• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Plagiarism

ilovethecats

Wanted to reach out to the intelligent people of egriz with super-high ID's and get their opinions.

I'm working on a piece about MSU fullback RJ Fitzgerald. I'm a lousy writer but wanted to give it a whirl. Ironically, an actual writer just so happened to want to do a piece on him as well so I feel like I'm walking a slippery slope here. But I have learned a lot about what is ok and what is not ok so hopefully you enjoy this little blip from the story I'm working on:

A doctor told RJ Fitzgerald that he would miss the rest of this season. Fitzgerald wasn’t convinced.

The Montana State football team’s starting fullback dislocated his left elbow in MSU’s Gold Rush game. It certainly looked like a season ender, but a trainer told Fitzgerald he could return in four to six weeks.

Fitzgerald was activated last week, five games after the injury, and he played in MSU’s 13-7 win at Weber State.

*NOT PLAGIARISM*

A doctor told RJ Fitzgerald that he would miss the rest of this season. Fitzgerald wasn’t convinced.

The Montana State football team’s starting fullback dislocated his left elbow in MSU’s Gold Rush game. It certainly looked like a season ender, but a trainer told Fitzgerald he could return in four to six weeks.

Fitzgerald was activated last week, five games after the injury, and he played in MSU’s 13-7 win at Weber State.

THESE ARE MY OWN THOUGHTS!!!!!!

*PLAGIARISM*

If someone with a super huge ID could give me some feedback I'd love it. I don't want to be known as a slimy, lying plagiarist so if you could just walk me in the right direction I think it would go as long way homing my writing craft.

:coffee:

Well as long as as they are your own thoughts. I had help on a Mensa application once but I really knew the answers so all the same really

retiredpopo said:
Well as long as as they are your own thoughts. I had help on a Mensa application once but I really knew the answers so all the same really

Well you're really no help then. I know the collective intelligence of the members here is high. But what I could really use is perhaps a card-carrying Mensa member with an extremely high ID. If anyone of you know such a person please send them my way.

Next time I’m pulled over and I’m asked for my ID, I’ll politely respond, “Of course officer. But I feel it’s important to tell you right up front I’m high”.

I would expect an excellent experience should result.

EverettGriz said:
Next time I’m pulled over and I’m asked for my ID, I’ll politely respond, “Of course officer. But I feel it’s important to tell you right up front I’m high”.

:lol: Nice!

EverettGriz said:

:lol: :lol: :clap:

:clap:
EverettGriz said:

As a general rule, if you aren't trying to plagiarize you aren't doing your job. Ask Stephen Ambrose. Kidding aside,

here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. if it is in the public domain (names, injuries, data), you have a good chunk of protection regardless of the tone or direction to your piece. A good way to protect yourself is to cite or refer to a place that collects that data (ie Bozeman Chronicle or msu's website) to ensure you aren't just swiping data and information from someone elses article.

2. If you do use information found in the article, especially quotes you should ask the person the permission to use them. If they did some pre-existing leg work, (ie interviews) you do need ask them for permission to use those quotes before you do. However again if it come from a public source, such as a press conference, just give credit to whomever posted it.

3. Otherwise tone and tenor and even article idea doesn't really qualify as a plagiarism because it is super difficult to prove intent. So as long as it is either in intent or in direction different, some of the language might be the same because of the commonalities mentioned in #1, you have some lee-way.

At least that is my experience.

Grizfan-24 said:
As a general rule, if you aren't trying to plagiarize you aren't doing your job. Ask Stephen Ambrose. Kidding aside,

I blame Ambrose’s ‘slip-ups’ solely on bourbon and living in Helena.

Grizfan-24 said:

1. if it is in the public domain (names, injuries, data), you have a good chunk of protection regardless of the tone or direction to your piece. A good way to protect yourself is to cite or refer to a place that collects that data (ie Bozeman Chronicle or msu's website) to ensure you aren't just swiping data and information from someone elses article.

2. If you do use information found in the article, especially quotes you should ask the person the permission to use them. If they did some pre-existing leg work, (ie interviews) you do need ask them for permission to use those quotes before you do. However again if it come from a public source, such as a press conference, just give credit to whomever posted it.

3. Otherwise tone and tenor and even article idea doesn't really qualify as a plagiarism because it is super difficult to prove intent. So as long as it is either in intent or in direction different, some of the language might be the same because of the commonalities mentioned in #1, you have some lee-way.

At least that is my experience.

What if, and this is totally hypothetical, you copy/paste exact written words from an article and pass the words off as your own, but don't declare that that you wrote it? In the clear?

Guys hear me out on this. After thinking on it today here’s what I think.

At least that is my experience

:thumb:

ilovethecats said:
Guys hear me out on this. After thinking on it today here’s what I think.

At least that is my experience

:thumb:

Subtle.

I like it.

Montanabob said:
Fk it. Just run with it.

Agreed. Their discussion of the word is just another diversion from admitting that they know nothing about the game of football. When one can't compete, he diverts.

Posting a serious topic on egriz and expecting people with high “ID’s” to help you out, is like taking flying lessons from a pilot who crashed twice before. Best of luck.

Copper Griz said:
Posting a serious topic on egriz and expecting people with high “ID’s” to help you out, is like taking flying lessons from a pilot who crashed twice before. Best of luck.

Appropriately stated. POTY candidate. When reading the original catfan post I arrived at the :eek: super-high IDs comment, I had a mouthful of coffee and nearly lost it all laughing at the catfan :lol:

Back