• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Brown

Spanky2

I am not an expert like many on this forum. I did play high school football, but maybe that doesn’t count. I’ve watched Brown play and he appears to be a capable quarterback……smooth motion, average speed. Many say he can’t throw the long ball and none have explained the reasons. I ask the board experts why? 1-sore arm? 2-weak arm? 3-OL won’t block? 4-WR’s won’t catch his passes? 5-he is afraid to throw long? 5-coaches won’t let him throw long? 6-none of the above. Will the experts please answer.

He throws one of the better deep passes I have seen. The issue is likely a combination of confidence and overall offensive issues. He has the ability to throw deep, can he get over the mental hurdle?

He has the arm strength. I'm my opinion, he's on a tight leash. Mentally, he's not fully adjusted to the speed of the game at this level, thanks to inexperience. Also, the wrs struggle to get separation and O line hasn't consistently given either qb enough time to make consistently sound decisions. Hence, why Cam was #1.

All this is on the coaches. Offensively, this team is a mess. We need more diversity, creativity, better personnel utilization, and to get everyone in sync. They need to let Brown grow. Open up the playbook, loosen the reigns, and commit to doing better in every aspect.

Bobby said in post game of the Sac game, we have to do better (not verbatim), just my interpretation.

No expert here either but I think it (kind of) is 5- not afraid, just not confident. There is a reason the highest paid players in the NFL are QB's. It is very difficult. Brown has to get comfortable with his reads, go through his progression and then, the hard part, trust them. He had some guys open but you have a short window to make throws and it will be difficult for him the rest of the year if the coaches can't develop a game plan to get the ball to the playmakers to make them respect a screen or run, any type of run. If the remaining opponents can continue to get pressure with 3 or 4 thus being comfortable with 7 and 8 people back, no QB will be very successful throwing downfield ...

It would be nice to get Child’s or Otsmo back. Harris and Bergen have done a nice job but a big back that handle a blitzing backer might help.
Maybe even a two set backfield to help the offensive line a bit. Maybe roll him out but as it is he really doesn’t have a sustainable pocket to allow things to open up and let er go. IMO Brown has all the skill sets to be a success quarterback but is hamstringed by an offensive coordinator that has yet to design things to help him. Will be interesting to see what offense shows up in Idaho.

Go Griz!!

Freshman QB. That’s reason #1. It’s almost always a mess.

OC needs to fucking help the freshman QB. He is not.

Brown has every attribute to be an unbelievable QB in the future. Big athletic strong arm and very accurate. But it’s never going to look like it as a freshman.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Brown has every attribute to be an unbelievable QB in the future. Big athletic strong arm and very accurate. But it’s never going to look like it as a freshman.

He's a junior. Three years removed from HS.

One Question :am i missing something?, or are the Defensive backs we play against are all-American Cover Freaks, It appears they are all up in our face on every passing attempt. Zero Separation Christ, all of our opponents have people running free in our secondary. I am Screaming "GO DEEP" but as i live alone, no one pays one damn bit of attention, except my dogs. And obviously he Montana Offensive Coaches don't listen. Please Stretch the field, as i recall It is 52 yards wide and 100 Yards long. Run to Daylight...Go Griz; Last time i played the vandals ,we beat em.. (1960)

Griz#64 said:
One Question :am i missing something?, or are the Defensive backs we play against are all-American Cover Freaks, It appears they are all up in our face on every passing attempt. Zero Separation Christ, all of our opponents have people running free in our secondary. I am Screaming "GO DEEP" but as i live alone, no one pays one damn bit of attention, except my dogs. And obviously he Montana Offensive Coaches don't listen. Please Stretch the field, as i recall It is 52 yards wide and 100 Yards long. Run to Daylight...Go Griz; Last time i played the vandals ,we beat em.. (1960)

Holy shit 1960 ! did they pass the ball back then ? :cool:

SIngle Wing,(University of Colorado style but a couple years before the vandals had a couple of tough guys( Wayne Walker and Jerry Cramer) That controlled The LOS...Former Packers under Vince.

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

OC needs to f###[#] help the freshman QB. He is not.

How many competitive games has he participated in since playing at Bozeman Senior High School 3 years ago? These 3rd string guys are not getting real reps with our offense in practice during the season by the way. That’s how it works everywhere. He’s a Junior academically, he a freshman in football.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
How many competitive games has he participated in since playing at Bozeman Senior High School 3 years ago? These 3rd string guys are not getting real reps with our offense in practice during the season by the way. That’s how it works everywhere. He’s a Junior academically, he a freshman in football.

More importantly he’s a junior physically, and he’s been in the same offensive system for three years. Plus, he’s now had two solid weeks of first team reps, and it doesn’t appear to be getting better (and in fact appears to be getting worse)….

Besides, hunt ducks assured us he was miles better than Cam… :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:

More importantly he’s a junior physically, and he’s been in the same offensive system for three years. Plus, he’s now had two solid weeks of first team reps, and it doesn’t appear to be getting better (and in fact appears to be getting worse)….

Besides, hunt ducks assured us he was miles better than Cam… :lol:

The physically thing barely matters anymore.
And 2 weeks of first team reps is hilarious that you think that’s a lot of time to get get ready to play D1 Football at QB. I will laugh with you though at what Duck Hunts said. I have friends that were calling for Cam’s job while we were beating Washington hahahaha!

