• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O-line from the O-line

mthoopsfan

"[O]n the fifth day of preseason camp, something seemed to click for a bit as the offense looked arguably the best it had been during live action.

I think our potential is national championship. That’s our main goal,” sophomore right tackle Brandon Casey said. “As you can tell today, we were getting after it, and it’s only going to get better from here. We’re in the first week and we got to keep building and we can’t have any bad days. I think we’ve done a great job of that so far.

The questions around Montana’s O-line relate to a lack of experience. UM must replace three starters

Forbes is the elder statesman from the standpoint that he has the most starts (14) of any O-lineman on the roster. He anchors the line as a 6-foot-4, 302-pound center who is in his third year at UM after transferring from Nebraska.

For him, part of O-line success is attitude, particularly the Dominant Offensive Line Attitude, or DOLA, that offensive line coach Chad Germer has worked to instill.

“I think the O-line can be really good,” Forbes said. “Some people are going to say that some of these guys are going to be a little inexperienced, but I think we have the physical talent and mental capacity to be able to do good things.”

He added: “As long as we continue to build that continuity with one another and build that chemistry with one another, I think that’s the best thing about a good O-line.”

He’ll be behind five linemen he’s never played with, one of whom is Mayginnes, who transferred from Washington State ahead of preseason camp last August.

The 6-5, 330-pound left guard worked his way into a starting role by the opener, started all 13 games and earned third-team All-Big Sky honors. He feels better about his pass protection heading into this season and continues to work on the right head placement, correct hand use and proper foot movement.

“I think it can be outstanding,” he said of the O-line. “I think we have all the talent in the world. Just got to keep on getting better through fall camp and keep on getting on better throughout the season and hopefully that’ll lead us to January.”

He elaborated: “Effort and attitude, those two things probably help us out the most. No matter what the score is, we know we can’t hang our head low and we can hang our head up with pride and just keep on getting better.”

He’s been working with new left tackle Chris Walker to help acclimate him and solidify that side of the line.

Walker is a physically imposing 24-year-old at 6-6 and 290 pounds of mostly muscle … His size, power and foot movement are key components to why coach Bobby Hauck wanted to bring him in despite Walker previously playing as a backup D-lineman.

Walker spent the summer working with Forbes and Mayginnes to learn about UM’s O-line and see how he could translate his defensive skills. Now he’s going up against D-linemen like Hustedt, Jacob McGourin, DeAri Todd and others while facing a defense that may be better than most ones the Griz offense will see this season.

“With this defense, they do a hell of a job and you never know what the hell is about to go on,” he offered. “You just got to be quick on your feet and alert and get ready to change.”

One guy who’s not a transfer is Casey, who was heavily recruited by Oregon State of the Pac-12 but kept his commitment to UM.

While working his way into the lineup, he’s gone from 6-5, 260 pounds as a freshman to 297 pounds this season. He credits that to his time in the weight room, eating healthily and his teammates pushing him.

The spot that seems the most up for grabs is right guard. Redshirt freshman Liam Brown is a big kid at 6-5, 307 pounds and has taken most of the first-team reps. Fellow redshirt freshman Kila Lincoln also saw reps on the first team once the players put shells on during the third day of camp. On the fifth day, another redshirt freshman, Kevin Good, even took some first-team reps.

No starters have been named and no depth chart has been produced. The competition will continue as the offensive line tries to answer the bell by filling some big shoes.

“In the secondary and the O-line, technique is everything,” Hauck said. “You have to be refined and disciplined in your technique, otherwise you'll get taken advantage of. I would say the young players, when they struggle, it's because they fall out of line with their discipline and their technique.”

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/young-offensive-line-looks-to-answer-the-bell-as-montana-replaces-3-veterans/article_43552123-a348-5fb6-9442-235327e1c353.html

mthoopsfan said:
This thread is dedicated to the know-nothings of egriz.

I agree... I think the oline has been undeservedly scapegoated on here by many. They seem to be well suited to shine this year.

indian-outlaw said:
mthoopsfan said:
This thread is dedicated to the know-nothings of egriz.

I agree... I think the oline has been undeservedly scapegoated on here by many. They seem to be well suited to shine this year.

How is it “undeservedly” when it’s been the Achilles heel of this team for nigh on 10 years

And again, for those out there who are slow to understand: Pray to GOD there are no major injuries. First 5 might be serviceable or even good. Please tell me who’s going to step in after that? Or even when the first 5 need a breather?

AZGrizFan said:
indian-outlaw said:

How is it “undeservedly” when it’s been the Achilles heel of this team for nigh on 10 years

And again, for those out there who are slow to understand: Pray to GOD there are no major injuries. First 5 might be serviceable or even good. Please tell me who’s going to step in after that? Or even when the first 5 need a breather?

