• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 Offense/Defense

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Brown had plenty of game time to prove himself up to the task. He got pulled in the biggest game of his life after going 1/5 with a sack. Whether he is QB1 or not has nothing to do with peoples’ opinions of Humphrey (good or bad).

Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes. I love it how all of the experts on here write off a kid who has only started a few games in his career. You keep saying it was his third year in the system, but he got no playing time until this season. Cam played college football for six years, and started in many games in JC and at Montana. I hope you posters who have written off Brown eat your words. He is a great kid, and deserves to have the respect of people who claim to be Griz fans. The coaches will decide if he is the answer next season at QB, not you arm chair coaches

Simple answer: lots of running back swing passes and other short routes with very high completion rates.

I am still hopeful Brown can redeem himself, but he showed little to no growth last season with quite a bit of opportunity. The season culminated in Brown being benched in a quarterfinal game for a QB that isn't a great passer.

Let me start by saying, I was on the Brown bandwagon early, based purely on physical skills. I'm also pulling for him to prove doubters wrong.

With that said, the harsh reality is, he's in a sense in a qb doghouse. His season ended as horribly as a season could for a #2 qb, with a coaches decision to bench him.

Couple that with costly sacks, fumbles in the pocket, and even forced passes. Some here are being rather realistic regarding his qb future. Also, if you ever talk to most GRIZ coaches about qb next season, without prompting any names, their talking up Johnson for this coming season, and Britt after next season.

For it to play out any other way, another qb will have to step up and perform well, or forced in from injuries. If Brown can dramatically improve his awareness, then indeed, he'll earn opportunity. If he doesn't, then a position change or leaving the program makes sense.

Let's hope the coaches are right about Johnson,Britt and Huot, moving forward. Huot is likely to redshirt. I see the plan as Britt to start 3 years, then hopefully Huot. Of course, Hauck will be bringing in 1 qb per class moving forward, and add transfers, if they can improve the team.

Just my outlook of qb. Agree or disagre,, however you like.

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Brown had plenty of game time to prove himself up to the task. He got pulled in the biggest game of his life after going 1/5 with a sack. Whether he is QB1 or not has nothing to do with peoples’ opinions of Humphrey (good or bad).

Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes.
This is one of those times where "box-scoring" can be so misleading.

In general, you're right that 65% is better than 60%, but I'll do you one better. Brown was an astounding 80.6% completion in a game this season, which is apparently incredible.

The problem was apparent, though, if you look into the details:

His 5.2 yards/attempt was the lowest total of the season outside of the Udub game.
He had 2 awful turnovers, one right after a huge fumble recovery.
On 3rd down:
  • He was 7-9 for just 38 yards
  • 5 of his 7 completions were short of the 1st down marker
  • With an average of 7.1 yards to go on 3rd downs, he averaged 5.4 yards per completion
  • He took 2 sacks (one of which he fell forward and gained a yard, so technically not recorded as a sack)

That's 78% completion percentage on 3rd downs, and yet it was entirely ineffective, and one of the main reasons we lost to Sac State.

I don't wanna dog pile the kid, but anyone watching saw a guy who just wasn't ready for the UM QB job. If he doesn't switch positions like some are alleging, I hope he can figure it out, because he has all the physical tools. But the JMU game solidified for me that he has an extremely long way to go.

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes. I love it how all of the experts on here write off a kid who has only started a few games in his career. You keep saying it was his third year in the system, but he got no playing time until this season. Cam played college football for six years, and started in many games in JC and at Montana. I hope you posters who have written off Brown eat your words. He is a great kid, and deserves to have the respect of people who claim to be Griz fans. The coaches will decide if he is the answer next season at QB, not you arm chair coaches

I knew this was you. :lol: :lol:

uofmman1122 said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Brown's completion percentage for the season was higher than Humphrey's, 65% to 60%. How do you explain that? How many first time QB starters in any program across the country would be criticized for having a 65% completion percentage? There are many senior starting QBs across the country who don't complete 65% of their passes.
This is one of those times where "box-scoring" can be so misleading.

In general, you're right that 65% is better than 60%, but I'll do you one better. Brown was an astounding 80.6% completion in a game this season, which is apparently incredible.

The problem was apparent, though, if you look into the details:

His 5.2 yards/attempt was the lowest total of the season outside of the Udub game.
He had 2 awful turnovers, one right after a huge fumble recovery.
On 3rd down:
  • He was 7-9 for just 38 yards
  • 5 of his 7 completions were short of the 1st down marker
  • With an average of 7.1 yards to go on 3rd downs, he averaged 5.4 yards per completion
  • He took 2 sacks (one of which he fell forward and gained a yard, so technically not recorded as a sack)

That's 78% completion percentage on 3rd downs, and yet it was entirely ineffective, and one of the main reasons we lost to Sac State.

