• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game analysis

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Games like that make me wish I still drank. Goodness it was tough to watch

I was thinking the same thing. I could use something to drink…

What is disappointing is as bad as we played, we had a chance from the 1 yard line to go up 35-6 but instead ended up winning 28-20. That’s leaves a bad taste right there.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that the most yards we’ve had on offense all year? Stats can be deceiving, as that was a struggle. I hope it’s the type of game that motivates the team from here on out.

:clap: :clap: At least this should park the move up thread for a while.

Not a great game but a good win.

We were without our best defender and best offender.

Starters out:
Hill
Co. Walker
Bergen

Starters “lost”:
Cotton
L. Brown
(and Botkin)

Hometown of in-game subs used:
Fairfield, MT
Huntley, MT

"I told our team that we didn't play our best game today, certainly, but a sign of a great football team is that they can not play their best and still win," said Head Coach Bobby Hauck. "Teams that aren't great teams don't win when they don't play well, and we found a way to win. It probably wasn't as close as the score, but the score is what counts."

"We rushed for 250 basically and doubled them in rushing yards. We were 50 percent on third down and they were about 30 percent, and that's just right where we have to be," Hauck said. "We have to dig into it and say, why is there only 28 (points) on the board."

"They got in the end zone in the fourth quarter twice. A couple of those they had fourth and long and they are chucking it up and we're not making the play, which is just bad by us."

"Not good enough, but certainly good enough to get a win and I'm fired up to be 5-0 and 2-0," Hauck said. "When you're down six starters, don't play well and still go on the road and win, that's good stuff. We will go recruit next week and then we will be getting ready for the Idaho Vandals in Missoula."

garizzalies said:
Not a great game but a good win.

We were without our best defender and best offender.

Starters out:
Hill
Co. Walker
Bergen

Starters “lost”:
Cotton
L. Brown
(and Botkin)

Hometown of in-game subs used:
Fairfield, MT
Huntley, MT

True and agree. But if that was their third string QB I wouldn’t want to face #1.
And who knows what other players they were missing.

garizzalies said:
"I told our team that we didn't play our best game today, certainly, but a sign of a great football team is that they can not play their best and still win," said Head Coach Bobby Hauck. "Teams that aren't great teams don't win when they don't play well, and we found a way to win. It probably wasn't as close as the score, but the score is what counts."

"We rushed for 250 basically and doubled them in rushing yards. We were 50 percent on third down and they were about 30 percent, and that's just right where we have to be," Hauck said. "We have to dig into it and say, why is there only 28 (points) on the board."

"They got in the end zone in the fourth quarter twice. A couple of those they had fourth and long and they are chucking it up and we're not making the play, which is just bad by us."

"Not good enough, but certainly good enough to get a win and I'm fired up to be 5-0 and 2-0," Hauck said. "When you're down six starters, don't play well and still go on the road and win, that's good stuff. We will go recruit next week and then we will be getting ready for the Idaho Vandals in Missoula."

Very similar to what Nick Saban said after the "Bama game.

Every time I hear the words, "Ugly win," I'm fondly reminded of the 2000's...those were fun years! Great job Griz/Bobby & coaches! I loved it and can't wait to watch and see how the rest of the season plays out! So happy to have BH and company at the helm! Enjoy the ride!

Go Griz!

Historically, Poke-a-fellow has been a very difficult place to get a road dub for The Griz.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/idaho-states-holt-arena-serves-as-perplexing-challenge-to-montana-grizzlies/article_d9940072-3f8c-11ed-84a5-537b1ad86987.amp.html

Off hand, other than one other game I can recall, this might have been the most comfy W down there. Rejoice Griz Nation.

Griz need to score diving towards end zone, not fumble for a touchback. It would have been 35-6 with 8:43 to go.

Instead 2 quick IS TD's, totally 161 yards and at least 6 first downs in last 8:43 of game. Up that that point, the Griz D had held IS to 220 yards and no TD's.

As stated by others, too many other mistakes too.

Here is my take, I've been saying this for years. When the Griz are on top of the Conference and are dominating, we get to conference play and we get everybodys best shot. Every week the conference opponents give us hell. This helps us come playoffs because we are battle tested and ready by the conference foes leveling up their play. Sometimes those wins aren't pretty but we have to be able to take everyones best shot and still win. We did that today, ISU played inspired, didn't beat themselves. They were well coached and played hard all 4 quarters. They gave us their best shot and we still beat them while not playing well at all today. Championship teams have to win despite playing bad.

Honestly, I think that game was exactly what the Griz needed. It was an ego check and it came right as they enter their bye week. Plenty of time for them to assess what needs improvement. It also showed them some of their weaknesses that they can address during a week off, and forced them to deal with things like injuries and ejections.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Lucas looked off. Anyone know if he was playing while sick? He just seemed less focused than the first four games and didn't use his legs as effectively.

In 2009 we beat Davis, NAU, Eastern, and of course Idaho State by 7 or less. NAU took overtime. This team is more talented overall at the skill positions and the defense is elite. This isn’t the end of world. Close games happen. There’s always things to fix. Best part of Bobby is we win those type of games more times than not. Deep breathes people and it’s on to Idaho.

CocoaBear said:
Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Lucas looked off. Anyone know if he was playing while sick? He just seemed less focused than the first four games and didn't use his legs as effectively.
Don’t think he was sick, but remember this was his first BSC away game. Probably in a state of disbelief that he was playing an actual d1 football game in that facility. It throws off a lot of guys in their first trip their. They think they are being pranked

He will do better at Sac and Weber. Those look like real football stadiums.

Back