• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sam Herder’s Brawl Write Up

He IS an NDSU grad, you know. He is very knowledgeable about FCS, but can't keep his NDSU bias out of anything he writes. And, he picked the Cats to win last Saturday.

Great article. However, he obviously didn't get near the field, for a truer noise evaluation. I've sat in lower level seats. The noise is much louder near the field. I challenge Herder to return to Griz Cat in 2023 and be on either sideline!

AZGrizFan said:
Jesse said:
So where was he out of line about NDSU? They have dominated for a decade and they are still the team to beat and they aren’t going anywhere. You remind me of the dweebs over on bobcatnation who were just shocked I say, shocked by Frank’s last question to Vigen about Junior Bergen after the brawl. I thought the article was spot on and really hyped up the Griz program even if he mentioned the bison every second sentence. Good job Sam and thanks for the recognition.

FIFY
Did you get your ass kicked in college by someone from NDSU? Give it rest, if you have any objectivity in your football prowess you should realize they are still the dominate force in the FCS and will continue to be so since JMU and SHSU are leaving. Griz and Cats need to step it up and fill the vacuum left and take them down. Friend of my from UM days pointed out that the Griz started their rise to dominance in the bsc only after Boise, Reno and Idaho moved up. Same thing here. What is with the blind hatred of the Bison about other then they have dominated for a decade. You look foolish when you constantly whine about them because they were mentioned “every second sentence” in an article about the brawl and the future of the fcs. Still really liked the article thought it was great how he called Wagriz the Mecca of the fcs.

floridagriz15 said:
Not a horrible write up but agreed he needs to hop off the NDSU train. By his own admission this was his first trip to WaGriz which if you’re going to be an FCS reporter you should probably start your career the first year with trying to make it to the best venues and fan bases to actually get a feel for what FCS Football and it’s rivalries are all about...

I believe Sam is an NDSU alumni and covered the football team while in school as well. I know journalists effort to be impartial, but that is also mostly who Sam has covered since graduating as well.

I’m not making excuses, just that the….tone(?) of the writing isn’t surprising to me.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
floridagriz15 said:
Not a horrible write up but agreed he needs to hop off the NDSU train. By his own admission this was his first trip to WaGriz which if you’re going to be an FCS reporter you should probably start your career the first year with trying to make it to the best venues and fan bases to actually get a feel for what FCS Football and it’s rivalries are all about...
I believe Sam is an NDSU alumni and covered the football team while in school as well. I know journalists effort to be impartial, but that is also mostly who Sam has covered since graduating as well.

I’m not making excuses, just that the….tone(?) of the writing isn’t surprising to me.
Haven't you heard? "Modern" journalism considers objective impartiality to be passé ... old-fashioned, almost antediluvian. "New journalism" considers the story to be the most important part, with the "reporter" taking an active role and perhaps even being the center of story (i.e., his/her personal reactions to what he/she thinks is going on). [If you think I'm exaggerating, just google the phrase.]

IdaGriz01 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Haven't you heard? "Modern" journalism considers objective impartiality to be passé ... old-fashioned, almost antediluvian. "New journalism" considers the story to be the most important part, with the "reporter" taking an active role and perhaps even being the center of story (i.e., his/her personal reactions to what he/she thinks is going on). [If you think I'm exaggerating, just google the phrase.]
Holy hell, are you saying his piece was “fake news”? That rat bastard writing an opinion piece and including his opinions about his first brawl of the wild experience and the FCS. Why are you all so sensitive about the shit that doesn’t matter? Griz dominated, end of story. Oh yeah NDSU is still a level above everyone else until they aren’t which we might have a chance to prove it. Until then quit complaining like the fellas over at bobcat nation who think colter is a complete hack because he graduated from UM and treats Bobby nice and Vigen bad. Lol

CDAGRIZ said:
I’d love to read his “tier 1” of FCS programs.

What's wrong exactly with this article? He's right, UM & MSU aren't tier 1 programs over the last ten years at all. NDSU, Sam Houston, EWU, James Madison would be my picks based on semifinal appearances. MSU, SDSU, Weebs & UM are all fighting to get into the top tier. I like UM & MSU's progression & believe they'll both be there soon. It's too bad we're losing JM & SHS though. Hope both programs get to send them off with a big L.

Bear Spray said:
CDAGRIZ said:

What's wrong exactly with this article? He's right, UM & MSU aren't tier 1 programs over the last ten years at all. NDSU, Sam Houston, EWU, James Madison would be my picks based on semifinal appearances. MSU, SDSU, Weebs & UM are all fighting to get into the top tier. I like UM & MSU's progression & believe they'll both be there soon. It's too bad we're losing JM & SHS though. Hope both programs get to send them off with a big L.

