• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Points off Turnovers

CDAGRIZ said:
Sweetness said:
Yes, but it’s not our coaches. How can you blame them when they lost one of their top offensive production players.

Some could criticize by pointing to the very fact that we did lose Knight, and Ostmo, and Childs, but still continue to attempt to run plays like any of the above players are getting the carries.

I get it that we're working with a converted WR true frosh, but I think we should try 3 or 5 more games trying to get the B gap zone runs to work.

If it doesn't work this season we can try it again next year.

If the offense continues to be anemic I think we probably lose to NAU and MSU. Don’t sleep Idaho or UNC either, which pains me to say, but that’s how poorly our offense is performing. I’m not sure there is a gimme game left on the schedule if the offense continues to play the way they played the last several games *except maybe SUU. Which brings me to my question, if we lost three of the next five (god forbid) would position coach heads roll (e.g. rosy, germer)??? They’re all such close friends that it’s hard so see Bobby letting anyone go, but he would also probably be on a bit of a warm seat at that point right? So I want to point out before people call me a negative Nancy that I want none of these things to happen. Im a big fan of hauck and Co. I just wonder if the season got worse as time went on, would hauck almost have to make a move, and if so, would he?

MontanaJack2006 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Some could criticize by pointing to the very fact that we did lose Knight, and Ostmo, and Childs, but still continue to attempt to run plays like any of the above players are getting the carries.

I get it that we're working with a converted WR true frosh, but I think we should try 3 or 5 more games trying to get the B gap zone runs to work.

Agreed. Like the old saying goes: “If at 40th, you don’t succeed, try again.”

CDAGRIZ said:
MontanaJack2006 said:

Law of averages says we’re on the verge, it’s like Russian Roulette.

But seriously, the consistently great run, run, run teams in college football could likely have success with any RB on their roster…because their offensive line is custom built for it. That’s not who we are entirely, like most of FCS we need to throw quite a bit, so pass blocking has to be a factor and there has to be a little bit of tradeoff there in the run-blocking I assume. It’s pretty evident now that we are trying to make it work with the younger guys, they’re not going to be able to run between the tackles because they’re not quite physically there (yet) and we’re not a total bulldozing team. I think we will have to become more creative on offense and concentrate more on the goal of gaining 10 yards on 3 plays than running futilely into the line twice and then throwing a horseshit pass into traffic on 3rd and 9.

Or maybe I should post BEFORE hitting the Makers Mark, that sounded a lot smarter in my head 😄

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:

But seriously, the consistently great run, run, run teams in college football could likely have success with any RB on their roster…because their offensive line is custom built for it. That’s not who we are entirely, like most of FCS we need to throw quite a bit, so pass blocking has to be a factor and there has to be a little bit of tradeoff there in the run-blocking I assume. It’s pretty evident now that we are trying to make it work with the younger guys, they’re not going to be able to run between the tackles because they’re not quite physically there (yet) and we’re not a total bulldozing team. I think we will have to become more creative on offense and concentrate more on the goal of gaining 10 yards on 3 plays than running futilely into the line twice and then throwing a horseshit pass into traffic on 3rd and 9.

Or maybe I should post BEFORE hitting the Makers Mark, that sounded a lot smarter in my head 😄

It seems like Bobby and Germer place too much emphasis on recruiting huge behemoth O-linemen. How many times do our fans, and even TV announcers drool over the size of our O-linemen? The announcers in the EWU game stated that our line was probably the heaviest line in the country. But these 330 lb. linemen have no footeork or quickness. Lineman that big who can move are not playing at the FCS level, with a rare exception. I would much rather have a 290 lb. O-lineman who could pull, trap-block, and get out on sweeps than 6'7", 330 lb. toad stool.

hunt-ducks said:
jodcon said:

It seems like Bobby and Germer place too much emphasis on recruiting huge behemoth O-linemen. How many times do our fans, and even TV announcers drool over the size of our O-linemen? The announcers in the EWU game stated that our line was probably the heaviest line in the country. But these 330 lb. linemen have no footeork or quickness. Lineman that big who can move are not playing at the FCS level, with a rare exception. I would much rather have a 290 lb. O-lineman who could pull, trap-block, and get out on sweeps than 6'7", 330 lb. toad stool.

One exception to that....Hunter Mayginnes at 6'5", 330 lbs pulls like a mofo...he is beautiful to watch in space and is directly responsible for two TD's pulling and leading the RB, taking out the closest defender and allowing the RB to make the corner of the end zone. I'll be honest I haven't watched Forbes or Pillans or Cook or Beaver all that much....they don't stand out like I believe Mayginnes does. There's a reason he so quickly worked himself into a starting role and others decided to hang up their cleats.

Wolf777 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Well we got a field goal today at least. A 48 yarder to boot, pun intended

Pretty sure we added a TD as well. Better than straight zeros. :D

Yes. Better indeed. And should have been 17 with Robertson’s return negated by a phantom block in the back.

Back