Because the o-line has not been the Achilles Heal for 10 years. Some years the o-line has been pretty good.

AZGrizFan said:
indian-outlaw said:

Achilles heel says you... You're going to eat crow when you see how well our offense moves the ball this year. I think the last few years the offense had had several weaknesses including RB and QB but keep dissing the guys up front.

I completely disagree with AZ on this issue. I think the Griz will be very good up front and several of the young kids are ready to step up and fill in as needed. Yes, chemistry really matters, but this group is tight based on the info conveyed by someone in the know that is not a coach. Now, if AZ is wrong I am willing to bet he gladly eats crow and I think he might have even stated that previously? He is a passionate fan and I can’t get ticked off at him for his opinion. Just going to have to agree to disagree and I pray to God this line has DOLA.

AZGrizFan said:
indian-outlaw said:

That's literally what the coaches and players are working on right now in fall camp along with most teams around the country. Figuring out what the starting rotation might look like, who might be in the rotation late in the game or if injury happens. It's fun watching new players emerge and seeing the TEAM progress throughout camp and more importantly, throughout the season. Adversity will come in some form throughout the year. Maybe it will relate to the o-line, maybe it won't. Most people didn't foresee the RB position being utterly depleted throughout last season. Every position is 1-3 injuries away from being a shell of itself, which we saw at QB and RB last year and which shaped our season to some degree. Good health to all. Enjoy the ride!

Wait, the O-line said good things about themselves? Hard to believe.

Think you guys ca be good this year?

"Its hard to say. We just haven't had DOLA for so long. The attrition in our position group has been ridiculous, and we didn't sign a single recruited big dude last year. We did bring in a d-lineman to anchor the line, so we are hoping for the best. Coach Germer thinks we can be good, but we stopped listening to him years ago. He hasn't mentored a 1st Team All BSC conference lineman since his return. We mostly watch YouTube videos to learn our technique.

So, hopeful but very uncertain given our recent history."

SoldierGriz said:

"Its hard to say. We just haven't had DOLA for so long. The attrition in our position group has been ridiculous, and we didn't sign a single recruited big dude last year. We did bring in a d-lineman to anchor the line, so we are hoping for the best. Coach Germer thinks we can be good, but we stopped listening to him years ago. He hasn't mentored a 1st Team All BSC conference lineman since his return. We mostly watch YouTube videos to learn our technique.

Fair enough post, but will you admit you are wrong if the oline performs well this year? If they don’t - I will be the first critic of Germer and Hauck. I believe no other BSC team is killing it with Oline personnel. Tough environment. The Griz starting 5 have size and appear to fit the bill. We will see

mthoopsfan said:
"[O]n the fifth day of preseason camp, something seemed to click for a bit as the offense looked arguably the best it had been during live action.

I think our potential is national championship. That’s our main goal,” sophomore right tackle Brandon Casey said. “As you can tell today, we were getting after it, and it’s only going to get better from here. We’re in the first week and we got to keep building and we can’t have any bad days. I think we’ve done a great job of that so far.

The questions around Montana’s O-line relate to a lack of experience. UM must replace three starters

Forbes is the elder statesman from the standpoint that he has the most starts (14) of any O-lineman on the roster. He anchors the line as a 6-foot-4, 302-pound center who is in his third year at UM after transferring from Nebraska.

For him, part of O-line success is attitude, particularly the Dominant Offensive Line Attitude, or DOLA, that offensive line coach Chad Germer has worked to instill.

“I think the O-line can be really good,” Forbes said. “Some people are going to say that some of these guys are going to be a little inexperienced, but I think we have the physical talent and mental capacity to be able to do good things.”

He added: “As long as we continue to build that continuity with one another and build that chemistry with one another, I think that’s the best thing about a good O-line.”

He’ll be behind five linemen he’s never played with, one of whom is Mayginnes, who transferred from Washington State ahead of preseason camp last August.

The 6-5, 330-pound left guard worked his way into a starting role by the opener, started all 13 games and earned third-team All-Big Sky honors. He feels better about his pass protection heading into this season and continues to work on the right head placement, correct hand use and proper foot movement.

“I think it can be outstanding,” he said of the O-line. “I think we have all the talent in the world. Just got to keep on getting better through fall camp and keep on getting on better throughout the season and hopefully that’ll lead us to January.”

He elaborated: “Effort and attitude, those two things probably help us out the most. No matter what the score is, we know we can’t hang our head low and we can hang our head up with pride and just keep on getting better.”

