• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lucas Johnson Scouting Report?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has really looked much into Lucas Johnson? I know their was a thread, but I was hoping somebody went through and maybe could really point out his strengths and weaknesses?

From what I can tell, there are a lot of really good things. Again, this is just looking at stats and the one bowl game, so take it with a grain of salt.

Strengths:
#1. Size. Dude is 6'3" 215. He looks like he can take punishment, but hopefully doesn't have to.
#2. Arm Talent. He seems like he has the ability to make every throw with his arm strength.
#3. Mobility. In the bowl game he looked like he was really good at moving when the pocket started to collapse. He also escapes while looking to throw instead of just looking to run, eyes always seem downfield. He also can make off schedule and off platform throws. This is something I thought Cam did well this year.
#4. Big Game Experience: His first game this year he came in and beat Utah. Granted, he wasn't awesome that game, but he beat a pretty decent Utah team without any warm up games. He also played arguably the best game of his career in the final bowl game. I think this guy won't fazed playing in money games like Washington this last year or high atmosphere games like the Brawl.

Weaknesses
#1. Accuracy: He doesn't seem like the most accurate passer. Low 60% in the MWC isn't bad, but it definitely isn't his greatest asset. I hope he can come in during the spring and build a relationship with the receivers to the point where his accuracy can improve a decent bit.
#2. Scrambles to Quickly: While his ability to escape seems like a strength, I think he frequently goes to it to fast. It's not that he doesn't go through his progressions, but it seems that he looks for his first read, then decides to escape while going to his second or third reads. This works ok, but it also limits his field of play to whichever half he escapes to.
#3. Lack of Experience: It is concerning to me that he has transferred now twice and only found about 3/4 of a season worth of starting. And with those starts it was very streaky, some highs and lows for sure. Granted, it turned into a lot of wins for SDSU at the FBS level, but it is concerning nonetheless that he couldn't win the job at the beginning of the year at the G5 level.
#4. Game Manager Mentality: While he is streaky and can look really good, a lot of his statistics throughout the year looked like a quarterback who is willing to dink and dunk his way to 120 yards and a win. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't speak to a fiery mentality in my mind.

These are just a few thoughts, hoping someone can shed a more educated light on this than some kid who played 8 man offensive and defensive line 10 years ago.

AZGrizFan said:

Yes, I understand that. He wasn't a part of all of those though and while I can tell he really helped them win, winning is a team statistic, albeit one that the QB has a large hand in. I was wondering more about him as an individual player than their team success as a whole.

RockyGriz8844 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes, I understand that. He wasn't a part of all of those though and while I can tell he really helped them win, winning is a team statistic, albeit one that the QB has a large hand in. I was wondering more about him as an individual player than their team success as a whole.

Well he’s light years ahead (talent wise) of anything we had on the roster last year or this coming year, IMHO. And all your stats are against MWC competition. He may not be the 2nd coming of Craig Ochs, but he’ll be a massive upgrade, at the perfect time. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
RockyGriz8844 said:

Well he’s light years ahead (talent wise) of anything we had on the roster last year or this coming year, IMHO. And all your stats are against MWC competition. He may not be the 2nd coming of Craig Ochs, but he’ll be a massive upgrade, at the perfect time. :thumb:

Thanks AZ, I agree that he seems to be pretty darned good, especially for a 1 year bridge. I'm just hoping that he can lead us where we need to be and then Britt, Huot, or any other young homegrown QB can take the reigns the next year. Things are looking bright!

RockyGriz8844 said:
Granted, it turned into a lot of wins for SDSU at the FBS level, but it is concerning nonetheless that he couldn't win the job at the beginning of the year at the G5 level. .
Do you think he would be at Montana today had he done that?

RockyGriz8844 said:
#4. Game Manager Mentality: While he is streaky and can look really good, a lot of his statistics throughout the year looked like a quarterback who is willing to dink and dunk his way to 120 yards and a win. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't speak to a fiery mentality in my mind.
Recognize where he was playing. SDSU is a strong run-first team. They don't believe in throwing for 300 yards, nor does Montana for that matter. He did it in the bowl game because they had to. Beating Utah any way you could was huge, the best team in the PAC.

kemajic said:
RockyGriz8844 said:
Recognize where he was playing. SDSU is a strong run-first team. They don't believe in throwing for 300 yards, nor does Montana for that matter. He did it in the bowl game because they had to. Beating Utah any way you could was huge, the best team in the PAC.

Exactly.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Exactly.