I don't wanna dog pile the kid, but anyone watching saw a guy who just wasn't ready for the UM QB job. If he doesn't switch positions like some are alleging, I hope he can figure it out, because he has all the physical tools. But the JMU game solidified for me that he has an extremely long way to go.

Facts schmacts. :lol: :lol:

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Humphries threw for more yards per game, more yards per pass, and more yards per completion. He was 16-7 Td/int and Brown was 3/4. How do you explain that?

And please don't use experience or time at starter or anything like that; your statement was that Brown is the better passer. I don't give a tuppany f#@k about who has played more. You need to back up the statement that Brown is the better passer. This is not a shot on Chris Brown, if he's the starter next year I'll cheer my ass off and support the Griz in the maroon coloured glasses way I always do. I'm just tired of going on the internet and reading statements that people make assuming they will never have to back them up. By your argument Deshaun Watson is the best thrower in NFL history.
PS: Not to beat the post Christmas rush but I knew who you were half way through your second post. :roll:

…..whatever happens, I hope KB12 stays a Griz. He is a great athlete and an even better young man. Great family as well. I know his dad well and they are folks we should be proud are part of Griz Nation.

Raider said:
…..whatever happens, I hope KB12 stays a Griz. He is a great athlete and an even better young man. Great family as well. I know his dad well and they are folks we should be proud are part of Griz Nation.

Thank you Raider. But don't deter these great Griz fans who have already written him off. Every fan base needs more of this type of fan. :roll:

I urge all of you good fans to continue ragging on Kris. I am sure he appreciates knowing the support he receives from all of you. The coaches love it too. I am done.

LaJollaGriz said:
I urge all of you good fans to continue ragging on Kris. I am sure he appreciates knowing the support he receives from all of you. The coaches love it too. I am done.
You shouldn't be, you look like a petulant little coward. You come on here and make a statement. I question you on it. You back up your statement with "he's got a higher completion percentage". I show you all the other stats that he's not better at and ask you to explain why you cherry picked this one stat.
Again I'm not ragging on Kris Brown and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that, I'm calling you out for talking out your ass and not being able to back it up.
In fact, you're the one who said that Kris can't handle pressure or read defenses. That's insulting as hell to any athlete, but yeah, you are the one giving him support?

SaskGriz said:
LaJollaGriz said:
You shouldn't be, you look like a petulant little coward. You come on here and make a statement. I question you on it. You back up your statement with "he's got a higher completion percentage". I show you all the other stats that he's not better at and ask you to explain why you cherry picked this one stat.
Again I'm not ragging on Chris Brown and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that, I'm calling you out for talking out your ass and not being able to back it up.
In fact, you're the one who said that Chris can't handle pressure or read defenses. That's insulting as hell to any athlete, but yeah, you are the one giving him support?

Not knowing how to spell his first name probably a little insulting too! :thumb: :thumb:

Mousegriz said:
SaskGriz said:
Again I'm not ragging on Chris Brown and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that, I'm calling you out for talking out your ass and not being able to back it up.
In fact, you're the one who said that Chris can't handle pressure or read defenses. That's insulting as hell to any athlete, but yeah, you are the one giving him support?

Not knowing how to spell his first name probably a little insulting too! :thumb: :thumb:
True that, my bad. Fixed it. Statement still stands.

SaskGriz said:
Mousegriz said:

More important to know everything else about him like so many on here. Crazy how much good stuff we all heard about him from the local experts when they thought he should be starting over Humphrey even after the Washington win.

I've got a question......Why did Griz run a goofy double motion run up the gut on Brown's first play vs. JMU on ......run a damn QB sneak for a yard, get the kid hit once and into the game.....and maybe even a first down!

Then next series he runs for his life and misses a couple passes.....and Bobby throws in the towel at halftime. Now it's on to Britt or Huot. I hear they look as good as Brown did last spring and early this fall.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
I agree this team has big potential next year. I know there's been a lot of people concerned about the O-line and I get it, but I'm kind of of the opinion that it was more about having all freshmen RB's and their inexperience as opposed to the O-line not being that great. Having a healthy Knight and Ostmo is going to make IMO a world of a difference in the offense and will take a weight off the O-line and QB's shoulders. I liked the post I saw a couple weeks ago (I think it was dayday) that said we could probably win 8 games alone just direct snapping the ball to Knight and Ostmo. Getting the second Mayginnes brother definitely helps, and I'm sure we'll end up getting one or two more guys on the line, but I really like the current makeup of this team with Knight back and Johnson at QB. The defense will just continue to be as dominant as it was last year.