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Brown has three major issues. First he has no pocket awareness or movement. If you ever watched Cam he is / was really good at moving his feet and sliding around the pocket to give himself more time and to help out his O lineman. It is a huge advantage to the Dline if they know were the QB is going to be when they start the play and Brown just has no movement in the pocket and it is a huge reason why he has had so many sacks and related fumbles.

Second issue is he locks in on the receivers. On the fake spike play at the end of the first half he never even looked at the left side of the field and threw an 8 yard out to the right. If he had looked to the left he would have seen the wide receiver on that side was practically standing in the end zone uncovered. The cornerback on that side never even moved until the receiver was 10 yards past him.

Third issue is confidence. After he threw the interception after we got the fumbled punt he was shot. He needs to move on and make a play. Turnovers are going to happen.

With that I am going to chase elk for a week. Go Griz, Beat the Spuds!!!!!

Brown has plenty of arm strength. We have re-hashed the reasons why he has not looked like Tom Brady many times on here. But few want to give the kid a break for being very young, with only two games of starting experience, a very poor blocking O-line, and offense which doesn't help a young QB by asking him to function in 3-step and 5-step drops and slow-developing WR trees, rather than quick slants, TE drags, and outs, no running game to keep the defenders from pinning their ears back in the rush, and an offensive scheme which looks more like a high school offense.

Yes, Brown does not yet see the field, and secondary receivers well. Yes, Brown occasionally throws into coverage (just like our 6th year 24 year-old QB still does). Give the kid a chance to grow into the position, for Christ's sake!

I have tried to find Jordy Johnson's freshman passing stats from 2010, but can only find that he played in 6 games, completed 52% of his passes, and had two interceptions. Jordy worked-out pretty well in the following three years he started. The verdict is still out on Brown, but jeeez, cut the kid some slack!

hunt-ducks said:
Brown has plenty of arm strength. We have re-hashed the reasons why he has not looked like Tom Brady many times on here. But few want to give the kid a break for being very young, with only two games of starting experience, a very poor blocking O-line, and offense which doesn't help a young QB by asking him to function in 3-step and 5-step drops and slow-developing WR trees, rather than quick slants, TE drags, and outs, no running game to keep the defenders from pinning their ears back in the rush, and an offensive scheme which looks more like a high school offense.

Yes, Brown does not yet see the field, and secondary receivers well. Yes, Brown occasionally throws into coverage (just like our 6th year 24 year-old QB still does). Give the kid a chance to grow into the position, for Christ's sake!

I have tried to find Jordy Johnson's freshman passing stats from 2010, but can only find that he played in 6 games, completed 52% of his passes, and had two interceptions. Jordy worked-out pretty well in the following three years he started. The verdict is still out on Brown, but jeeez, cut the kid some slack!

All true but waiting to see glimmers at least. Give us something to hang hope on.

or

bobby can't recruit QB's

fanofzoo said:
hunt-ducks said:

All true but waiting to see glimmers at least. Give us something to hang hope on.

or

bobby can't recruit QB's

Well, I will admit that Bobby has not had a great record in recruiting QBs. But neither has any of the parade of Bobcat coaches. Have any of you wondered if Montana, or MSU, or any other Big Sky team even knew about, or offered, Eric Barriere? How in the fcuk can a coach recruiting the state of CA miss knowing about this kid?

hunt-ducks said:
fanofzoo said:

or

bobby can't recruit QB's

Well, I will admit that Bobby has not had a great record in recruiting QBs. But neither has any of the parade of Bobcat coaches. Have any of you wondered if Montana, or MSU, or any other Big Sky team even knew about, or offered, Eric Barriere? How in the fcuk can a coach recruiting the state of CA miss knowing about this kid?

Well, I am fairly certain he had offers from Sac, NAU, and UNC also.

hunt-ducks said:

Why, in a year where everything else about this team was championship calibre at the beginning of the year, would you ever want a kid playing QB that has to "grow into the position"? If he (Brown) has all of these shortcomings (which you're just NOW admitting to, despite months of claiming he was the best QB on the roster), isn't that exhibit A for why Cam was starting over him? I think we're seeing right now, in real time, why Brown wasn't the starter.

And FFS, literally EVERY pass he threw against Sac State was within 3 yards of the LOS. When he DID take a 5-step drop he held the ball too long, was sacked, and inevitably fumbles. As 84 pointed out, he has almost zero pocket awareness, doesn't move around, doesn't feel the rush, holds the ball too long, locks in on receivers, etc., etc., and then gets blindsided and fumbles (on three of the four Dixie State sacks, FFS)....ALL these things make the offense (and in particular the offensive line) look WAY worse. And when the defense knows there won't be a pass longer than 5 yards, that makes THEIR job a shitload easier to just pin their ears back and charge in.

UW - 1 sack
WIU - 0 sacks
CP - 2 sacks
EWU - 3 sacks
Dixie State - 4 sacks
Sac State - 4 sacks

the O-line has given up more sacks in Brown's 2 starts than in the four games previous. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And despite all that, I do believe Brown could be a good/great QB someday. That day just isn't today. And another season will be shit down UM's collective leg because we don't have a serviceable backup for the most important position on the field.

fanofzoo said:
Griz#64 said:

Holy shit 1960 ! did they pass the ball back then ? :cool:

Even more fun, they didn't have the kibbe dome.

Back