• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Participation and Marty and the littler McGourin

SaskGriz

DONOR
Just got done watching the replay.
- All the usual suspects dressed and played. Britt, Longin, Capser, Whitehead, Abbott, the Lang Boys, Travillion, Huff, Leonard, Croy, Klucewich, Ben McGourin, Wegener, Zac Evans, Hurlburt, Mann, Good, McCabe, McPherson, and Smith were dressed but didn't see the field.
- I saw all the RS's except Sam Alford but I imagine he was in there somewhere, has been at the other two home games.

- I thought Marty Mornhinweg was great! Lots of insight, lots of enthusiasm. Glowing with the praise but honest with the things that didn't work. I imagine he was only there for the Homecoming but I hope I'm wrong and he's the regular color guy.

- Interestingly, and maybe someone knows why this is; Ben McGourin, Jacob's little brother, is the only true freshman who is not redshirting and the only freshman to have dressed for a game this year.

they changed the rule, and I believe that the limit is player participating in four or less games can retain a redshirt.

SaskGriz said:
- All the usual suspects dressed and played. Britt, Longin, Capser, Whitehead, Abbott, the Lang Boys, Travillion, Huff, Leonard, Croy, Klucewich, Ben McGourin, Wegener, Zac Evans, Hurlburt, Mann, Good, McCabe, McPherson, and Smith were dressed but didn't see the field.
- I saw all the RS's except Sam Alford but I imagine he was in there somewhere, has been at the other two home games.

- I thought Marty Mornhinweg was great! Lots of insight, lots of enthusiasm. Glowing with the praise but honest with the things that didn't work. I imagine he was only there for the Homecoming but I hope I'm wrong and he's the regular color guy.

- Interestingly, and maybe someone knows why this is; Ben McGourin, Jacob's little brother, is the only true freshman who is not redshirting and the only freshman to have dressed for a game this year.
Marty is the color guy for all Griz Big Sky games. He is retired from coaching and lives in Missoula

I thought Marty did a great job. Very knowledgeable and entertaining. I believe he will be the color guy for most of the games. As for the other guy, I was not a fan. Confusing Justin Ford with Keelan White on a defensive stop (I get they share the same number) seems like something that shouldn’t happen if you were properly prepared. He also made numerous other incorrect statements throughout the game.

Rats of Butte said:
I thought Marty did a great job. Very knowledgeable and entertaining. I believe he will be the color guy for most of the games. As for the other guy, I was not a fan. Confusing Justin Ford with Keelan White on a defensive stop (I get they share the same number) seems like something that shouldn’t happen if you were properly prepared. He also made numerous other incorrect statements throughout the game.
They need to have Grady Bennett working with Marty M. That is a lot of FB knowledge.

Rats of Butte said:
They need to have Grady Bennett working with Marty M. That is a lot of FB knowledge.

grizare#1 said:
Rats of Butte said:

Agreed….but not sure either of them is a ‘play by play’ guy….

AZGrizFan said:
grizare#1 said:

Yeah you have to be trained to be a great play by play guy like Riley. Those of you who don’t think Riley is incredible on the mic are insane.

WaGriz4life said:
SaskGriz said:

Marty is the color guy for all Griz Big Sky games. He is retired from coaching and lives in Missoula
That's great, I like his style so far. Agree with all the other posters about the play-by-play guy. Hadn't done his homework, which is 90% of the job but maybe he gets better with time as well.

granitegriz said:
I assume Ben McGourin is going to play in 5 games, just like his brother did his freshman year!
Yeah, it's just strange to me that they appear to be burning his red shirt year but he hasn't seen the field. I know he could take it further on in his career but that really doesn't seem to happen that often. Maybe he has academic or career goals that are going to take him away from the U sooner rather than later so it won't really matter. Just curious if anybody, in the know, knew anything about this.

If he doesn't play / participate, then it doesn't ruin his redshirt. Rule changed.

SaskGriz said:
Yeah, it's just strange to me that they appear to be burning his red shirt year but he hasn't seen the field. I

SaskGriz said:
granitegriz said:
I assume Ben McGourin is going to play in 5 games, just like his brother did his freshman year!
Yeah, it's just strange to me that they appear to be burning his red shirt year but he hasn't seen the field. I know he could take it further on in his career but that really doesn't seem to happen that often. Maybe he has academic or career goals that are going to take him away from the U sooner rather than later so it won't really matter. Just curious if anybody, in the know, knew anything about this.

Dressing out does not burn the RS. Playing less than 5 games does not burn his redshirt. He’ll be here 4 more years, book it.

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:

Dressing out does not burn the RS. Playing less than 5 games does not burn his redshirt. He’ll be here 4 more years, book it.

His father comes to my tailgate every game. He said, "his son Ben is redshirting this year!" He can play up to Four games without burning his RS. However, he is normally not dressed to play in any game.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yeah you have to be trained to be a great play by play guy like Riley. Those of you who don’t think Riley is incredible on the mic are insane.

I didn’t realize there were some who don’t like Riley. I think he’s incredible and we’re very lucky to have him.

Any thoughts on why Alex Hulburt has not seen the field this year? It does not appear to be an injury as I saw him doing warm ups before the last game and I think has been dressed for all the home games. He did not travel to Indiana State.
Is it a case where others like Kale Edwards and Noah Kaschmitter have upped their game and Alex has not? Seems strange that the defensive scout player of the year has not been in on a single down this year.

Dillon said:
Question - So are the announcers the same on both KPAX and ESPN feeds?

ESPN+ just picks up whatever is the local feed, so for the rest of the season it will be the KPAX feed and their announcers.

I looked at the title of this thread, and thought, " :wtf: ?" Who comes up with this abuse of the English language.
THEN, I looked at the author. AHA! Canadian! Splains it all. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:

Yeah, I didn't realize that. I thought it was just dressing whether you saw the field or not. Makes me wonder why we don't dress more of our redshirts for the home games then? Give them a chance to learn the game day routine and get to run out on the field with the boys. Maybe it's just too crowded on the sideline, just thought it was odd that he is the only true freshman to dress this year. Thanks for the info.

Back