't like or disagreed with on a daily basis on his abominable Twitter feed, his cult of followers felt empowered to do the same everywhere- and that behavior sadly continues to this day. But there are "good people on both sides" right??
Yeah I know what you mean. Once president senile completely erased the southern border, created a supply chain disaster and hyper inflation no wonder everyone is on edge. To bad his cult of followers can't see the truth and will follow him blindly into the destruction of the middle class and the rest of the country.
By the way "Let's go Brandon" is #1 on iTunes, so I guess he is uniting the country, who would of thought. :lol:

Keep politics out of the game...period.

We drive over from Great Falls every home game and that is a short commute compared to many Griz fans. The long line of cars yesterday was incredible. And not without the normal share of close calls on the highway. I have been doing this trek since 1986.

The pre-game has changed but I have also seen it for a lot of years so maybe part of it is just my impression.

What I have noticed and I think impacts the game experience the most is the incessant advertising and tv timeouts. You lose momentum and excitement when the game is stopped so often for commercials. In addition, there is very little game type entertainment such as Monte, cheerleaders, dance routines and band involvement. At least at home I can step away, get a beverage or check other games and scores. I know it is about the money.....I get it. It is just too bad that is what college football has become.

That said, an exciting, well played performance is what I go to the game for and it overrides the rest of the game day experience.

futuregrizer said:
Plainsman said:
I'd say once Trump cracked open the door by acting like a middle school kid crudely denigrating anyone he didn't like or disagreed with on a daily basis on his abominable Twitter feed, his cult of followers felt empowered to do the same everywhere- and that behavior sadly continues to this day. But there are "good people on both sides" right??
Yeah I know what you mean. Once president senile completely erased the southern border, created a supply chain disaster and hyper inflation no wonder everyone is on edge. To bad his cult of followers can't see the truth and will follow him blindly into the destruction of the middle class and the rest of the country.
By the way "Let's go Brandon" is #1 on iTunes, so I guess he is uniting the country, who would of thought. :lol:

I don't follow any president blindly anywhere, bud, unlike some. Last I looked, the southern border is still in the same place and it's pretty tough to put a naval blockade around Haiti to keep people from leaving and arriving here. Biden is flying them back home as rapidly as they arrive. As for the supply chain issue, please explain to me how Biden "created" that. It's pretty much a result of Covid disruptions, an immense amount of which has been created and reinforced by todays toxic individualism cheered on mainly by Republican leadership and "news" sites like FAUX and OnlyAssinineNews.

As for the middle class, it can only be strengthened and increased by helping people get back to work at better paying jobs-policies like helping the poor and middle class pay for child care so they can afford to work, you know a Biden agenda thing-will go a long way toward achieving this goal.

Oh, and one small thing, while I don't agree with all of Biden's policies I am at least fairly certain he won't lie about and try to subvert elections or inspire a traitorous insurrection against the very foundations of our democratic republic.

Plainsman said:
futuregrizer said:

I don't follow any president blindly anywhere, bud, unlike some. Last I looked, the southern border is still in the same place and it's pretty tough to put a naval blockade around Haiti to keep people from leaving and arriving here. Biden is flying them back home as rapidly as they arrive. As for the supply chain issue, please explain to me how Biden "created" that. It's pretty much a result of Covid disruptions, an immense amount of which has been created and reinforced by todays toxic individualism cheered on mainly by Republican leadership and "news" sites like FAUX and OnlyAssinineNews.

As for the middle class, it can only be strengthened and increased by helping people get back to work at better paying jobs-policies like helping the poor and middle class pay for child care so they can afford to work, you know a Biden agenda thing-will go a long way toward achieving this goal.

Oh, and one small thing, while I don't agree with all of Biden's policies I am at least fairly certain he won't lie about and try to subvert elections or inspire a traitorous insurrection against the very foundations of our democratic republic.
I can see from your post you have drinking copious amounts of kool-aid. Open your mind and turn off CNN, NBC and others and read some independent news sources, you'll be enlightened.
By the way it was NBC news misinformation that started the "Let's go Brandon" meme.

futuregrizer said:
Plainsman said:

I can see from your post you have drinking copious amounts of kool-aid. Open your mind and turn off CNN, NBC and others and read some independent news sources, you'll be enlightened.
By the way it was NBC news misinformation that started the "Let's go Brandon" meme.

It’s a college football game. If you can’t leave that crap at home for 4 hours, maybe you should consider never leaving the trailer park.

markson161 said:
futuregrizer said:

It’s a college football game. If you can’t leave that crap at home for 4 hours, maybe you should consider never leaving the trailer park.

