• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

dupuyer griz said:
Tell you what, I got a few beers and me and a broken bolt fixed on the combine header so I’m in a better mood. Throw in a playoff for the group of 5 and add mens and womens wrestling and I’m willing to compromise.

:lol:

As for Athletic department budgets, UM's is approximately $23m while Utah State's is $34m and Wyoming is $41m
Food for thought.

barryj said:
As for Athletic department budgets, UM's is approximately $23m while Utah State's is $34m and Wyoming is $41m
Food for thought.

OK, but also food for thought, how much more money do Utah State and Wyoming make from conference media agreements, NCAA shares for both mens/womens basketball, and non-conference money games in football than UM?

HelenaHandBasket said:
barryj said:
Food for thought.

OK, but also food for thought, how much more money do Utah State and Wyoming make from conference media agreements, NCAA shares for both mens/womens basketball, and non-conference money games in football than UM?

The MW distributes $4 million annually to teams. I assume that includes basketball.

Moving up has significant upfront costs. And, 23 plus 4, equals 27, not 34 or 41.

If the MW loses top schools, will tv revenue go down?

HelenaHandBasket said:
barryj said:
Food for thought.

Answer: Plenty.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

The MW distributes $4 million annually to teams. I assume that includes basketball.

Moving up has significant upfront costs. And, 23 plus 4, equals 27, not 34 or 41.

Looks like Utah St received $5.25 million from NCAA/Conference distributions, media rights, and post-season football in 2021. It was $5.1 million for Wyoming. And my point was that the gap wasn't quite as large as stated.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:

Looks like Utah St received $5.25 million from NCAA/Conference distributions, media rights, and post-season football in 2021. It was $5.1 million for Wyoming. And my point was that the gap wasn't quite as large as stated.

My figure was distributions from the conference. UM gets modest revenue from media rights and occasional modest amounts from post-season play.

Based just on these figures, the gap is huge.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

My figure was distributions from the conference. UM gets modest revenue from media rights and occasional modest amounts from post-season play.

Based just on these figures, the gap is huge.

In 2021 Montana reports $0.5 million from NCAA/Conference distributions, media rights, and post-season football.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
That number also doesn't include competition guarantees.

Competition guarantees aren't a conference thing. They are a team thing. UM gets them too on occasion.

Didn't say they were. But Montana as a FBS school can attract larger payouts, get larger money games, on par to what MWC already do, which would add money to the budget.

More food for thought. In addition to the financial considerations a school (UM) would need to make, there needs to be a want by the conference to invite the school (UM) and that will probably depend on what impact the school (UM) has on the conference's TV contract.

Everybody always assumes we'll be the next Boise State but my biggest fear is we'll be the next New Mexico... And nobody wants that.

Just to add more food for thought:
University of New Mexico athletic budget: $34m, New Mexico State $21m and Boise State $40m.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Bear Spray said:
Convince me UM would be able to recruit to compete. If you think ESG - GCG is bad now.....

After watching the MSU-Wyoming game last season, you don't think the top BSC schools are almost comparable to the MWC schools and it wouldn't take a huge leap?

Plus we would have more full ride scholarships to hand out, which theoretically would help with recruiting more top-notch players.

Mont. St. expenses for coaches and scholarships. $4 million and $6 million.

Colo. St: $9 million for both.

Boise St: $9.3 and 9.

Wyo.: $8.8 and 7.4.

2021 figures.

Back