• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: An all around odd game turns into a blowout

BWahlberg

DONOR
I'll put this out there first and foremost, I thought this would be close, it wasn't. All of PSU's 16 points came essentially on Montana mistakes. A flubbed opening kickoff, a corner biting on a trick play, and a fumbled/dropped punt that wound up as a safety. PSU had some neat little tricks in their bag, but they couldn't hang. Their best plays were basically Chachere scrambles on well-covered plays. (BTW - met family of his, he was having issues with the heat, hence his exit).

It was an odd game in some regards. Two safeties, a major error on the opening kickoff, and a field goal return for a TD. I'd just bet a combo like that has never happened in a single game before.

Montana is now 4-0 in all blowouts, and as even coach Barney pointed out, they were lead the way by a vicious defense that once again had a few small breakdowns, but overall was prenominal. PSU finished with just 199 total yards on the day. They went 3-15 on 3rd down, had to punt 10 times, and their QBs were getting rocked all day.

The crowd was great today, the weather was great too. This game felt far more fun and festive than the prior two for some reason. Whats funny is PSU intentionally selected this game to prepare for for two weeks. And this was the result.

Also, a huge congrats to Robby Hauck for setting Montana's tackle record. Beyond that... the field goal return TD? Are you kidding me? What a crazy series of events.

A few more observations:

- Lucas Johnson has far exceeded my expectations in every way. This guy is a special talent and he keeps getting better every game. I'm really excited to see him when we hit our tougher stretch, if he keeps this level of play up... we're talking a front runner for OPOY. He had some incredible improvisation today. Dude is a true dual threat, and I believe I heard he completed his first 14 passes? His TD pass to Fontes late was a dime, just damned impressive.

- X Harris slammed the door shut on PSU's shred of hope to stay in the game and had himself a day. He lead the RB room in touches today and looked incredibly decisive and sharp running the ball. He's made a great case for continued touches, his development over the last year has really progressed. Add in Childs in mop-up duty, he was running with a full head of steam. Still... oddly... limited touches for Knight. Is it just go with the hot hand or is something up?

- This game had quite a few highlight reel catches. Flowers with one early, Roberts a few plays later, and then Fontes later int he game too. This WR corps is living up to what Brent Pease said about how incredibly talented they are from top to bottom.

- Glad to see Hill jog off the field and then test the leg later. Hopefully nothing that keeps him off the field for too long.

- Big day for Marcus Welnel... will he be our DPOW nominee? 2.5 TFLs and 2 sacks. Major stops that kept the momentum to UM's side.

- I thought that D Todd hit was a fumble, the replay didn't seem too conclusive, but in the end I suppose it all worked out as that drive would eventually end in Robby's TD.

- Keelan White almost took one to the house as well... just more testament to the depth of this team as a whole.

- Another game... another team that doesn't throw at Ford. Although save the 1 PSU trick play... it's not like Walker or Dawson were letting much happen either.

- I'm sensing a trend with this Grizzly OL... slow start, strong finish. Running lanes weren't open early, and Johnson got sacked a few times. But then they locked it in and just took over.

------------
In a pre-game interview Barnum pointed out that Montana's depth is one thing that his team doesn't have. Today we saw that. It wasn't the only deciding factor, but it was one that played a major role. PSU hung around for a bit on some flukey stuff but as the game went on Montana's ability to stay fresh and not have a drop-off with rotating players really showed up.

It was a fun day! Montana now hits the road to play in the god-awful Holt Arena. Let's keep it rolling Griz!

AZGrizFan said:
Did Hill get back in the game later? What do you mean by “testing it later”?

Hill didn't come back in, but he was up on the sideline, moving around, bending the knee, and seeming to feel like he could go back in. Doesn't look too bad, from the cheap seats.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Did Hill get back in the game later? What do you mean by “testing it later”?

Hill didn't come back in, but he was up on the sideline, moving around, bending the knee, and seeming to feel like he could go back in. Doesn't look too bad, from the cheap seats.

