• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dissatisfaction in Greeley

ordigger

DONOR
This article also states Montana has had two players hit the portal. Anyone know who the 2nd is? Buschini and ????

By JADYN WATSON-FISHER | [email protected] | Greeley Tribune
PUBLISHED: January 21, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.

A number of players for the University of Northern Colorado football team have announced their intent to transfer from the program, following coach Ed McCaffrey’s first season on the sidelines.

Nine players announced before the holidays they planned to leave UNC. That number has crept up to 12 as of late, which includes kicker Ben Raybon, linebacker Jace Bobo, wide receiver Jaren Mitchell and offensive lineman Kyle Ergenbright. They were all starters this season.

“I just feel like it is in my best interest to look for a better opportunity elsewhere,” running back Jaire Moore told the Greeley Tribune in December.

All but one departing player were recruited by former coach Earnest Collins’ staff. Reserve quarterback Andrew Brister, son of ex-Denver Broncos QB Bubby Brister, is the only player recruited under McCaffrey.

The players who shared public statements about their departures kept things brief and vague, focusing on the privilege of furthering their education and athletic careers. They frequently thanked the coaches, support staff and teammates, while sharing very little about their reasoning.

“I would like to say thank you to all of my coaches,” Bobo wrote. “Coach (Scott) Darnell for trusting me through this entire season and giving me a chance to be a leader; coach (Daryl) Moe for giving me the opportunity to thrive and being just a text away; coach (Jimmy) Spencer for connecting with me on and off the field and allowing me to voice my opinions; coach (Ed) McCaffrey for naming me a team captain and honoring whatever path I decided to venture. I have decided to enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer.”

Bobo was the only player to explicitly mention McCaffrey.

Rumors circulated around the program about player unhappiness. Many felt unhappy with the culture and unvalued. The players themselves shared limited information, despite offerings of anonymity, due to concerns about their recruitment, professionalism and possible retaliation.

Loved ones of players, however, spoke to the Tribune about the concerns. The parent of one transferring student-athlete said it was hard to see their child and his teammates feel unappreciated, especially after the excitement about McCaffrey’s hire and a seemingly positive start.

Several players, especially on the offensive side, felt like they weren’t reaching their potential under the coaching staff, they said.

The close relatives said they were shocked to see how few opportunities some players were getting, especially ones that previously provided good numbers for the Bears. They alleged the staff showed favoritism, and it wasn’t always based on who provided the best outcomes for the team. Additionally, they criticized McCaffrey’s decision to play his son, graduate QB Dylan McCaffrey, most of the year even during games where he lacked efficiency.

The loved ones said they didn’t believe McCaffrey would pull his son. A fan said they heard an assistant coach say the same thing during a game.

One relative said player complaints were toward the coaches, though, and not Dylan McCaffrey himself.

“It’s sad how many guys don’t like Ed,” the first parent said. “He’s all about himself and his family.”

McCaffrey said in a statement to the Tribune that he has an “open-door policy” and met with players who requested a meeting and returned all phone calls from players, regardless if the topic was about football. The staff encourages players to speak directly with coaches, but McCaffrey said he has also spent “countless hours” meeting and speaking with parents.

The sources who spoke with the Tribune disagreed. The first parent said their student-athlete never met with McCaffrey, despite assistance, nor did some of their teammates.

“It is unfortunate that many unhappy players, usually upset about their playing time or the amount of their tuition assistance, will simply transfer instead of trying to work out a situation with their coaches,” McCaffrey wrote in a statement to the Tribune. “But oftentimes a coach must provide a player with a truly honest answer they simply do not want to hear. Unfortunately, every player will not be a starter, or at the FCS level, be on full scholarship. It is just simply not possible.”

Most of the concerns weren’t about playing time and money, the relatives said. Instead, it was the environment. They said there was a lack of preparation, waning investment, secrecy and nepotism that players and their inner circles hope to see fixed. Additionally, concerns were raised about the inconsistency with COVID-19 protocol enforcement.

“The culture is worse now than with coach Collins. They were lacking talent with Collins, but at least they looked prepared as could be,” the first parent said. “There are true issues in this program that need to be exposed. These kids deserve a coach that is truly invested in making them better on and off the field; not someone who treats this as a hobby, a part-time gig.”

Where UNC stacks up against other programs

Ten UNC players transferred after Collins’ first season, according to the UNC compliance office.

The office also said there were roughly 80 Big Sky players in the portal, with Idaho State — which recently hired a new coach — and Northern Arizona leading the pack at 13 when the numbers were provided a week and a half ago.

Montana, Montana State and Eastern Washington led the conference with just two players in the transfer portal at the time. These were some of the top programs in the Big Sky this season, with Montana State falling to North Dakota State in the FCS Championship.

Sacramento State, which went undefeated in the league, had four players in the portal, according to UNC compliance.