There is a reason NFL running backs average less in salary than NFL punters and kickers...

It is not about the quality of the backs - it is the quality of the line. What will the excuse be next season?

Don't do that "running backs are not that important" crap. If you have a dominant back, like Knight, everything changes. The passing game gets better, the running game gets better, the QB gets better, and the O-Line gets better. Knight made the 2019 O-Line look very good statistically. The reality was that the 2021 O-Line was even better, but could not produce on 1st downs, 3rd downs, or in the red-zone nearly as well. Why was that? I think the running back situation had a lot to do with it. Now, having said all that. . .it is very true that a solid O-Line will absolutely make a team better. But. . .they still need a quality running back to hit the holes and make things happen. It will be great to have Knight back with a solid O-Line. Could be special.

LaJollaGriz said:

I guess you're definition of ragging is different than most. Ragging.isnt pointing out reasons why, he might not see much qb time. In my opinion, critical and mostly accurate criticism.
I don't see anyone here truly ragging on him. Many here, want him to succeed, despite their current doubts.

Mousegriz said:
SaskGriz said:

More important to know everything else about him like so many on here. Crazy how much good stuff we all heard about him from the local experts when they thought he should be starting over Humphrey even after the Washington win.

I've got a question......Why did Griz run a goofy double motion run up the gut on Brown's first play vs. JMU on ......run a damn QB sneak for a yard, get the kid hit once and into the game.....and maybe even a first down!

Then next series he runs for his life and misses a couple passes.....and Bobby throws in the towel at halftime. Now it's on to Britt or Huot. I hear they look as good as Brown did last spring and early this fall.
My, so the whole world is against Brown. Not fair!

SaskGriz said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Again I'm not ragging on Kris Brown and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that, I'm calling you out for talking out your ass and not being able to back it up.
In fact, you're the one who said that Kris can't handle pressure or read defenses. That's insulting as hell to any athlete, but yeah, you are the one giving him support?
Hey, wack-a-mole pussy. Fine, I spelled Kris's name wrong, that's on me. "He's the better passer." Back it up, you hump.

SaskGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
Hey, wack-a-mole pussy. Fine, I spelled Kris's name wrong, that's on me. "He's the better passer." Back it up, you hump.

You are an immature individual. You show your true colors on here, about 20 times a day. You need to know that a couple of the Griz coaches read your crap, and wish you would find another team to support.

LaJollaGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

You are an immature individual. You show your true colors on here, about 20 times a day. You need to know that a couple of the Griz coaches read your crap, and wish you would find another team to support.
Your first statement is 100% correct, I've got three ex-wives and an underfunded 301K to back that up. Can't comment on the second fragment of a sentence but at my age if I do anything 20 times a day it's probably in the bathroom and it's not what I wish I was doing. To your third point, I'm glad my stuff gets read and since they are reading this; I'm monogamous in my support.
Now back to your comment that Kris Brown is the better passer than Cam Humphrey; other than completion percentage you still haven't backed up that statement. What I'm searching for here, are facts or reasons and I don't see you providing them.

Remember when you back up your statement, as you have mentioned, "a couple of the Griz coaches read...." so you will have an audience.

SaskGriz said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Your first statement is 100% correct, I've got three ex-wives and an underfunded 301K to back that up. Can't comment on the second fragment of a sentence but at my age if I do anything 20 times a day it's probably in the bathroom and it's not what I wish I was doing. To your third point, I'm glad my stuff gets read and since they are reading this; I'm monogamous in my support.
Now back to your comment that Kris Brown is the better passer than Cam Humphrey; other than completion percentage you still haven't backed up that statement. What I'm searching for here, are facts or reasons and I don't see you providing them.

Remember when you back up your statement, as you have mentioned, "a couple of the Griz coaches read...." so you will have an audience.
Humphrey carried the Griz offense when he was in there and always had them in the game with a chance to win. He had the confidence of the players and the coaches. Brown not so much; the game was too fast for him. The Griz coaches lost confidence in him and it showed in spades in the JMU game. The Griz coaches know football and QB play better than anyone on this site. And maybe anyone in Canada other than DD.

Back