He’s been working with new left tackle Chris Walker to help acclimate him and solidify that side of the line.

Walker is a physically imposing 24-year-old at 6-6 and 290 pounds of mostly muscle … His size, power and foot movement are key components to why coach Bobby Hauck wanted to bring him in despite Walker previously playing as a backup D-lineman.

Walker spent the summer working with Forbes and Mayginnes to learn about UM’s O-line and see how he could translate his defensive skills. Now he’s going up against D-linemen like Hustedt, Jacob McGourin, DeAri Todd and others while facing a defense that may be better than most ones the Griz offense will see this season.

“With this defense, they do a hell of a job and you never know what the hell is about to go on,” he offered. “You just got to be quick on your feet and alert and get ready to change.”

One guy who’s not a transfer is Casey, who was heavily recruited by Oregon State of the Pac-12 but kept his commitment to UM.

While working his way into the lineup, he’s gone from 6-5, 260 pounds as a freshman to 297 pounds this season. He credits that to his time in the weight room, eating healthily and his teammates pushing him.

The spot that seems the most up for grabs is right guard. Redshirt freshman Liam Brown is a big kid at 6-5, 307 pounds and has taken most of the first-team reps. Fellow redshirt freshman Kila Lincoln also saw reps on the first team once the players put shells on during the third day of camp. On the fifth day, another redshirt freshman, Kevin Good, even took some first-team reps.

No starters have been named and no depth chart has been produced. The competition will continue as the offensive line tries to answer the bell by filling some big shoes.

“In the secondary and the O-line, technique is everything,” Hauck said. “You have to be refined and disciplined in your technique, otherwise you'll get taken advantage of. I would say the young players, when they struggle, it's because they fall out of line with their discipline and their technique.”

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/young-offensive-line-looks-to-answer-the-bell-as-montana-replaces-3-veterans/article_43552123-a348-5fb6-9442-235327e1c353.html

Casey actually played really well last year when he was pressed into action. I know the coaches are very high on him. And he has put on almost 40lbs? Hell yea! That is great news.

indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:

Achilles heel says you... You're going to eat crow when you see how well our offense moves the ball this year. I think the last few years the offense had had several weaknesses including RB and QB but keep dissing the guys up front.

I hope to God you’re right. Seriously, I do. I’ve not wanted to be wrong about something as a Griz fan in forever.

Copper Griz said:
I completely disagree with AZ on this issue. I think the Griz will be very good up front and several of the young kids are ready to step up and fill in as needed. Yes, chemistry really matters, but this group is tight based on the info conveyed by someone in the know that is not a coach. Now, if AZ is wrong I am willing to bet he gladly eats crow and I think he might have even stated that previously? He is a passionate fan and I can’t get ticked off at him for his opinion. Just going to have to agree to disagree and I pray to God this line has DOLA.

Thanks, Copper. I HAVE stated as much in the past, and just said it again in the post above this. I’d be happier than a pig in shit to be wrong about this. But the proof will be in the pudding. I have a bet with Alaska I think that Griz won’t get past the quarters with this O-line. Hope I’m wrong about that too, because this is a championship level Defense. and I believe championship level skill position players.

SoldierGriz said:

The leader of the egriz know-nothing club. Your constant spouting off about UM football, which you know nothing about, is tiresome and nauseating.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:

Thanks, Copper. I HAVE stated as much in the past, and just said it again in the post above this. I’d be happier than a pig in shit to be wrong about this. But the proof will be in the pudding. I have a bet with Alaska I think that Griz won’t get past the quarters with this O-line. Hope I’m wrong about that too, because this is a championship level Defense. and I believe championship level skill position players.
Championship level skill position players on offense is a huge question mark to me.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

The leader of the egriz know-nothing club. Your constant spouting off about UM football, which you know nothing about, is tiresome and nauseating.
But thanks for your service.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Championship level skill position players on offense is a huge question mark to me.

Marcus Knight, Nick Ostmo, and Xavier Harris are the top 3 RB’s. Two Sr WR’s and a crap ton of potential from a crap ton of under classmen. I do believe we are stacked at the skill positions. That’s not including maybe the most athletically gifted TE in the league and a very athletic QB.

Copper Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:

Fair enough post, but will you admit you are wrong if the oline performs well this year? If they don’t - I will be the first critic of Germer and Hauck. I believe no other BSC team is killing it with Oline personnel. Tough environment. The Griz starting 5 have size and appear to fit the bill. We will see

Yes, I will eat all the crows. I really need to be wrong about it at some point if RTD is to be real. I have been to Griz chipper games, and hope to go again.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

:lol: That's rich.

Back