Additionally, Colorado State had 24 players in the transfer portal as of Wednesday.

The University of Colorado had 25, including star tailback Jarek Broussard, who rushed for a team-leading 661 yards and two touchdowns in 2021. Broussard’s best game took place in the Buffs’ season opener against UNC when he ran for 98 yards and one score.

“We are very proud that we at UNC have the fewest number of players entering the transfer portal of any Division I program in the state of Colorado,” McCaffrey said. “We do wish every former Bear who chooses to leave the program the best of luck and hope they get the best out of their future endeavors.”

In addition to the transfers, UNC is expected to lose another dozen players to graduation. The program signed 15 players in the early signing period in December, including four three-star recruits. It can begin signing additional recruits on Feb. 2 until April 1, according to the National Letter of Intent website.

McCaffrey said he understands that change is always occurring and supports the transfer rules, which allow student-athletes to find a school that can meet their academic, athletic and personal needs.

Having players leave the program isn’t easy, but UNC has benefitted from incoming transfers and expects to fill the roster in the coming months.

“There are many changes that occur in a student-athlete’s life that may give them a good reason to transfer schools,” McCaffrey said. “Coaches change, systems change, college majors change, financial situations change, the health of family members changes, just to name a few. While it does make our job as coaches significantly more difficult in terms of constantly reshaping our rosters, it is in the best interest of the athletes we are hired to serve.”

The Bears went 3-8 overall and 2-6 in Big Sky play in 2021. They are set to start the 2022 season at home on Sept. 3 against Houston Baptist.

ordigger said:
This article also states Montana has had two players hit the portal. Anyone know who the 2nd is? Buschini and ????

My guess is poor research into the article. I’m sure with all the internet detectives here on egriz, we’d know first if anyone has left.

Sweet Jesus. Colorado (the state) football is a shitshow....

Additionally, Colorado State had 24 players in the transfer portal as of Wednesday. The University of Colorado had 25

AZGrizFan said:

Additionally, Colorado State had 24 players in the transfer portal as of Wednesday. The University of Colorado had 25
“We are very proud that we at UNC have the fewest number of players entering the transfer portal of any Division I program in the state of Colorado,” McCaffrey said. :clap:

I was looking at the authors twitter page yesterday, and he had re-tweeted all of the tweets from UNC players that were transferring and I think just yesterday alone there were like 7 or 8 guys who entered the portal.

Griz til I die said:
I was looking at the authors twitter page yesterday, and he had re-tweeted all of the tweets from UNC players that were transferring and I think just yesterday alone there were like 7 or 8 guys who entered the portal.

I'm far more amazed that they get kids to go there in the first place than I am their numbers entering the portal

I assume a big reason for the dissatisfaction is lack of circulation to their lower extremities due to the tightness of their pants.

Griztrain said:
AZGrizFan said:
“We are very proud that we at UNC have the fewest number of players entering the transfer portal of any Division I program in the state of Colorado,” McCaffrey said. :clap:

Spoken like a true politician. Wonder what office he'll be running for in the near fuiture?

3-7-77 said:
Griztrain said:

Spoken like a true politician. Wonder what office he'll be running for in the near fuiture?
Wish they'd move along to the WAC.

kemajic said:
3-7-77 said:
Wish they'd move along to the WAC.

Good GOD this conference would get 1000x better if both SUU and UNC left. :clap: :clap: We’re half way home…

If McCaffery survives another year it’s proof that noco doesn’t give a shit about athletics.

As if that wasn’t clear already….

I wonder if some of the “team culture” problems had anything to do with the controversial decision of the strength and conditioning coach to include semi-naked martial arts training (e.g. Basque Wrestling) with NCU Alum?

Ursa Major said:
I wonder if some of the “team culture” problems had anything to do with the controversial decision of the strength and conditioning coach to include semi-naked martial arts training (e.g. Basque Wrestling) with NCU Alum?

That may be what got them to go there in the first place

Ursa Major said:

You’ve been put on the clip board hit list after that post, bub.

Consider yourself warned. Also? Your pants are too big.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

As long as they continue to honor my season pass at the Greeley Train Museum, I could care less.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:

As long as they continue to honor my season pass at the Greeley Train Museum, I could care less.

You know, this is a great point. There are some remarkable museums in the bsc area. Greeley has the train museum, Pocatello has the world famous Potato Museum a short 20 minutes away (see incredible image below).

It really highlights how truly fortunate we are to be a member of this conference.

R.1b857eb5a553aa633fc58598e47891c5

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

You know, this is a great point. There are some remarkable museums in the bsc area. Greeley has the train museum, Pocatello has the world famous Potato Museum a short 20 minutes away (see incredible image below).

It really highlights how truly fortunate we are to be a member of this conference.

Charter member.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

You may mock but golly there are few things as satisfying as a good baked potato. 😊

Back