I guess if your “tiers” only include 4 programs, I agree. Again, I’d love to see his “tiers”. My guess: Kinda MVFPCFTPF heavy.

get'em_griz said:
Good write up overall, but if he truly wanted to compare the noise level, he needed to be at field level to do it. The noise on the field is much, much louder than it is up in the press box.

In the fargodome, it sounds the same everywhere because there’s a thing called a metal roof keeping the sound enclosed.

It really is. I was in ROTC and used to Present the Colors before the game, only twice, but even when people would cheer after the Anthem was over, you REALLY had to yell just so the four person group could hear your commands and move in unison.

This was also before any expansions, just grassy knolls on the end zones. Still way loud.

Jesse said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Holy hell, are you saying his piece was “fake news”? That rat bastard writing an opinion piece and including his opinions about his first brawl of the wild experience and the FCS. ...
Actually, I have absolutely no problem with the article. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. I was simply reacting to the comment about "impartial" reporting (or lack thereof). [Unfortunately, that part didn't make it thru the quote within a quote feature.]

And no, it's not "fake news." But then it's not news either, in the normal use of that term. It is, as you point out, an "opinion piece" ... a perfectly legitimate form of writing. That was obvious right from the first line, and really almost from the title alone.

In that context, he said a lot of good things about the WaGriz experience and the importance of the Griz in terms of FCS football. That's what Hero Sports does, BTW. If you read their "About" item, you'll see "dedicated to college football, with an emphasis on FCS coverage." Far as I'm concerned, "it's all good."

Bear Spray said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Like our 54-28 beatdown of BSU in 1995 on our way to the NC.

Jesse said:
AZGrizFan said:
Did you get your ass kicked in college by someone from NDSU? Give it rest, if you have any objectivity in your football prowess you should realize they are still the dominate force in the FCS and will continue to be so since JMU and SHSU are leaving. Griz and Cats need to step it up and fill the vacuum left and take them down. Friend of my from UM days pointed out that the Griz started their rise to dominance in the bsc only after Boise, Reno and Idaho moved up. Same thing here. What is with the blind hatred of the Bison about other then they have dominated for a decade. You look foolish when you constantly whine about them because they were mentioned “every second sentence” in an article about the brawl and the future of the fcs. Still really liked the article thought it was great how he called Wagriz the Mecca of the fcs.

Your friend knows even less about football than you, a truly remarkable achievement.

EverettGriz said:
Jesse said:

Your friend knows even less about football than you, a truly remarkable achievement.

True. Our first championship in 1995 was before Boise or Idaho moved up.

Jesse said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wow. Triggered much? :lol: :lol:

I'm not really a fan of Sam Herder but in this case he was correct. Neither UM or MSU are currently in the top tier of fcs teams. It's basically NDSU, Sam Houston and JMU. Not sure how anybody can argue that point. I expect the Griz to join NDSU as the two main powers in fcs within a season or two.

MikeyGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

True. Our first championship in 1995 was before Boise or Idaho moved up.

Gee Mikey are you sure you understood what he said the—Griz didn’t really rise to dominance in the big sky conference until they left. He suffered through the 80’s and early 90’s and he was commenting on the bsc chippers not on national chippers.

Idaho: from 1964-96 (32 yrs) 8 bsc chippers

Reno: from 1979-92 (13 yrs) 4 bsc chippers

Boise: from 1970-95 (25 yrs) 6 bsc chippers
Griz during that period same period 1963-96 (33 yrs)-7 bsc chippers, and

Griz: from 1997-2009 (12 yrs) 11 chippers

I understood his comment to mean that the rise to dominance took place in the years after they left. They rose to dominance in the bsc over a period of about 14 years from 1995-2009, from 1963-96 not so dominate. How is he wrong?

grizingatorland said:
I'm not really a fan of Sam Herder but in this case he was correct. Neither UM or MSU are currently in the top tier of fcs teams. It's basically NDSU, Sam Houston and JMU. Not sure how anybody can argue that point. I expect the Griz to join NDSU as the two main powers in fcs within a season or two.

I think the fellas were butthurt because he mentioned them in our brawl article, it was our time not ndsu and because he’s a journalist from ndsu.

Jesse said:
grizingatorland said:

I think the fellas were butthurt because he mentioned them in our brawl article, it was our time not ndsu and because he’s a journalist from ndsu.

“Our”. That’s fucking hilarious.

As for Sam ndsu Herder, it’s only surprising he didn’t type, “I was in Missoula this weekend. but ndsu won by 6,000 in their game!!. Did I mention the bizzzzzon are really good?!?! Ndsu is the fcs. Loudest place on the planet. Does everyone love that green and puke yellow?? Ndsu plays in a DOME!!! Ndsu is GREAT!! Had a Mo Club burger”.

Back