• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Practice Bubble?

kemajic said:
Cowboys84 said:
Why wasn't the priority on funding for a a permanent structure set in place 5, 10 or even 15-20 years ago so you have the money to build like what SDSU, und and ndsu have...
Because the priorities set in place 5, 10 or even 15-20 years ago had an academic center, a champion's center and locker room improvements ahead of it, which have been methodically executed. This is an outstanding facility improvement plan for a financially struggling university. Haslam and the donors deserve a lot of credit, not your whining.

What he said. :agree:

KILO217 said:
An indoor practice facility will be a Great addition to the Grizzly athletic facilities and we will benefit from it next season. These bubbles are durable and numerous universities utilize them. Iowa used theirs for 20+ years, so if UM gets this to use for the next 5-10 years while collecting the necessary funds for a permanent facilty, it will prove advantageous. Here's a link for an example of a football facility bubble:

https://youtu.be/ezX4924cav0

NOW I’M WORRIED......
Mr. Worry Wart here. Ok we all know that the current city administration has pledged to be carbon neutral by the year 2035. This may not seem like something to get all consumed over but here’s the deal. New businesses that wish to relocate or up their usage of electricity will have to provide for carbon offset credits to accommodate additional consumption of power. While I don’t know what the consumption rate of the new practice bubble will be but to provide enough juice to feed the inflation of the bubble and to provide heat and air conditioning could cause the city to deny a building permit unless the University athletic Dept. is able to provide equivalent energy credits to offset power usage which could be expensive.
Ok take this with a grain of salt but it does speak to how government, specifically local government is dictating how what we can do and cannot do in our lives. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for carbon neutrality but there’s a point where common sense should prevail. Should the preceding event occur, denial of a building permit, then the longer term benefits to the community goes by the wayside. Stranger thing’s have happened.

Sport said:
KILO217 said:
An indoor practice facility will be a Great addition to the Grizzly athletic facilities and we will benefit from it next season. These bubbles are durable and numerous universities utilize them. Iowa used theirs for 20+ years, so if UM gets this to use for the next 5-10 years while collecting the necessary funds for a permanent facilty, it will prove advantageous. Here's a link for an example of a football facility bubble:

https://youtu.be/ezX4924cav0

NOW I’M WORRIED......
Mr. Worry Wart here. Ok we all know that the current city administration has pledged to be carbon neutral by the year 2035. This may not seem like something to get all consumed over but here’s the deal. New businesses that wish to relocate or up their usage of electricity will have to provide for carbon offset credits to accommodate additional consumption of power. While I don’t know what the consumption rate of the new practice bubble will be but to provide enough juice to feed the inflation of the bubble and to provide heat and air conditioning could cause the city to deny a building permit unless the University athletic Dept. is able to provide equivalent energy credits to offset power usage which could be expensive.
Ok take this with a grain of salt but it does speak to how government, specifically local government is dictating how what we can do and cannot do in our lives. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for carbon neutrality but there’s a point where common sense should prevail. Should the preceding event occur, denial of a building permit, then the longer term benefits to the community goes by the wayside. Stranger thing’s have happened.
It will most likely be on the UM Power grid, which is currently being overhauled to bring down its carbon footprint by quite a bit. Probably a non-issue.

uofmman1122 said:
Sport said:
NOW I’M WORRIED......
It will most likely be on the UM Power grid, which is currently being overhauled to bring down its carbon footprint by quite a bit. Probably a non-issue.
When it's most used, it would likely replace lighting Wash/Griz, a sure gain.

Grand Valley State University, is a DIV II school with an enrollment of 30K in Grand Rapids MI. They have a spectacular indoor facility called the Kelly Family Sports Center. It is named after their former head football coach Brian Kelly who's at Notr...opps LSU now. It is a spectacular facility that is in constant use by all the factions of the University: Athletics, Intramurals, Students, Staff etc.
https://www.gvsu.edu/sportsfacilities/the-kelly-family-sports-center-6.htm
If you go there the track team is working out at one end. Softball and Baseball are in batting cages. Rugby is on the turf, and students are scattered all over the place. A permanent facility could be one of the best additions to the overall university population ever. Football would certainly benefit but from a marketing stand point the entire U would benefit more.

the-kelly-family-sports-center-6.htm

Mich Griz said:
Grand Valley State University, is a DIV II school with an enrollment of 30K in Grand Rapids MI. They have a spectacular indoor facility called the Kelly Family Sports Center. It is named after their former head football coach Brian Kelly who's at Notr...opps LSU now. It is a spectacular facility that is in constant use by all the factions of the University: Athletics, Intramurals, Students, Staff etc.
https://www.gvsu.edu/sportsfacilities/the-kelly-family-sports-center-6.htm
If you go there the track team is working out at one end. Softball and Baseball are in batting cages. Rugby is on the turf, and students are scattered all over the place. A permanent facility could be one of the best additions to the overall university population ever. Football would certainly benefit but from a marketing stand point the entire U would benefit more.

the-kelly-family-sports-center-6.htm
Incredibly true. UM has a lot of awesome club teams that have to basically share time and space in the old Schreiber gym, and having a multi-use facility like that would be amazing and a huge draw for potential students.