You sound like an elitist, anyone who disagrees with you is either uneducated, low IQ or lives in a trailer park.
Look, this thread started with how we can get more butts in the seats, many ideas have been suggested, some good and some not so good. But instead of debating the merits of those ideas, many posters want to take personal shots at members they don't agree with.

futuregrizer said:
markson161 said:

You sound like an elitist, anyone who disagrees with you is either uneducated, low IQ or lives in a trailer park.
Look, this thread started with how we can get more butts in the seats, many ideas have been suggested, some good and some not so good. But instead of debating the merits of those ideas, many posters want to take personal shots at members they don't agree with.
Don't care about your politics but you call yourself Futuregriz so am I right in assuming that you are 17 or younger? Not saying that discredits your opinion but you would be 4 years from being allowed to buy a Bud Lite (which is worse than not drinking), so it would give some perspective on where you are coming from.

GottaluvGriz said:
Two retired sisters sit directly behind us at the games. One is a retired superintendent of schools from the Missoula area. They remind me of my older sister, also retired. They love Griz football and have been to every game this year. They yell for our defense and high five our scores and defensive Turn Overs.
They were so shook up and scared over the fan fighting they got up and left their seats.
Griz nation has to be better than that embarrassing display that has nothing to do with football.
Go Griz!
This is only a joke so don't attack me please, wouldn't it be great if you could retire from being a sister? Or any other family member?

SaskGriz said:
futuregrizer said:
Don't care about your politics but you call yourself Futuregriz so am I right in assuming that you are 17 or younger? Not saying that discredits your opinion but you would be 4 years from being allowed to buy a Bud Lite (which is worse than not drinking), so it would give some perspective on where you are coming from.
Actually you would be wrong, it references a close relative that once had aspirations of playing for the Griz.
I also don't care about your politics, but you call yourself Saskgriz so I assume your from Saskatoon or somewhere in Saskatchewan am I right? Shouldn't you be skidding rocks across some frozen water trying to steer it with a broom and pretending the rest of the world cares.

Plainsman said:
futuregrizer said:

You an indoctrinated piece of work. Toxic individualism?? The left wing riots of destruction in the major blue cities are of course peaceful demonstrations as opposed to "traitorous insurrection against the very foundations of our democratic republic." Got it. And never funded by Marxists like Soros.

And Biden lies and contradicts himself every day, that is when what he says resembles a sentence. He is running nothing. Haitians can arrive here, but they don't have to have free admission. "Biden is flying them back home as rapidly as they arrive " is a blatant lie; even you can't believe that. It's only Cuban refugees who might become GOP voters that are not allowed into the country.

:clap:
kemajic said:
Plainsman said:

You an indoctrinated piece of work. Toxic individualism?? The left wing riots of destruction in the major blue cities are of course peaceful demonstrations as opposed to "traitorous insurrection against the very foundations of our democratic republic." Got it. And never funded by Marxists like Soros.

And Biden lies and contradicts himself every day, that is when what he says resembles a sentence. He is running nothing. Haitians can arrive here, but they don't have to have free admission. "Biden is flying them back home as rapidly as they arrive " is a blatant lie; even you can't believe that. It's only Cuban refugees who might become GOP voters that are not allowed into the country.

I've been traveling to Griz games from Texas where I live for 20+ years( 2 games a year) but this year is my first year as a season ticket holder. What I can tell you is that I've gone to a lot of college football games at a wide variety of locations and I've never seen a stadium go from electric full of life to complete silence like it does this year at Wa-Griz when the scheduled time outs occur. While I like Monte (more so in past years) when the Monte Movie plays in the stadium you could hear a pin drop... this week I felt it sucked the life right out of the stadium. Add the endless TV time outs, Student interviews and game day promotions that should happen at half time not during the quarter breaks it's painful. If you want to keep the crowd in it the answer is play better, I get that... but if you want to keep the momentum and re-establish Wa-Griz as true home field advantage you can't keep looking for ways to run promos and suck the life out of the stadium. You can still make the sponsors happy without disruption to atmosphere you have created ... someone has lost sight of that! It's not what song is playing ... its play the damn music and incorporate the sponsor commitments into what needs to happen. I'm 100% sure the sponsors would be happier if they where involved with an highly engaged crowd that is know around the league for home field advantage than being part of the snooze fest they are creating... just a random thought from someone who has watched this go downhill fast...Fan for life...Go Griz!

