• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Playoff outlook

Spanky2 said:
EverettGriz said:
They were when Montana beat them. Likewise if eastern loses every game Feom here, they won’t be ranked. Doesn’t change the fact that weebs beat the #2 team.
Helena has changed his tune. Before Montana played Washington, he was raving how we didn’t have a chance against them. Now, the gentleman says the Huskies aren’t any good. Helena must be a politician.

The Huskies aren't in reality very good. And I still think they beat UM 9 out of 10, Griz just caught them on the right day.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
They were when Montana beat them. Likewise if eastern loses every game Feom here, they won’t be ranked. Doesn’t change the fact that weebs beat the #2 team.

I look at it differently and reevaluate at the end with final rankings. Using preseason rankings for basis is useless.

Did Montana beat the 20th ranked team in the nation?

ilovethecats said:
Copper Griz said:
Based on SOS I am not sure UCD gets in Either. That is if the Griz and UCD end up with the same record. I am thinking 4 out of the BSC. Not sure 5 is going to fly AND not sure I agree on MSU deserving a playoff spot if they only win 1 more game. Outside of Weber they would not have a quality win. SOS is pretty putrid.

But we wouldn’t have “bad” losses either. I don’t see any scenario that we lose to Idaho at home. So if we lose two it’d be to a top 10 eastern team and probably a top 10 griz team. Both on the road. I don’t see an 8-3 MSU team missing the playoffs in that scenario.

Love that we control our own destiny though.

You are correct about the Cats not having a bad loss if they beat Idaho (which is going to happen). Not trying to be a jack wipe here. The Cats may run the table. Only pointing out SOS. I just don’t think the tournament committee gives the BSC five teams. That would include the Griz going 7-4. Too many other conferences that would bitch. The rankings will play a part and I hope I am wrong. I think the BSC is the second best conference in the FCS right now. I don’t trust the selection committee.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I look at it differently and reevaluate at the end with final rankings. Using preseason rankings for basis is useless.

If you put any value on preseason rankings, which I don't. I only care about the rankings at the end, and then evaluate.

Copper Griz said:
ilovethecats said:
But we wouldn’t have “bad” losses either. I don’t see any scenario that we lose to Idaho at home. So if we lose two it’d be to a top 10 eastern team and probably a top 10 griz team. Both on the road. I don’t see an 8-3 MSU team missing the playoffs in that scenario.

You are correct about the Cats not having a bad loss if they beat Idaho (which is going to happen). Not trying to be a jack wipe here. The Cats may run the table. Only pointing out SOS. I just don’t think the tournament committee gives the BSC five teams. That would include the Griz going 7-4. Too many other conferences that would bitch. The rankings will play a part and I hope I am wrong. I think the BSC is the second best conference in the FCS right now. I don’t trust the selection committee.

Zero chance the Cats get left out of the playoffs at 8-3. Zero. Also there is a .00000001% chance the Cats lose to Idaho in Bozeman. Cat's have already punched their playoff ticket, just a matter of how high a seed, first round bye, and how many home games.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

If you put any value on preseason rankings, which I don't. I only care about the rankings at the end, and then evaluate.

Same here. I’ve never been wrong.

ilovethecats said:
Copper Griz said:
Based on SOS I am not sure UCD gets in Either. That is if the Griz and UCD end up with the same record. I am thinking 4 out of the BSC. Not sure 5 is going to fly AND not sure I agree on MSU deserving a playoff spot if they only win 1 more game. Outside of Weber they would not have a quality win. SOS is pretty putrid.

It may depend how bad those losses to top 10 teams would be; EWU could go wild after stubbing their toe. And our Washington win might be downgraded, but that Wyoming loss is far less impressive; they just got shut out. Bohl may not survive. MSU still makes the playoffs. Griz will be ready 11/20.

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You two are emotional and soft. I don’t rate teams in the heat of the moment following a season. I wait at least 60 months before I’m ready to truly evaluate a team and their season.

Look for my 2016 final top 20 to be released in February of 2022.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You two are emotional and soft. I don’t rate teams in the heat of the moment following a season. I wait at least 60 months before I’m ready to truly evaluate a team and their season.

Look for my 2016 final top 20 to be released in February of 2022.

:lol: Nice.

poorgriz said:
Copper Griz said:

Zero chance the Cats get left out of the playoffs at 8-3. Zero. Also there is a .00000001% chance the Cats lose to Idaho in Bozeman. Cat's have already punched their playoff ticket, just a matter of how high a seed, first round bye, and how many home games.