Hope so. Always dicey when they start trying to move the knee….

I felt like Johnson missed in some passes today, but if the receivers feel like making circus catches, then it’s not big deal.

On the "double" pass, while the corner let the receiver go by him, a certain safety came up for the run too. I don't know the coverage or the responsibilities, but there was likely safety responsibility too.

I believe 36 yards and 1 first down was given up by D in the second half. No Griz penalties in the first half.

ESPN showed Johnson being 14-14 at halftime. I think Riley and Bobby said he was 15-15 in the first half. Johnson is terrific. Sacked twice. He missed no. 21 twice on downfield passes on the sideline. Not easy passes, but the throws were off. No. 21 only carried twice today. Had we gotten a block by a lineman, his one pass completion would have been a big gainer.

The Griz are relentless (and have been every game) and, with the combination of the O, D, and ST, they were explosive today.

Way too many mistakes, again. Take away those mistakes and it would have been 75-0. Those mistakes can mostly be corrected.

While the Griz are deep at backer, I think the D missed Hill. He had 3 tackles in his relatively few plays. I saw a photo of his mom's bull moose, which she got this weekend.

Harris' long run was beautiful.

Johnson's passing efficiency was about 173. He had a couple terrific runs, where he accelerated through the gap. The one long pass down the middle to the south was probably ill-advised.

The first half PSU qb was mobile, hard to grab, and pretty fast, but the Griz lost contain on him too many times, in my opinion.

Trey Young was at the game. The '82 team was having its 40th reunion. Scotty Gratton was wearing his no. 44 jersey.

The crowd noise was terrific several times even in the south end zone. That was impressive. The NEZ is always terrific.

PSU's no. 51 was acting like a jerk too many times for my taste. He was waving at the NEZ crowd before the first play.

The receivers caught the ball well. No. 80 has great hands and a big body to try to defend.

No TO by Griz. 1 penalty by the Griz. Only 19 for the season. That's impressive. 6 sacks given up by Griz for season. 4 TO for season.

The refs were good again. Four games in a row.

Nice summary, Brint.

We averaged something around 35 yards per punt return. Not sure I have ever seen a Stat like that.

Edit: 31.8 but still obscene

"“Their defense, probably the best I’ve seen since I’ve been playing Montana,” Barnum said. “Their offense, after today, I think they’re much better. I thought OK, maybe that’s their weak link, just as a coach looking at it. They showed today that wasn’t the deal. And their special teams, their special teams have been dinking and dunking a couple things, but I’ll be damned if they didn’t fix that today either.”

mthoopsfan said:
"“Their defense, probably the best I’ve seen since I’ve been playing Montana,” Barnum said. “Their offense, after today, I think they’re much better. I thought OK, maybe that’s their weak link, just as a coach looking at it. They showed today that wasn’t the deal. And their special teams, their special teams have been dinking and dunking a couple things, but I’ll be damned if they didn’t fix that today either.”

I don’t know how they did it, but the defense is better than last years. Crazy. Thought last year was the high water mark, this year we’ve gotten even better. Our corners are great, dline is in the conversation for tops in conference and we have the best linebacking corp in conference (non debatable) and maybe in all FCS. We have a Buchanan candidate at 3 positions on the defense. I know some teams have had great individual talent in the past like the 06-09 squads, but overall this might be the best unit we’ve had. It’s in the conversation for sure

ilovethecats said:
Your guys D is real real nice.

Nothing gives you the warm and fuzzies like knowing that your defense is capable of keeping you in any game. I really think that there’s probably only ~10 to 12 teams in FCS that could put up more than 14 on this defense. The second halves of games they have been flat out ridiculous; I think they only allowed something like 60 total yards in the second half of both last weeks and this weeks games COMBINED! It’s fun to watch.

BWahlberg said:
(BTW - met family of his, he was having issues with the heat, hence his exit).

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1573383086242660352?s=20

Back