• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What do you consider Eastern Montana

What do you consider Eastern Montana

• Everything east of the divide.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Everything east of the Rocky Mountain Front.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Everything east of Bozeman.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Everything east of 11 miles west of Lewiston, the geographical center of Montana.

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Everything east of Billings.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Everything east of Miles City.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Everything east of Glendive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything east of Wibaux.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no eastern Montana, it’s actually western North Dakota.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Bobcats suck.

Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Western North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All of North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 47 46.5%

• Total voters
Wait, I thought each part of Montana was exactly the same and all the people acted the exact same way and thought the exact same things. Is that not the way this works?

SACCAT66 said:
Spanky2 said:
Other than Player, have any of you lived/worked on a ranch. I lived on three Eastern Montana ranches and have done the many required tasks, some not so pleasant. Have you been on a haystack with a rattlesnake?

I use to spend 2 weeks, every summer, working at my families farms north of Chester... Not a ranch, but trying to drive a grain truck at 11 years old (when never driving before that day, and being the "City Kid" because I was from Bozeman). Picking wild oats and rocks all day was not fun.

I did some wheat harvest work. Remember the grasshoppers?

Spanky2 said:
SACCAT66 said:
I use to spend 2 weeks, every summer, working at my families farms north of Chester... Not a ranch, but trying to drive a grain truck at 11 years old (when never driving before that day, and being the "City Kid" because I was from Bozeman). Picking wild oats and rocks all day was not fun.

How about artificial insemination?

Spanky2 said:
SACCAT66 said:

Yeah... Once when I was about 7-8 years old, my cousins convinced my brother and I that we had to get up super early and go out into the fields and "Kill ever grasshopper you see" They said it was a really important job... That is when I realized that my cousins were dicks.. (One is a lawyer in Missoula now)

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

I spotted for artificial insemination on our ranch for over 10 years. Also learned how to do the actual insemination. Was in the saddle at sunup and didn’t finish until after sundown everyday for 30-40 days from late May - June.

For Kem: Mark Milley was the graduation speaker at West Point and very good. He was loud and direct. He is highly respected at West Point.

I consider Billings to be ‘eastern Montana’. When I was learning about my state, I learned where Eastern Montana College was.

Grizfan-24 said:
3-7-77 said:
Montana history. Fascinating. Just wondering how many of you out there had the pleasure of K. Ross Toole's 'Montana and the West' class? There has to be a shit load of you. Class was in the Music Building auditorium. All seats were taken and the isles were shoulder to shoulder, SRO to say the least.

I took it from Fritz in the music building. That music lecture hall was home to two of my favorite courses in my years at the UM. Montana History and History of Rock and Roll.

Much of Fritz's course was Toole's book and Toole's overall philosophy. Not sure if Toole had seven thousand references to a good burger and beer in Saco, Joplin or Forsyth, but good gravy Fritz was a great listen. On top of that Fritz was at least per my experience a great guy to have in the department as I went through it. The occasional meet up with Fritz at the Press Box was so much fun with other department members. He truly held court in there.

There are three books that are essential reading for any burgeoning Montana historian:
1. K. Ross Toole Montana: An Uncommon Land
2. Michael Malone: A history of two centuries
3. Montana Heritage: A collection of essays on historial Montana events.

I also had Fritz for Montana history in the music building. Still have the K Ross Toole book on my bookshelf from that class as well. Great class and professor.
I also have similar memories of driving east down Rogers Pass. Grew up in Lincoln so trips to Great Falls or Missoula were always good memories and a nice change up from the usual trips to Helena.

You jogged my memory, kurtismichael. The suddenness of coming off Rogers Pass, eastbound, is extraordinary. To go from mountains, Ponderosa Pine, running water, to rolling hills cow country, and worse, is shocking. Made the trip MANY times. Doing it in a snow storm had its challenges, but at least I didn't have to look at the lack of scenery. Welcome to Central Montana. I wonder if blinders would have helped?
https://www.google.com/search?q=horse+blinders&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS870US874&ei=c5aXYrbjIOjP0PEP9qy_6As&oq=horse+blinders&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQARgAMgcIABCxAxBDMg

3-7-77 said:
Montana history. Fascinating. Just wondering how many of you out there had the pleasure of K. Ross Toole's 'Montana and the West' class? There has to be a shit load of you. Class was in the Music Building auditorium. All seats were taken and the isles were shoulder to shoulder, SRO to say the least.

Toole had his last years lectures taped and they are available through the Montana Historical Society. One of my biggest regrets was not taking his course when I was at the University.

Do you then consider East Missoula to be in Eastern Montana. That may explain why I felt comfortable living there. That and the entertainment such as my trucker neighbor getting home a day early to find his girlfriend entertaining another man. He proceeded to beat the other fellow who was partially clothed, slapped his girlfriend around pretty good. He then went in got the box spring and mattress threw them out into the yard, poured gasoline on them and lit them on fire.

Ah, East Missoula at its finest.