Chill. Your team will likely make it. Long way to go their skippy. Don’t be counting the chickens before they hatch. Injuries, bad losses, volcanos. Shit happens. Relax. Likely both Montana teams make it, but who knows. That is why they okay the games

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

By my method, the Sac loss doesn't look as bad.

Unless they lose every game from here on out. I’ll let you know how bad it looks after the season is over. ;)

Copper Griz said:
ilovethecats said:

Ya I get what you’re saying. But in regards to SOS really no one in the conference has much going for them there. That can go either way in the next three weeks but as of now it’s not like there’s any teams in the Big Sky that has played too difficult of a schedule.

The games will obviously matter as Kem pointed out. If we squeak by Idaho and get blasted by EWU and you guys I’m sure that would play a factor in where we land in the playoffs. But even then an 8-3 MSU team won’t be on the outside looking in. And there is nothing I’ve seen so far to think the Cats will get blown out by anyone. Sure we can lose any game for sure. But our style of play and our defense alone is enough for me to think we should be competitive the rest of the way.

ilovethecats said:
Copper Griz said:
Ya I get what you’re saying. But in regards to SOS really no one in the conference has much going for them there. That can go either way in the next three weeks but as of now it’s not like there’s any teams in the Big Sky that has played too difficult of a schedule.

The games will obviously matter as Kem pointed out. If we squeak by Idaho and get blasted by EWU and you guys I’m sure that would play a factor in where we land in the playoffs. But even then an 8-3 MSU team won’t be on the outside looking in. And there is nothing I’ve seen so far to think the Cats will get blown out by anyone. Sure we can lose any game for sure. But our style of play and our defense alone is enough for me to think we should be competitive the rest of the way.
Your defense is based on the front and rush defense. Pass defense not so much. Where do you expect Barriere to attack? He is a load to contain for 4 quarters as we found out. That aside, SacSt may be the best team in the BSC and has an inside track to a perfect conf record. UCD looks like their only hurdle. Our losses to EWU and SacSt could look pretty good.

Copper Griz said:
poorgriz said:

Chill. Your team will likely make it. Long way to go their skippy. Don’t be counting the chickens before they hatch. Injuries, bad losses, volcanos. Shit happens. Relax. Likely both Montana teams make it, but who knows. That is why they okay the games

Look, I'm not saying the Cats are on the fast track to Frisco... (Like half of griz nation did after you beat udub), there are still a lot of games and a lot of ways things can shake out. All I was posting about was somebody saying the Cats might not make the playoff field this year. As I pointed out, that is almost a mathematical impossibility. With the Cat's depth, I literally think we could play just 2nd and 3rd stringers and still beat Idaho. They are the absolute shits, and we play them in Bozeman. Cats punched their playoff ticket two days ago. Unlike Idaho, ISU actually had a sliver of a chance if they would have played their best game of the season and Cats played their worst. Even if that happens with Idaho we beat them by 20.

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:

Your defense is based on the front and rush defense. Pass defense not so much. Where do you expect Barriere to attack? He is a load to contain for 4 quarters as we found out. That aside, SacSt may be the best team in the BSC and has an inside track to a perfect conf record. UCD looks like their only hurdle. Our losses to EWU and SacSt could look pretty good.
I have been more than happy with our pass defense. What have you seen to think we’re not very good there.

Eastern will most definitely attack them. They have the best qb in the nation. I fully expect them to pass a lot.

Sac definitely has the inside track to the conference title. Aside from playing Davis, (who I’m not convinced is that amazing) they should easily win their remaining games. I’m just not as convinced they are that great. I see where you’re coming from as they beat you guys, but they really haven’t played anyone either. That’s been my whole point with our stupid conference alignment. We don’t all play each other and no one has played that difficult of a schedule. Except I guess you could make a case for Weber and even that is speculation.

It will clear up a lot more in the coming weeks.

poorgriz said:
Copper Griz said:

Look, I'm not saying the Cats are on the fast track to Frisco... (Like half of griz nation did after you beat udub), there are still a lot of games and a lot of ways things can shake out. All I was posting about was somebody saying the Cats might not make the playoff field this year. As I pointed out, that is almost a mathematical impossibility. With the Cat's depth, I literally think we could play just 2nd and 3rd stringers and still beat Idaho. They are the absolute shits, and we play them in Bozeman. Cats punched their playoff ticket two days ago. Unlike Idaho, ISU actually had a sliver of a chance if they would have played their best game of the season and Cats played their worst. Even if that happens with Idaho we beat them by 20.
5rtn7w.jpg

Back