That said, I'm fine with a bubble for now.

Forgive my ignorance, but has ground been broken for this facility? If not, why not? I don't live in or near Missoula, so I can't just walk or drive over to campus to see for myself. I've been told weather is not an impediment to construction, so what is the progress made for construction. Why would it take almost an entire year to construct this bubble?

3-7-77 said:
Forgive my ignorance, but has ground been broken for this facility? If not, why not? I don't live in or near Missoula, so I can't just walk or drive over to campus to see for myself. I've been told weather is not an impediment to construction, so what is the progress made for construction. Why would it take almost an entire year to construct this bubble?
I was on campus earlier this week. I didn't see anything going on.

3-7-77 said:

This project has still not been given the go ahead by the BOR. My understanding for a timeline is that completion by October/November is the current goal, so I would assume the BOR will be considering it soon. I am also not quite sure what level the status of the funding is at currently.

HelenaHandBasket said:
3-7-77 said:

This project has still not been given the go ahead by the BOR. My understanding for a timeline is that completion by October/November is the current goal, so I would assume the BOR will be considering it soon. I am also not quite sure what level the status of the funding is at currently.

It wouldn't shock me if the BOR held it up until MSU can get one too.

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

They wouldn't do that. They didn't makes us wait for msu on the Champions Center. Plus I don't even think the cats have any current plans for adding an indoor since they literally just got done with construction of the BAC. They're probably a year away or 2 from having plans in place for an indoor.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:
They wouldn't do that. They didn't makes us wait for msu on the Champions Center. Plus I don't even think the cats have any current plans for adding an indoor since they literally just got done with construction of the BAC. They're probably a year away or 2 from having plans in place for an indoor.

I don't think they will do that either. I'm just saying if they did, I would not be shocked.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQgQxtcPK4[/media]

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I share your concern, given that the current make up of the BOR appears to be well represented by MSU alumni and Gallatin County residents.

grizfnz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I share your concern, given that the current make up of the BOR appears to be well represented by MSU alumni and Gallatin County residents.

Good point. Everyone remembers when UM rehired Bobby, Choach had to get a new contract immediately to make it “fair”. (Actually not sure if the BOR was involved in that decision, but I choose to believe it was).

CDAGRIZ said:
grizfnz said:

Good point. Everyone remembers when UM rehired Bobby, Choach had to get a new contract immediately to make it “fair”. (Actually not sure if the BOR was involved in that decision, but I choose to believe is was).
That would be absolutely criminal if they did that. I guess nothing would surprise me in this day and era, but that would be pretty shocking.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Thanks for the updates. Appreciated. :thumb:
Back to the BOR. Evidently, the same BOR that hired Engstrom and watched as he augered UM into oblivion, tried, tried mind you, to end Grizzly Football, then kept him on as a Chemistry Prof. THAT BOR??? :puke: That bunch would probably vote to move ahead and start construction, somewhere near the Museum of the Rockies. :roll:

3-7-77 said:
Griz til I die said:

Thanks for the updates. Appreciated. :thumb:
Back to the BOR. Evidently, the same BOR that hired Engstrom and watched as he augered UM into oblivion, tried, tried mind you, to end Grizzly Football, then kept him on as a Chemistry Prof. THAT BOR??? :puke: That bunch would probably vote to move ahead and start construction, somewhere near the Museum of the Rockies. :roll:
Engstrom was hired in 2010 dude. It's been 12 years, it's completely new faces on the BOR. UM is on the rise, we had our first enrollment increase in a decade this year, and I just read an article yesterday in the Kaimin that said early enrollment and application numbers for the 22-23 schoolyear are significantly up over last year at this time. Plus, demolition is currently underway on the Lomasson for construction of the new dining facility, they're renovating another residence hall this summer (Knowles), and they're beginning construction on the new Forestry building in the fall. It's exciting times at UM. All these these things are happening because of the BOR and because they made the right choice in hiring Bodnar. Let it go.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizfnz said:

Good point. Everyone remembers when UM rehired Bobby, Choach had to get a new contract immediately to make it “fair”. (Actually not sure if the BOR was involved in that decision, but I choose to believe it was).

That is a bold choice, and I respect your commitment. (No they had nothing to do with that... that was Choate saying "I am not going to be paid less than Bobby" The university saying back "Well... You haven't really won much yet, not even half the games... What if we pay you less, but give you ALL SORTS of incentives that will get you there..." Him then saying back "OK... BUT, only if all the super hot moms in the valley get to come hang out with me once a year")

Back