All you need to understand about eGriz is it's loaded with posters who, if served a 5 star, seven course meal while dining with a gorgeous actress, would still complain the portions were too small, the candle light too dim, the waiter too friendly, and the date too horny.

horribilisfan8184 said:
AZGrizFan said:

All you need to understand about eGriz is it's loaded with posters who, if served a 5 star, seven course meal while dining with a gorgeous actress, would still complain the portions were too small, the candle light too dim, the waiter too friendly, and the date too horny.

But still, the same predictions for greatness were made by Bobcat followers when they signed a 4-star QB from North Carolina State. How did that work out? Bottom line is that nobody knows how good he will be until he suits up in Missoula. But I forgot that there are many QB experts on egriz whose opinions are gold.

LaJollaGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

But still, the same predictions for greatness were made by Bobcat followers when they signed a 4-star QB from North Carolina State. How did that work out? Bottom line is that nobody knows how good he will be until he suits up in Missoula. But I forgot that there are many QB experts on egriz whose opinions are gold.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at La Jolla, again no offense horribillis, I'm not complaining. I am actually really excited. That's why I posted this. I just want to get as much information as I can on a guy I think was a huge get. Again, I put what were my observations, I'm not working for ESPN or Fox Sports. I hope this guy can bring us to the promise land and think that he has the capabilities, but I assume a lot of people thought that about Mckay for MSU. I'm sure if someone had really dove into his film they could have seen the things that made him an ok, not great QB, just wasn't sure if someone knew more about Johnson than me.

LaJollaGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

I don't know about greatness. At least not that I heard. Many of us were however excited about him, and were hopeful he was the missing piece to get us to Frisco.

When it became clear he wasn't (as I'm sure you're alluding to with this comment), I guess we were all guilty of "ragging" on him and "writing him off" as well.

Some guys work out. Others don't. I have seen people high on Brown over here. I have others not so much. Haven't heard anyone be too over the top one way or another. Seems like you want one set of rules for others than you do for Brown.

Oops, I posted here again. I'm so embarrassed. :oops:

HelenaHandBasket said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Bottom line is that nobody knows how good he will be until he suits up in Missoula.

Does that apply to Kris Brown also?
I don't belive so, no.

What I have gathered is that pointing out stats in favor of Brown over Humphrey is in fact NOT ragging on Humphrey. But oddly enough, pointing out stats that favor Humphrey or possibly one of your new QB's over Brown IS, for some reason ragging on Brown.

It's odd, but this seems to be one of those situations where all is not equal. Not sure why, but it's just how it is. :cool:

LaJollaGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Not really an apple-apple comparison. Bobcat preseason all-American FCS champ chest pounding predictions cannot be compared to eGriz pre-arrival Eeyoreish gloom and woe exclamations, unless your point is to compare blind optimists with sour pessimists, which is my point.

Watched nearly every Aztec game. The Aztec offense was torture to watch, defense carried the team to their 12 wins. The woes on the offensive side of the ball was not LJ's fault, those fall primarily on the OC, who lacks creativity and was extremely predictable. Lucas is a good leader laden with maturity who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Can be inaccurate at times, and throws against his body too much. That being said, he is a big upgrade from Humphrey, is super fast and will pick up lots of yards with his feet. I have very little doubt that he will put up good numbers for us and lead us far into the playoffs. He should excel here.

LaJollaGriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Had that 4 star been a starting QB at NC State?

I haven't seen him play first hand (because who really wanted to travel to Carson this year), but the general consensus was that Hoke screwed up by not committing to Johnson next year. They have another top tier former San Diego area QB transferring back in (former Va Tech kid) but Hoke basically said nothing was guaranteed to his duo of senior QB's for next year. So both Brookshire and Johnson hit the portal with an extra year. Most felt that of the two Senior QB's, Johnson was the vastly superior kid, and it was a bit curious as to why Hoke went with Brookshire first (he was brutal in his first couple of games, and got hurt).

Yes SDSU is run first and for much of the year they couldn't get out of their way offensively a lot of the year and it cost them a couple of games they should have won. A lot of mistakes, inopportune turnovers and some questionable playcalling.

Johnson has been a part of two programs who had a pretty limited offensive upside, but within that he still managed to be more than competent in the time he had. Georgia Tech was a dumpster fire of monumental proportions and SDSU was missing a lot of pieces at WR and on the OL for much of the year. He has a plus arm, pretty smart kid, and is a significant upgrade in mobility than what we had in Humphrey. Jury is still out as to whether that is going to guarantee that it'll translate to success and wins, but what I do know is that he'll have weapons and tools that he didn't have a lot of in his career. I think it is an excellent pick up by the Griz and I don't think it'll take long to see why the program was more than happy to bring him in.

We were damn good this year when Humphrey was healthy, so if this kid is better and more durable there's not much more we could ask for from a QB.

Back