GrizTexas said:
I've been traveling to Griz games from Texas where I live for 20+ years( 2 games a year) but this year is my first year as a season ticket holder. What I can tell you is that I've gone to a lot of college football games at a wide variety of locations and I've never seen a stadium go from electric full of life to complete silence like it does this year at Wa-Griz when the scheduled time outs occur. While I like Monte (more so in past years) when the Monte Movie plays in the stadium you could hear a pin drop... this week I felt it sucked the life right out of the stadium. Add the endless TV time outs, Student interviews and game day promotions that should happen at half time not during the quarter breaks it's painful. If you want to keep the crowd in it the answer is play better, I get that... but if you want to keep the momentum and re-establish Wa-Griz as true home field advantage you can't keep looking for ways to run promos and suck the life out of the stadium. You can still make the sponsors happy without disruption to atmosphere you have created ... someone has lost sight of that! It's not what song is playing ... its play the damn music and incorporate the sponsor commitments into what needs to happen. I'm 100% sure the sponsors would be happier if they where involved with an highly engaged crowd that is know around the league for home field advantage than being part of the snooze fest they are creating... just a random thought from someone who has watched this go downhill fast...Fan for life...Go Griz!

You’re definitely not alone in that opinion. I’m curious about the differences. I haven’t been to a game this year, but I remember always having timeouts, TV timeouts, ads, Monte movies, etc. What makes it so different this year?

CDAGRIZ said:
GrizTexas said:

You’re definitely not alone in that opinion. I’m curious about the differences. I haven’t been to a game this year, but I remember always having timeouts, TV timeouts, ads, Monte movies, etc. What makes it so different this year?

Off the top of my head:

-Seems like more game stoppages ( can't really control just a fact of life) ... but this should be an opportunity not a liability...
-Monte is way less active with the crowd... if he didn't arrive in a new Bronco ( which I what) not sure I'd know he was at the game
-Coin flip timing has influenced how the team comes out of the tunnel to start the game ... captains have to rush over
-Griz have had a difficult time on Offense creating fewer sustained drives which keep the crowd out of it forcing the game day stadium manager to be more crowd aware which I feel they aren't. Essentially watching the Griz go three and out then having a -stoppage where we watch another check being presented or a painful student interview doesn't work.
-Game promotions are scripted which is what most schools do to manage their staff but this year seems to be way to rigid and more in-game flexibility is needed to keep the crowd engaged
-Music (song selection aside) seems a bit random with not too much thought as to crowd engagement
-Crowd is drinking less ( just kidding)
-In past years I felt the crowd in general was much more aware (third downs etc.) ... just a personal observation
-North end zone continues to be great... seems like the students are less active...

I'm sure I'll come up with more but have to back to work!?

GrizTexas said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Off the top of my head:

-Seems like more game stoppages ( can't really control just a fact of life) ... but this should be an opportunity not a liability...
-Monte is way less active with the crowd... if he didn't arrive in a new Bronco ( which I what) not sure I'd know he was at the game
-Coin flip timing has influenced how the team comes out of the tunnel to start the game ... captains have to rush over
-Griz have had a difficult time on Offense creating fewer sustained drives which keep the crowd out of it forcing the game day stadium manager to be more crowd aware which I feel they aren't. Essentially watching the Griz go three and out then having a -stoppage where we watch another check being presented or a painful student interview doesn't work.
-Game promotions are scripted which is what most schools do to manage their staff but this year seems to be way to rigid and more in-game flexibility is needed to keep the crowd engaged
-Music (song selection aside) seems a bit random with not too much thought as to crowd engagement
-Crowd is drinking less ( just kidding)
-In past years I felt the crowd in general was much more aware (third downs etc.) ... just a personal observation
-North end zone continues to be great... seems like the students are less active...

I'm sure I'll come up with more but have to back to work!?

Thx.

As far as the skydiving.... I was there the day the poor guy landed in the parking lot and broke himself. That same time we were in the North End Zone and were seriously thinking another guy was going to land on top of us. I was told that the stadium changes, the added sections, made the air currents more tricky and the target more difficult. That part, I think, is just safety.

SaskGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!
This is only a joke so don't attack me please, wouldn't it be great if you could retire from being a sister? Or any other family member?

😀 poorly structured sentence.
“ two sisters that are both retired from their working profession” might have been a bit more clear.

GrizTexas said:

Really good post. My two non-sexual griz game life partners and I have commented on this on more than one occasion this year...The stadium deflates.

Back