FWIW, I was born and raised in central Montana. Billings and anything east of there is eastern Montana.

mthoopsfan said:
kemajic said:

I spotted for artificial insemination on our ranch for over 10 years. Also learned how to do the actual insemination. Was in the saddle at sunup and didn’t finish until after sundown everyday for 30-40 days from late May - June.

For Kem: Mark Milley was the graduation speaker at West Point and very good. He was loud and direct. He is highly respected at West Point.
Not sure what AI program that was, but when we do it the cows are already gathered and then the AI process starts. So there is no need to gather everyday. I guess I could see it if you had to ride to AI the heifers, but still it seems like a long shot to be riding from sun up to sundown, (gather in the morning and letting out the free heifers in the afternoon), but for the most part they should be close to the shoot as well.

And eastern Montana is anything east of Lewistown. Draw a line straight north from Lewistown and straight south from Lewistown, and anything east of that is eastern Montana. If you want to talk the real eastern Montana, take a line straight north of Malta and straight south of Malta and that is God’s country.

MooUBaby said:
mthoopsfan said:

Not sure what AI program that was, but when we do it the cows are already gathered and then the AI process starts. So there is no need to gather everyday. I guess I could see it if you had to ride to AI the heifers, but still it seems like a long shot to be riding from sun up to sundown, (gather in the morning and letting out the free heifers in the afternoon), but for the most part they should be close to the shoot as well.

We had a large herd in a 1,000 acre pasture, with corrals and a fence in the middle. You can't keep a big herd "gathered" for 30 or 40 days. They have to eat and roam, get to water (in our case, Spring Creek), and take care of their calves. We brought the cows in heat to the AI corrals, and left them for half a day before inseminating. Cows come in heat overnight (early at night), during the day, and in the evening. To spot them, you have to be with them. We AI'ed all of our cattle, not just heifers.

mthoopsfan said:
MooUBaby said:

We had a large herd in a 1,000 acre pasture, with corrals and a fence in the middle. You can't keep a big herd "gathered" for 30 or 40 days. They have to eat and roam, get to water (in our case, Spring Creek), and take care of their calves. We brought the cows in heat to the AI corrals, and left them for half a day before inseminating. Cows come in heat overnight (early at night), during the day, and in the evening. To spot them, you have to be with them. We AI'ed all of our cattle, not just heifers.

Wait.. what? You artificially inseminated your bulls? That must've been fun. You probably could have charged people money to see that.

kurtismichael said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I took it from Fritz in the music building. That music lecture hall was home to two of my favorite courses in my years at the UM. Montana History and History of Rock and Roll.

Much of Fritz's course was Toole's book and Toole's overall philosophy. Not sure if Toole had seven thousand references to a good burger and beer in Saco, Joplin or Forsyth, but good gravy Fritz was a great listen. On top of that Fritz was at least per my experience a great guy to have in the department as I went through it. The occasional meet up with Fritz at the Press Box was so much fun with other department members. He truly held court in there.

There are three books that are essential reading for any burgeoning Montana historian:

I also had Fritz for Montana history in the music building. Still have the K Ross Toole book on my bookshelf from that class as well. Great class and professor.
I also have similar memories of driving east down Rogers Pass. Grew up in Lincoln so trips to Great Falls or Missoula were always good memories and a nice change up from the usual trips to Helena.

Same. I took it from Fritz and still have the book.

kurtismichael said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Sadly, Montana is still a colony of the East and West Coasts. But, Toole, Leslie Fiedler, and Thomas G. Johnson are the people I first think of when I recall my days in Missoula.
Also, the Stockman's.

My Dad is from Kalispell my mom Shelby. We moved back and forth when I was a little kid. Dad always called it the East side so I always thought of it to be eastern MT. Lol not even close, but it’s still the east side of the divide.

DuCharme said:
I consider Billings to be ‘eastern Montana’. When I was learning about my state, I learned where Eastern Montana College was.

The designation of Eastern Montana College was because there is no other four year college east of Billings.
I have stated my position based on the geology of the area, the demographics of the area, the economy of the area and yes there is an occasional rodeo help in Montana's Exhibition Recreation and Trade Arena, aka The METRA.
Claiming everything east of Lewistown ignores the designation of Central Montana.
And yes, one poster stated everything east of Lewsiton, ID making all of Montana eastern.
Ask someone from the communities in eastern Montana if Billings is indeed part of the east and they will likely respond no.
Maybe Billings should follow Butte's example ( I can't believe I actually said that ) and say Billings, America?

Blgs Griz Fan said:
DuCharme said:

The designation of Eastern Montana College was because there is no other four year college east of Billings.
I have stated my position based on the geology of the area, the demographics of the area, the economy of the area and yes there is an occasional rodeo help in Montana's Exhibition Recreation and Trade Arena, aka The METRA.
Claiming everything east of Lewistown ignores the designation of Central Montana.
And yes, one poster stated everything east of Lewsiton, ID making all of Montana eastern.
Ask someone from the communities in eastern Montana if Billings is indeed part of the east and they will likely respond no.
Maybe Billings should follow Butte's example ( I can't believe I actually said that ) and say Billings, America?
The hub of the Inland Empire, not the hub of Eastern MT.

Back